PDA

View Full Version : Any CDT hikers passing through Breckenridge/Copper Mountain area second week of July

Nodust
02-17-2015, 11:50
I would think that is early for NOBO but not sure.

The folks coming that won't be hiking are setting up in Breckenridge. I am planning on one three night trip and day hikes close to Breckenridge after that. Would love to have a beer with someone or if they need a ride somewhere and we can work it out.

I really want to hike 4 pass loop but I am worried that is too early for that hike. Lost Creek Wilderness looks like it would be good even earlier in the year so that is backup plan. Or just hike the CT or CDT for a few days.

Spirit Walker
02-17-2015, 14:47
When we did our NOBO hike in 2006 we left Silverthorne 9 July. We were back of the pack. That was a very low snow year.

So far Colorado has had fairly a low snow year, so you might be able to do the Four Pass loop in mid-July. It depends on what happens the next three months.

colorado_rob
02-17-2015, 15:58
I'd guess about 50% of the years the 4-pass loop would be fine the second week of July. Even heavier snow years the 4-pass is doable if you carry microspikes for the couple hard-snow spots (the worst one is just above Snowmass lake). I'd wait and see how the snow develops in March/April/May (the snowiest months) before deciding.

As much as I absolutely love the LCW, we never go there from June through September. It is very hot and dry there. I hope that if you do not try the 4-pass that you chose a place other than the LCW.

It has been talked about a few times on here, but a San Juan loop would be fantastic, and right now, they are running lean on snow. Drive to Silverton, get on the train SOBO to Needleton, head up Needle creek, go over Columbine Pass, head north along the Vallecito, catch the CO trail near Beartown, head west to Elk Park, catch a train back to Silverton. See yellow line in attached photo.

This is a great loop. Holler if you want more details.

Hot Flash
02-17-2015, 16:39
I'll be doing the Collegiate Loop somewhere around that time.

Nodust
02-17-2015, 18:53
I'd guess about 50% of the years the 4-pass loop would be fine the second week of July. Even heavier snow years the 4-pass is doable if you carry microspikes for the couple hard-snow spots (the worst one is just above Snowmass lake). I'd wait and see how the snow develops in March/April/May (the snowiest months) before deciding.

As much as I absolutely love the LCW, we never go there from June through September. It is very hot and dry there. I hope that if you do not try the 4-pass that you chose a place other than the LCW.

It has been talked about a few times on here, but a San Juan loop would be fantastic, and right now, they are running lean on snow. Drive to Silverton, get on the train SOBO to Needleton, head up Needle creek, go over Columbine Pass, head north along the Vallecito, catch the CO trail near Beartown, head west to Elk Park, catch a train back to Silverton. See yellow line in attached photo.

This is a great loop. Holler if you want more details.
Thanks for the info on LCW. I thought about Chicago Basin area but I am trying to keep close to Breckenridge. We've got a few people coming that won't do any hiking and they want to hit the spas and just chill in Breckenridge. I think my wife's friend got some deal on a condo time share. Want to do a 3-4 night hike then head back to Breckenridge and relax a day. Then hit some day hikes or maybe a one nighter.

3 hours is about as far as I would like to go from Breckenridge area. Last summer we drove all over Wyoming and Montana and I would rather keep driving time down this trip.

Spirit Walker
02-19-2015, 00:11
Head north on the CDT - you could make a loop of the official and Jim Wolf routes. There's some really beautiful hiking on JW's route.

handlebar
02-21-2015, 15:43
You can use the Summit Stage free buses to make a really nice loop. Starting at Gold Hill TH hike S over the 10-mile range on the CT/CDT toward Copper Mtn. At Copper, cross over to the N side of I-70 and follow the Ley CDT route N on the Gore Range Trail over Uneva and Eccles Passes. Then head down into Silverthorne where you can catch the bus back to Breckenridge. That is 34 miles and will take about 3 to 4 days.

For a longer loop, take the bus to Silverthorne then follow the the Ley CDT route over Ptarmigan Pass and on to Jones Pass where you intersect the official CDT then hike the "official" CDT south to Georgia Pass and on to Gold Hill TH. This takes you within 1/4 mile of Greys Peak, a 14er, and is 85.5 miles.

I hiked both these starting June 27, 2013 and finishing early on July 4th. There was snow in both Uneva and Eccles Passes, but I managed without microspikes or ice ax. On the second part of the loop, I had to bushwhack around a large snow field and cornice that obscured the CDT, but, again, that was a minor inconvenience.

Nodust
02-21-2015, 17:05
You can use the Summit Stage free buses to make a really nice loop. Starting at Gold Hill TH hike S over the 10-mile range on the CT/CDT toward Copper Mtn. At Copper, cross over to the N side of I-70 and follow the Ley CDT route N on the Gore Range Trail over Uneva and Eccles Passes. Then head down into Silverthorne where you can catch the bus back to Breckenridge. That is 34 miles and will take about 3 to 4 days.

For a longer loop, take the bus to Silverthorne then follow the the Ley CDT route over Ptarmigan Pass and on to Jones Pass where you intersect the official CDT then hike the "official" CDT south to Georgia Pass and on to Gold Hill TH. This takes you within 1/4 mile of Greys Peak, a 14er, and is 85.5 miles.

I hiked both these starting June 27, 2013 and finishing early on July 4th. There was snow in both Uneva and Eccles Passes, but I managed without microspikes or ice ax. On the second part of the loop, I had to bushwhack around a large snow field and cornice that obscured the CDT, but, again, that was a minor inconvenience.
I've had my eye on that loop. I want to hike from Breckenridge to Copper Mountain one of the days.