PDA

View Full Version : Design student in need of help!!

sujith.sunny86
02-17-2015, 16:19
Hello all good hikers, trekkers, backpackers out there,

I am a design student in need of direction from seasoned people like you.

I am in the verge of redesigning a trekking/hiking pole as part of my curriculum and would like to know what you guys are happy and mad about your trekking poles.

I would really appreciate if you could spend 10 minutes and fill out this survey .

This would really help me in getting close to an education design decision on what needs to be looked up on in this design venture.

The link
https://sunny22.typeform.com/to/sfe46F

Thank you all for taking the time out for me.
Sunny

Hot Flash
02-17-2015, 16:38
Why would you redesign something that has many excellent, well-engineered choices on the market already? You aren't going to come up with anything new.

Connie
02-17-2015, 16:54
Design a better internal adjustable locking unit.

I know very well "kids" can do these things.

In college, I was in the same design class as the kid that designed locking hub nuts for automobiles.

jimmyjam
02-17-2015, 19:35
cork handles, ergonomically angled, easy to replace carbide tips.

Frye
02-17-2015, 19:48
Why would you redesign something that has many excellent, well-engineered choices on the market already? You aren't going to come up with anything new.

Locking systems can always be improved!

kayak karl
02-17-2015, 19:51
i like pacer poles (http://www.pacerpole.com/). i little different then most. they feel like custom pistle grips for competition.

illabelle
02-17-2015, 21:07
I'd like to be able to press a button and have my trekking pole turn into an umbrella. Or a light saber, maybe. :)

rocketsocks
02-17-2015, 21:16
I want mine to hold a .410 shell like a bang stick.

Feral Bill
02-17-2015, 21:36
Pull out sword?

Malto
02-17-2015, 21:46
Design a better internal adjustable locking unit.

I know very well "kids" can do these things.

In college, I was in the same design class as the kid that designed locking hub nuts for automobiles.

^^^^^^this!!!!!!!

Slo-go'en
02-17-2015, 22:54
I've always wanted an electric cattle prod built into my poles. Dangerous if you turn it on in the rain, but it could be handy in some situations :)

The problem with tips from my experience with LIKI poles is there isn't any retaining system to keep the carbide tip from pushing up into the plastic shell or it isn't very effective. Which reminds me, I need to get another set of replacement tips.

bamboo bob
02-18-2015, 13:19
This seemed more like a marketing survey to see about putting an electronic fitness gizmo in a hiking pole.

Rocket Jones
02-18-2015, 14:03
I thought the survey was concentrating on a lot of useless (to a backpacker) peripheral features, like a possible first aid kit built into the pole.

Fireonwindcsr
02-18-2015, 14:46
The pole should be able to record mileage. Possible gps capabilities in case person gets lost...... I have more but I want a percentage %%%%%%%% $$$$$$$$$.

Shutterbug
02-18-2015, 17:24
Hello all good hikers, trekkers, backpackers out there,

I am a design student in need of direction from seasoned people like you.

I am in the verge of redesigning a trekking/hiking pole as part of my curriculum and would like to know what you guys are happy and mad about your trekking poles.

I would really appreciate if you could spend 10 minutes and fill out this survey .

This would really help me in getting close to an education design decision on what needs to be looked up on in this design venture.

The link
https://sunny22.typeform.com/to/sfe46F

Thank you all for taking the time out for me.
Sunny

I took the survey, but I didn't think it provided a good opportunity to express an opinion on the two "improvements" that are hinted at in the survery -- including first aid features or electronics in poles. Frankly, I would not buy poles with either of those features. I would not consider them "improvements."

Areas where there may be room for "improvements":
Locking features
Handles
Tips

Connie
02-19-2015, 00:31
provision for a camera mount

It can make a monopole for a camera.

Feral Bill
02-19-2015, 01:57
provision for a camera mount

It can make a monopole for a camera.
But of course, that's been done.

Connie
02-19-2015, 02:56
I don't want him to leave it out.

Traveler
02-19-2015, 08:15
In my view, putting first aid materials or GPS electronics into poles will increase their weight and disturb the balance of the poles. I have to agree with whats been said here, locking system improvement, handles/grips that can be adjusted perhaps, and tips. One thing I can't seem to ever find are new, high quality replacement or upgraded wrist straps.

Though a sensor in the grips to measure alcohol in sweat may be fun. Have a certain level of booze in the system would generate a shock on every fifth pole placement. Might be a good deterrent to party animals on the trail ;)

Frye
02-19-2015, 09:18
So pretty much what we want is Batman's utility bat in the form of a trekking pole.

I'd also ask for the option to leave off AT's drunk shock option and instead have it play the Wayne's World theme when my BAC goes over a certain level.

Traveler
02-19-2015, 09:50
So pretty much what we want is Batman's utility bat in the form of a trekking pole.

"Holy blistered hands, Batman! That pole has some punch" Boy Wonder

Tuckahoe
02-19-2015, 10:16
I started the survey but stopped when the questions had little do with trekking poles and were nearing the level of essay questions.

I have the suspicion that designing a pole was assigned by the professor rather than chosen by the student. Who knows, maybe the teaching point is to not over design a product.

As for design, my first thought is to keep it simple. I personally am not looking for my poles to serve as a Rambo survival knife/Batman utility belt. Work on bullet proof locking features. Focus on quality, sturdy lightweight materials that allow even better adaptation of trekking poles for use as shelter poles or hammock spreader bars.

If anything though, how about developing a pole that allows customization of the grip by the customer. Not everyone has the same size hands or prefer slightly different grip angels. Smith & Wesson and F&N for example offer pistols with different sized grip panels and inserts that allows the shooter to customize the pistol grip for their comfort. Why not develop this concept for pole grips?

FlyPaper
02-19-2015, 11:00
When making trekking poles, do NOT include shock absorbers.

shakey_snake
02-22-2015, 12:24
Couldn't take survey, the screen kept scrolling all over the place.

capehiker
02-22-2015, 16:30
I don't reply to one post and run members looking for us to complete surveys. They haven't been on since they posted so apparently they are not concerned. With that being said, you could create a pole specific stickpic that comes with the poles instead of buying separately.

ocourse
02-22-2015, 18:47
I took the survey in 3 minutes. I didn't see anything so strange about it, but I did read some less-than-helpful comments. Give the thing a chance, and if you don't approve just don't participate.