PDA

View Full Version : Winter Trips

NoSew
02-17-2015, 22:46
What is the one item you don't want to forget on a winter backpacking trip? Ideally looking for answers other than the obvious.

kayak karl
02-17-2015, 22:49
^>v< compass

bigcranky
02-17-2015, 23:16
The awareness and willingness to cancel if the weather forecast is bad, or turn around and go back to the car if the weather turns bad at the beginning of the trip. The ability to set a firm turn-around time for a summit attempt and then stick to it. Serious winter isn't very forgiving of mistakes.

(This is assuming you have the obvious gear like the right bag, shelter, and clothing.)

Sarcasm the elf
02-17-2015, 23:41
Besides the obvious?

Kahtoola Microspikes

https://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/

rocketsocks
02-17-2015, 23:45
knowledge and more importantly the where with all to employ it correctly and at the correct time. That may seem obvious, but to many it seems all to often it is regarded as "I always wanted to learn that about"

4eyedbuzzard
02-17-2015, 23:56
Credit card to rent a nice cabin with wood stove when the weather turned bad.
Oh a serious response?
A good winter tent.
Extra:
fire starting supplies.
batteries for headlamp (long nights).
pair of dry socks.
stove fuel.
food.
And a book to read during the long nights.

One Half
02-18-2015, 01:27
A hiking partner

kayak karl
02-18-2015, 08:09
knowledge and more importantly the where with all I've been known to forget this a few times, sometimes it had nothing to do with hiking :rolleyes:

colorado_rob
02-18-2015, 09:09
A GPS. I know, one shouldn't depend on an electronic device.... but a GPS has saved us twice from having to Bivouac (we had a map and compass too, of course). Which leads to the other piece of gear: A bivy sac! Plus matches and a fire starter. With those latter two pieces of gear I think I could survive anything.

peakbagger
02-18-2015, 09:29
The question is bit to broad, recommended gear in Maine is going to be different than gear in Georgia. I personally don't trust a GPS in NH in winter, when it works its great but a compass and some key bearings is a lot more reliable. A bivy sack is definitely a must although some folks carry a burrito wrap instead. In ME and NH a piece of foam to sit on is highly recommended, not for comfort but for heat retention.

colorado_rob
02-18-2015, 09:37
... In ME and NH a piece of foam to sit on is highly recommended, not for comfort but for heat retention.Good call on the piece of foam, though not sure why it is a ME specific piece of gear :-) ... goes along with the Bivy, a few feet of foam and a bivy and you can hunker down, not necessarily comfortable, but survivable.

LoneStranger
02-18-2015, 09:47
True winter camping is about all the things so I'd be tempted to say that, but since you limited the question to one item I'll go with common sense.

George P Burdell
02-18-2015, 21:14
Snacks that are edible straight out of your pack:
Clif bar at 0F = brick
Raisins at 0F = extreme jaw muscle workout
You get the idea...

saltysack
02-18-2015, 21:17
Yep a frozen cliff bar w a frozen water bottle stinks!!!! I always rotate cliff bars into my pockets while hiking to thaw out...and I sleep w my water bottle and bfast, fuel can and filter....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lyle
02-18-2015, 22:13
Good call on the piece of foam, though not sure why it is a ME specific piece of gear :-) ...

I agree, a closed cell foam sit pad is always in my pack, year 'round.

My winter specific, always want: Down Booties.

Tipi Walter
02-19-2015, 00:39
My winter specific, always want: Down Booties.

I used to carry WM down booties and they are good for in-camp walking around the tent in the snow, better than crocs because crocs let in snow onto your socks. Lately I leave the booties at home and use my Nilas down mittens for in-tent foot warmth when conditions warrant. They fit pretty good, just can't walk in them---

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2015-Trips-161/Welcome-to-2015/i-HWHT8B2/0/L/Trip%20161%20099-L.jpg

rocketsocks
02-19-2015, 02:38
I've been known to forget this a few times, sometimes it had nothing to do with hiking :rolleyes:
Tis true for me too, sometimes I forget what I know, till I remember...then it's to late, oh fogetabouit!

Traveler
02-19-2015, 08:17
Perhaps overstated, but given my concern for this; Being able to recognize early onset hypothermia and the knowledge in how to correct it quickly.

Lyle
02-19-2015, 08:38
Just an additional thought on what I said above: The hooded version would add a LOT of comfort. My hooded, PrimaLoft jacket is one of my favorite pieces of gear.

Lyle
02-19-2015, 08:39
Woops, that was meant for a different thread - sorry.

Bati
02-19-2015, 20:43
plastic bags (for feet) and a good water filter (chemicals can take too much time and you'll never carry enough fuel to boil water)

Glogg
02-21-2015, 23:38
Sunglasses, and backups as well. I forgot mine on an overnight, it was a bright sunny day with plenty of snow, and I turned around a few hours after hitting the trailhead when I noticed the sky looking kind of purple.