PDA

View Full Version : Phone Cases on thru hike

BRamsey
02-17-2015, 09:59
Ok all you veterans, I've been doing several overnighters and plenty of day hikes (over 600 miles in the Smokies this year), and usually take my phone (iPhone 6) with a rudimentary case and a ziplock back for water protection. I'm considering a water resistant/proof case with drop protection for my thru hike this year, but am wondering if just drop protection is necessary as long as I have a zip lock bag. Any suggestions, specific case recommendations. My phone will be an integral part of my gear. Would a case with a built in battery be helpful (I have a spare battery pack).

saltysack
02-17-2015, 10:11
I'm only a section hiker and have been a big fan of lifeproof cases.....still waiting on one for 6plus...but currently use a newtrent water resistant case that I'm happy with until the fully waterproof lifeproof is out...having the phone in the lifeproof I was able to keep it readily accessible in the waist pocket of my ula circuit..offers rain and drop protection...to me it's worth the very small weight penalty...with this said I also carry TP.....I'm not a gram weenie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koozy
02-17-2015, 10:18
I'm only a section hiker and have been a big fan of lifeproof cases.....still waiting on one for 6plus...but currently use a newtrent water resistant case that I'm happy with until the fully waterproof lifeproof is out...having the phone in the lifeproof I was able to keep it readily accessible in the waist pocket of my ula circuit..offers rain and drop protection...to me it's worth the very small weight penalty...with this said I also carry TP.....I'm not a gram weenie!

+1 for Lifeproof cases and the New Trent external battery. I used both of these on my thru hike and the system never failed. The external battery only needed to be charged once per week since I kept my iPhone on airplane mode the entire time I was hiking. The external battery is a little heavy (11oz) but worth the weight.

saltysack
02-17-2015, 10:21
I have the smaller newtrent charger...think it's 6oz....great combo for me too

Coffee
02-17-2015, 10:37
zPacks phone/camera pouch. Supplement with padding cut out from an old windshield reflector if desiring additional padding.

woodguy
02-17-2015, 10:40
I made my pouch from reflectix ..

Deacon
02-17-2015, 12:58
I used the Lifeproof case last year and it does fully protect the phone from rain and dirt. However I also noticed it affects the flash function of the camera. The flash never worked while the phone was in the case. I ruined many pictures because of that.

saltysack
02-17-2015, 13:00
I've dropped my phone numerous times on and off trail...can't imagine not having in a decent case......just my .02.. Can't imagine a lifeproof weighs much more than a pouch that only protects while inside not during use...

saltysack
02-17-2015, 13:01
I used the Lifeproof case last year and it does fully protect the phone from rain and dirt. However I also noticed it affects the flash function of the camera. The flash never worked while the phone was in the case. I ruined many pictures because of that.

Interesting.....haven't noticed that....

msumax1985
02-17-2015, 13:04
My case is made by Osprey--I just leave it tucked down in my pack. I go to the woods to get away. I only pull it out to check the weather every other day, or so. :)

RangerZ
02-17-2015, 13:11
I have my phone in an Otter case. Cut a piece of cardboard to cover the screen and have it in a right sized ziplock. Like msumax its also inside my Osprey and doesn't get looked at a lot. Hard to drop it far if you're lying in a sleeping bag.

Connie
02-17-2015, 16:01
...buttoned shirt pocket, display facing in.

...jacket inner wallet pocket, display facing in.

Avoid: plastic zippers will scratch the display.

I don't even have the 2 mm snap-fit case I had before. I have no scratches.

saltysack
02-17-2015, 16:57
My case is made by Osprey--I just leave it tucked down in my pack. I go to the woods to get away. I only pull it out to check the weather every other day, or so. :)

I use mine for pics so like it handy...

QiWiz
02-17-2015, 17:05
I like the Lifeproof cases as they let me take pictures in the rain, which I can't do from the inside of a ziplock. Wish they were cheaper, but they work well. I use a rechargeable 11000 maH external battery pack from New Trent to recharge the iPhone on trail in between plug-in opportunities.

CarlZ993
02-17-2015, 17:29
I made my pouch from reflectix ..
I did this & put the entire thing in an el-cheapo waterproof neck carrier I bought @ Walmart. I also carried my spare battery (Samsung phone) & my charging cord w/ it.

soumodeler
02-17-2015, 17:39
I have a Lifeproof case I am taking on my thru this year. Love it so far. Does not interfere with the flash, but does make phone calls harder to hear. Not a big deal though.