PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Triple Crown Section Hike Questions

ky chris
02-17-2015, 14:09
Last year with the help of Whiteblaze, I did a 52 mile through the Grayson Highlands which was a great trip. When I asked about places to go last year, the Virginia Triple Crown was mentioned too.

I'm starting to plan a section hike of the VA triple crown in mid-May. We are going to be out four days, three nights and want to do about 50 miles. Around 15 for three days and around 5 the last day.

Can anyone recommend starting and ending points? I will be hiring a shuttle, so I do want to be able to leave the car in a safe place.

mtntopper
02-17-2015, 16:50
If you want to hike sobo start in Daleville. About 9 miles in is Lamberts meadow. There are some campsites and a shelter. Water is available.
Day 2 continue sobo climb to Tinker Cliffs in the am maybe have breakfast on top. Continue sobo along ridge until you reach McAfees Knob. Very nice spot. Catawba Mtn. shelter is about 2 miles south. Campsites and shelter available. Water is available just south of shelter. If you wish to hike further this day I suggest to water up here. The next campsite and shelter is 1 mile further south. Don't count on having water here.
Day 3 Continue south in 1 mile cross route 311. Sometimes trail angels stash water in the parking lot otherwise you will have to carry some for the remainder of your trip. Anyway continue south and climb a short distance to reach top of ridge. Hiking south you will cross another road then continue to climb. This day you can reach Dragons Tooth. There is a connector trail in the gap that leads to Dragons Tooth parking lot. Continue past this junction until you see signs directing you to Dragons Tooth. If you wish to camp another night continue south on AT to Pickles Branch shelter. This shelter is located some distance from the AT. Water is available here.
Next mourning there is a short downhill hike to the small parking area at Trout Creek. Another option is to backtrack to the blue blazed Dragons tooth trail instead of hiking to Pickles Brach shelter then follow it out to parking area. I have left my car at any of these parking areas without having any trouble.

Option #2 Leave your car in the Kroger parking lot in Daleville and get a shuttle to Trout creek trailhead and hike north. This is a nice area to hike through. Expect lots of people that time of year. Please note that camping from route 785 to route 220 in Daleville is allowed only at the shelters and campsites that I mentioned. Enjoy your trip. If you want any additional info. pm me.

Can anyone recommend starting and ending points? I will be hiring a shuttle, so I do want to be able to leave the car in a safe place.[/QUOTE]

Odd Man Out
02-17-2015, 17:15
If going SOBO from Daleville (US 220) you are only allowed to camp at designated spots until VA 624. So Campbell Shelter at 15.4 mile in is closest to your 15 miles per day stopping point. From there 17 more miles get you to Pickle Branch Shelter. That would be a tough 17 miles as you are going up the Dragon's Tooth, which is quite a climb/scramble. 16.1 more miles gets you to Sarver Hollow Shelter, but if you want to dry camp on top of Sinking Creek Mt, that is a great place to camp (my best camp last summer, but you will need to carry water up there). From there it is 4 miles to VA 42. If you want to cut day two a little short, you could camp Just below Dragon's tooth (lost spectacles gap is popular, again, no water). Or you could try do dry camp on top of Cove Mt past Dragon's tooth (no water, don't recall if there were many good camp sites before you get down the mountain). Going SOBO has the problem in that there are no legal camp sites between US 220 and Lambert Meadow, which would make your last day 9 miles instead of 5, but it should be an easy downhill hike. My data doesn't show a designated camp site between LM and US220. Perhaps someone can correct me if that is not accurate. If you are willing to do 9 miles on that last day NOBO, I can put together a plan for that. I did this section last summer.