PDA

View Full Version : Resupplying at towns far from the trail???

2009ThruHiker
11-01-2005, 16:19
What are some suggestions about resupplying at towns like Franklin, NC, where you have to travel 10 miles to town? I'm somewhat concerned about hiking along highways, and the loss of time (2days to Franklin and back). Are taxis available at some of these towns with long distances? THANKS!

Lone Wolf
11-01-2005, 16:21
Hitchhiking is the way to go. These days it's fairly easy to get a ride at trail heads.

kaytee
11-01-2005, 16:23
Hitching into town isn't a problem at most road crossings. The people most likely to give you a ride into town realize that you are a hiker and are pretty harmless other than the smell. Often hostels will give you a ride back out to the trail.

Spirit Walker
11-01-2005, 16:59
Along the AT, local residents are used to hikers and are generally willing to give rides. In places like Maine, hitching becomes pretty much a necessity, though I've known people who refused to hitch. As you state, it makes for some long walks.

If you ever do any western long trails, the off trail distances on the AT seem really short in comparison. We had a few on the CDT that were 35 miles to town. At two passes, it was more than two hours before the first car appeared. Makes a 10 mile walk to town seem like a piece of cake.

Singe03
11-01-2005, 18:05
I think it was Franklin where we never even stuck a thumb out, a lady stopped almost as soon as we came out of woods and asked if we needed a lift. After we were done, we were walking to the edge of town to hitch back to the trail and again never made it, another local stopped and gave us a ride before we could even think about where a good spot was.

Ability to get a ride is really nothing to worry about in the south, just use your head about what rides you accept.

SalParadise
11-01-2005, 19:01
yeah, in the South it's pretty easy. There are so many thru-hikers out there that the towns are used to you and it's easy to get rides. Both times I went through Franklin I took Ron Haven's bus to his motel--he's there twice a day I believe. But people waiting for cars had no problems, either.

Maine can be a long wait for a car to drive by, but you'll get picked up by the first or second one by (they understand how remote the roads can be).

I did have problems hitching in Connecticut, though you can easily get through the state without having to thumb (just stop in Kent, right off the Trail). After a hospital visit I had a 12-mile roadwalk with my thumb out the entire time. I guess nobody wanted to get their Mercedes' smelly.

lobster
11-01-2005, 19:13
Once in a while you'll have a freak pick you up!

SalParadise
11-01-2005, 19:45

That would be a good thread if it hasn't been already, horrible hitchhiking experiences. Either you get that super-nice lady who drives 20 miles out of her way to drop you off or you get the drunk.

justusryans
11-01-2005, 19:57

Who exactly qualify's as a freak?:-?

tiamalle
11-02-2005, 00:15
I can't answer for other towns but Franklin,hitching is easy and safe.Locals talk to each other all the time to help the hiker tourism.Yes there is midnight taxi service at 828-524-4230 some motels have a list of hiker shuttlers fromlocal hiker clubs,# Eagles has a list or you call me at 828-524-4403 If you need to resupply,lodging,restuarants,outfitter or visit the local entertainmentcall me and ind I'll see the trail to town is as easy as Damascus,Hot Spring,and other trail towns and also fast and friendly.Also the prices is less than establishments right next to the trail.I will even help you find longer shuttlesat a bargin if needed,Ron

tiamalle
11-02-2005, 00:20
Who exactly qualify's as a freak?:-?
try to imagine what my greatAUNT LIZZIE the lice eat up looks like.

justusryans
11-02-2005, 02:29
try to imagine what my greatAUNT LIZZIE the lice eat up looks like.

EEW!!!!.....:D