PDA

View Full Version : crocs vs water shoes

squeezebox
02-17-2015, 11:34
crocs vs. water shoes. which weighs less? Which is more comfortable in camp.

Jake2c
02-17-2015, 11:46
There are many styles of each. In general I find crocs comfortable and light, water shoes smaller.

StubbleJumper
02-17-2015, 11:50
Go with fake Crocs instead. You can often find them at the dollar store for like $5 per pair. They are cheaper than real Crocs because the plastic/rubber is of lower quality, but that lower quality makes them *much* lighter than regular Crocs. And, if you get tired of them after 300 miles, just dump them in the hiker box because they only cost $5 to begin with...

DeerPath
02-17-2015, 12:42
Lost my 14 oz. Crocs while on the ADT last year. Bought a pair of Dollar General Crocs in Paw Paw, WVA for $8, weight 8 oz. per pair. They feel just a comfortable as regular Crocs.

Kerosene
02-17-2015, 14:15
I'd go with the Dollar General knock-offs vs. water shoes; just a lot more flexible. For summer campsites you might also go to Wal-Mart with your scale to see if you can find a pair of plastic slides that fit you. I bought an off-brand pair a number of years ago that weigh in a 7 ounces for size 10 men's. In the cooler months I use the outer shell of VivoBarefoot Ultras, but they are typically more expensive (8 oz; $25-$50 depending on sale).

ny breakfast
02-17-2015, 15:33
just got vivobarefoot's in the mail $20 shipped to my door on sale. they were highly recommended from a thru hiker i met on trail. at that price it was worth the higher quality and hassle i would have had to chase down in a store i might have just compromised and had something kicking around the gear closet that i might question if it's worth bringing.

Connie
02-17-2015, 15:56
I have Speedo slip-on water shoes. They are low-weight, low-volume easy to pack.

Crocs are very comfortable, I don't like their bulk for my backpack.

I really don't like stuff hanging off the outside, catching on branches and like that.

I am considering going to all mesh hiking shoes.

illabelle
02-17-2015, 16:49
I have two pair of cheap Croc knock-offs, paid $5 each. They are easy to slip on. I use them all the time in the garden.
I have another pair of even cheaper feeling knock-offs, not quite slip-on, with a velcro strap that secures them. These are the ones I take on the trail. Very light weight, and if I ever need to cross a creek in them, I won't worry about them slipping off my feet like the first two might do.
Neither type is durable. Walking across the driveway, I can feel every piece of gravel, and I'd be concerned about puncturing them on sticks and things if I tried to hike in them. I've used them in camp many times, and they're perfect. They are untested as creek shoes, but I feel good about them.

shelb
02-17-2015, 21:47
As others have said: FAKE crocs are better than Real Crocs or Water Shoes.
Because they are:
CHEAPER!
Lighter
Disposable if necessary
Just as comfortable - on a thru-hike (not long-term at home)

Poedog
02-17-2015, 21:48
Not taking camp/water shoes is the lightest option. What's comfort?

jupiterkn
02-18-2015, 08:09
What r thoughts on using the crocs to make water crossings? I know if it rains there is no hope for ur shoes. But is changing into crocs a bad idea?

Just thinking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StubbleJumper
02-18-2015, 10:29
I use my fake Crocs for water crossings. Just make sure that your trail shoes are lashed to your pack so they don't fall into the stream and float away. On deeper water crossings, I take off my pants too, and cross in my UnderArmor and fake crocs.

As a word to the wise, make sure that the ankle straps of your fake crocs are behind your heels so they don't fall off from the current.

mrcoffeect
02-18-2015, 10:35
In 2012 in hot springs my buddy wore his crocs as town shoes no socks. The first day in town it rained off and on all day.
The rain didnt stop us from walking around town. When we went back to the campground later that evening, my friend kicked off his crocs only to discover that they had blistered the tops of his feet. they looked like huge red raw diper rash. poor guy waa sore for days after.

squeezebox
02-18-2015, 11:01
I wear mock crocs at home all the time, no heel strap. How important is the heel strap? I could tie a short piece of cord through a hole in the shoe and the other end around my ankle so it doesn't float away.

Whiskey
02-18-2015, 14:00
My only issue is using crocs for swift water crossings. They slid off your feet easily and will do so in swift water or deep mud.

StubbleJumper
02-18-2015, 14:51
I wear mock crocs at home all the time, no heel strap. How important is the heel strap? I could tie a short piece of cord through a hole in the shoe and the other end around my ankle so it doesn't float away.

Sure, that sounds like it would work too. I've had an occasion or two of chasing a fake Croc down the stream after it slipped off my foot, so now I'm a bit more careful, particularly where there's a bit of current.

The most important is to ensure that your boots/trail runners are well lashed to your pack while crossing, because if you lose a hiking shoe, you are seriously screwed.

msumax1985
02-18-2015, 15:12
just got vivobarefoot's in the mail $20 shipped to my door on sale. they were highly recommended from a thru hiker i met on trail. at that price it was worth the higher quality and hassle i would have had to chase down in a store i might have just compromised and had something kicking around the gear closet that i might question if it's worth bringing.

Where did you find them for $20?! I have searched for these off and on in the past and never seem to find them much less than $50 incl shipping. Anyone know where I can get these for $20?

Scoop
02-18-2015, 15:55
Crocs are lighter, cheaper.

Scoop
02-18-2015, 15:57
Use the heel strap so you don't lose one in the water. Cord could be uncomfortable and snag on something.

Astro
02-18-2015, 17:09
Where did you find them for $20?! I have searched for these off and on in the past and never seem to find them much less than $50 incl shipping. Anyone know where I can get these for $20?

Try 6pm.com. I have caught them for below $20 once. Women's also usually run cheaper than men's (I assume due to excess inventory).

ny breakfast
02-18-2015, 17:16
looks like most the mens sold out but still some ladies

http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/shoe-finder

ny breakfast
02-18-2015, 17:27
10.5 and 10 in black salmon woman's if you have a smaller guys foot this might work for you scroll down the page, the shipping was free to my surprise when i checked out.

rocketsocks
02-18-2015, 20:12
a extra large ragg nap sock over a pair of crocs not only keeps the croc on your foot, but acts like a felt wading boot so you don't slip and slide on the mossy rocks below.

Poedog
02-18-2015, 21:58
If you hike in sneakers just cross in those, they'll dry.

fredmugs
02-19-2015, 09:16
Whatever you take make sure it stays strapped to your foot. First time I hiked in Maine I brought regular shower shoes and the current sucked it right off my foot and there was no retrieving it.

cbg
02-19-2015, 09:53
IMO, the inexpensive water shoes are better in the Summer on the AT than the fake crocs due to having few problems when swimming & bridge jumping.

StubbleJumper
02-19-2015, 20:42
IMO, the inexpensive water shoes are better in the Summer on the AT than the fake crocs due to having few problems when swimming & bridge jumping.

You wear shoes when you swim? I find that fake crocs are great for fording shallow creeks because the stones might hurt your bare feet. But if the water is deep enough for swimming, there's no pressure/weight on your feet anyway.....

NinjaFace
02-20-2015, 11:32
Flipflops and socks, all day

bemental
02-21-2015, 20:38
I'm on the Crocs side.

I don't like something that only serves one purpose, so my camp shoes need to double as my shower shoes/time off kicks. Camp can get pretty rocky/muddy, so I'd prefer not to take sandals for that, and I've seen some grungy showers in my days, so the Crocs win out for me.

Hangfire
02-28-2015, 23:29
Whatever you choose be careful not to become too comfortable in them. I was advised by a season hiker last year in Hot Springs that your feet become one with your hiking shoe (whichever type you use) so don't go on long walks to the water source or around town in your Crocs or flip flops as your feet (as mine did) will let you know about it. Only short (very short) distances in your camp shoes!

tuswm
03-01-2015, 18:28
http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Ragin-Water-Shoes-for-Men/product/120829053621886/