PDA

View Full Version : Recent Clothing Lists (again) for thru hikes

2009ThruHiker
11-01-2005, 16:33
Just looking for more recent clothing lists from individuals male and female for my wife and I to look at before our thru hike. Also if clothing was mailed back or received at certain points on the trail. Weights of the articles of clothing would be helpful also. THANKS!

SalParadise
11-01-2005, 19:23
hope I can help. This is what I brought on my hike:

2 Polypro shirts (from REI, $35), one sent home in Harpers Ferry and never mailed back
1 North Face long-sleeve shirt, $40, kept the entire way
1 pair swim trunks, $15 on sale
1 pair wind pants, $?, not really waterproof, but it wasn't a problem, kept the entre way
3 pair Ingenius socks, $15 each, one pair sent home in Harpers Ferry
3 pair sock liners, $?, sent home when my feet toughened
1 fleece jacket, sent home in Damascus, then got back a thinner wind jacket in New Hampshire somewhere
fleece gloves, sent home in Damascus and never returned
winter hat, kept the entire way
my rainjacket was one of those $0.99 cheap plastic ponchos (worked great)

Not having waterproof long pants was just fine, and I liked keeping the winter hat and long-sleeve through the summer for the occassional chilly evening at camp, plus I tied my long-sleeve to my pack for extra back-padding so I could walk with my shirt off in the summer.

Whistler
11-02-2005, 02:13
Lows down to the high 30s, highs to 90s [a fitful summer]:
Worn-
1 Starter t-shirt [5oz]
1 pair compression shorts [3]
1 pair Brooks tiny running shorts [3]
1 pair Smartwool running socks [2]
1 Headsweats Race cap [1.5]

Carried-
1 GoLite or Montane windshirt [3oz]
1 pair lightweight synthetic tights [4]
1 lightweight synthetic longsleeve shirt [5]
1 Equinox silnylon poncho [7]
1 pair Smartwool running socks [2]
1 Montbell Thermawrap Vest [7]
1 pair fleece gloves [1]
1 Wigwam knit winter cap [2]
1 bandana [1]

Never switched anything out, total carried: 2lbs. I have a thinner, lighter sleeping bag and a thinner, lighter me, so the clothing choices were made to push the temps a bit. As for changes next time, I'll probably hike in a longsleeve shirt like UnderArmor, and ditch the short sleeve. And then I'll replace the 5oz LS shirt and 7oz vest with something like a 10-12oz synthetic or down full-zip jacket.
-Mark