PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a May/June Hike?

Goonky
02-17-2015, 23:21
Hello,

Looking for suggestions for a spring section hike. I'm in Maine, would prefer not to drive further south than Virginia. Looking to do 100 miles. I average 8-10 miles a day depending on terrain. I can do 3-4 days before needing a resupply. I hike with my dog Charlie, (great on the leash).

I was thinking maybe Shenandoah National Park - that's a little more than 100 miles, lots of resupply I believe. But I wouldn't mind a section further north. I believe northern Pennsylvania is the rocky section, what are southern PA? I've heard it's flat (if flat exists), I'm not opposed to that, hope to do it all eventually. New York - Conn? Conn into Mass? What say you all?

I've done most of Vermont, half of Maine, the Grayson Highlands and north of the Smokies up to Hot Springs. Looking for a new section, maybe end of May, early June. Suggestions please!

Just Bill
02-18-2015, 00:12
Harper's Ferry North would give you pretty easy access on and off (including lots of public transportation) and easy trail. Nice thing about HF is you can get there again easy when you have a little more time and do HF south to Waynesboro. Going north you can pick up wherever in PA you finish easier next time out.

I'm a big fan of NY/NJ/Mass/Conn.

Probably favor NY/NJ overall if you don't care about skipping around with your sections.

Goonky
02-18-2015, 10:52
Harper's Ferry North would give you pretty easy access on and off (including lots of public transportation) and easy trail. Nice thing about HF is you can get there again easy when you have a little more time and do HF south to Waynesboro. Going north you can pick up wherever in PA you finish easier next time out.

I'm a big fan of NY/NJ/Mass/Conn.

Probably favor NY/NJ overall if you don't care about skipping around with your sections.

Thank you so much for this! I'll start looking at maps. May I ask - what is it about NY/NJ/Mass/Conn that you like? Easy trail? Good views? Easy resupply?

MisterQ
02-18-2015, 12:17
I will be doing Pen Mar to Duncannon starting May 16. If you end up in PA around that time let me know, I'll bring along a Milk Bone for Charlie. Generally that section seems to meet your requirements. 3 day resupply and manageable terrain. I am planning an average of 10 mile days with one 17 mile day thrown in. Seven days, 83 miles.

bigcranky
02-18-2015, 13:17
Late May and early June are pretty spectacular months to hike in Virginia. Shenandoah is good, as would be a hike from US 33 Swift Run Gap (in SNP) south to somewhere around Montebello or Buena Vista. Resupply in Waynesboro.