PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Side Excursions ?

lobster
11-01-2005, 19:06
For example: Washington DC on the 4th

Gray Blazer
11-02-2005, 14:38
Erwin Burrito, anyday!

jackiebolen
11-02-2005, 21:53
I went to Washington for a week to meet my mom and have a vacation. It was the ultimate side trip after hiking 1000 miles.

lobster
11-02-2005, 21:57
I'll add another. "Peaks of Otter" for a vacation hike within a hike!

neighbor dave
11-03-2005, 06:41
the beer cooler every time i was in town!:bse :bse :bse :bse :bse :bse :bse :bse :bse :bse :bse :bse :bse :bse :bse :bse :bse :bse :bse :bse :bse :bse :bse

CynJ
11-03-2005, 09:03
If in MA - go to the Natural Marble Bridge in North Adams.

This is absolutely gorgeous!! I've got some great pics I'll try and find and scan them in. Well worth a quick stop over.

Kent Falls in Kent, CT is pretty too - but there are probably better waterfalls along the trail.

rickb
11-03-2005, 09:06
If in MA - go to the Natural Marble Bridge in North Adams.

Really?

I've driven by the turn off many scores of times on business and pleasure, but never stopped.

Thanks to you I will!

Rick B

CynJ
11-03-2005, 09:19
We really liked it (about 4yrs ago I think we were there- maybe 5)

Its not an all day sort of thing but you can easily spend a couple hours poking around-makes a nice picnic spot. There's a pond and then walkways that go down in to the gorge. I'll try and get some pics up later if I can find them. (I have 3 banker boxes full of pictures :D)

CynJ
11-03-2005, 20:27
I scanned in my negatives of the Marble Bridge park and dumped them to an online folder if anyone is interested.

http://www.geocities.com/cynjendrejcak/bridge/

These were taken the summer of 1999

weary
11-03-2005, 20:54
For example: Washington DC on the 4th
Well, I didn't do many excursions away from the trail, except to resupply. But I took almost all the blue blazed side trails to waterfalls, scenic views, historic sites, and such, at least in the south.

I went to Springer basicly to see the southern Appalachians. It was only later that I became committed to ending my spring, summer and fall on Katahdin.

Weary

rickb
11-03-2005, 20:56
I scanned in my negatives of the Marble Bridge park and dumped them to an online folder if anyone is interested.

Thanks.

We will be back that way, and will be sure to stop.

FWIW, if you are a wimp (cold wise) there is a park not too far from there that has some nice CCC-era cabins with pot bellied stove for a cheap winter get away. http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/svym.htm

We were there one weekend last winter, and after getting our fill of snowshoeing, stumbled upon a museum in N. Adams that went over the history of this place: http://www.boudillion.com/hoosac/hoosac.htm I wouldn't have the guts towalk through it myself, but even the presentation at the museum was facinating. It was "The Big Dig" of the 1800s.

Good to have somethin new for next time.

Burn
11-04-2005, 00:55
near kincora is a blue blaze that used to be the AT...coon den falls...not big, but it is great for a shower...maybe 6/10's mile extra. from the looks of it, few go there now adays

Gray Blazer
11-04-2005, 12:58
Thanks for the pics, CynJ. That's prewtty awesome!

Sly
11-04-2005, 13:17
Gettysburg.