PDA

View Full Version : Wind protection for the Pocket Rocket

JBandStacy2014
02-18-2015, 12:02
Does anyone have any ideas on what we could either buy or makeshift to block the wind around the Pocket Rocket and fuel canister. I have seen other hikers use shields around alcohol systems, but never the MSR. With the weather we've had lately, I feel like we are using more fuel to heat up water to combat the weather.

We are headed to Mountain Crossings soon, so hopefully we can find something there. But I figured I would put it out here to you guys.

Stacy

Malto
02-18-2015, 12:04
Aluminum foil could be a very inexpensive and easy to customize option.

JBandStacy2014
02-18-2015, 12:06
Yes, I agree, but at some point, that would put us carrying around a tube of foil LOL.
If we cannot find anything else, I am sure this will be our option.
Thanks!

NoSew
02-18-2015, 12:21
I made one for my pocket rocket last night using aluminum foil, pieces of a wire coat hanger, and duct tape. Looks like it will work great!

JBandStacy2014
02-18-2015, 12:29
Sounds great!

No Directions
02-18-2015, 12:47
Aluminum roof flashing. It's light, folds easily and is more durable than foil.

Gray Bear
02-18-2015, 12:53
Does anyone have any ideas on what we could either buy or makeshift to block the wind around the Pocket Rocket and fuel canister. I have seen other hikers use shields around alcohol systems, but never the MSR. With the weather we've had lately, I feel like we are using more fuel to heat up water to combat the weather.

We are headed to Mountain Crossings soon, so hopefully we can find something there. But I figured I would put it out here to you guys.

Stacy

I've been thinking about this as well. I just ordered a Micro Rocket last night and I'm thinking about using some Carbon felt as a skirt around the bottom of the pot. I'm not quite sure how to attach it though

RED-DOG
02-18-2015, 13:07
Yes, I agree, but at some point, that would put us carrying around a tube of foil LOL.
If we cannot find anything else, I am sure this will be our option.
Thanks!

just reuse the same piece of aluminum foil, what i do is i will triple the aluminum foil folding it upon it self and then poke some holes in the bottom of it for air circulation and everytime i get finished with it i will fold it up and put it inside my cookpot, the same piece of aluminum foil should last a long while i have seen folks reuse the same piece over an entire thru-hike.

rocketsocks
02-18-2015, 13:08
Make about a 4 ply strip outta aluminum foil, fold it up and stow when not in use...should last a good long time, get some from a restaurant, don't forget to tip your waiters and waitresses.

slip a piece of hard or tent stake wire threw the burner legs letting it project through and passed the vertical plane on the pots sides. Impale the foil on the extruding ends of the wire about 1/4 of the way down the foil leaving just enough to rap around the bottom of the pot loosely, and suspend down past the burners flame. this is a very imperfect thing but'll work just fine.

rocketsocks
02-18-2015, 13:10
Make about a 4 ply strip outta aluminum foil, fold it up and stow when not in use...should last a good long time, get some from a restaurant, don't forget to tip your waiters and waitresses.

slip a piece of hard or tent stake wire threw the burner legs letting it project through and passed the vertical plane on the pots sides. Impale the foil on the extruding ends of the wire about 1/4 of the way down the foil leaving just enough to rap around the bottom of the pot loosely, and suspend down past the burners flame. this is a very imperfect thing but'll work just fine.Christmas tree ornament hooks work good to, make from paper clips, hang em from the folding legs...this is a little wobbly though...but it works.

RED-DOG
02-18-2015, 13:11
just reuse the same piece of aluminum foil, what i do is i will triple the aluminum foil folding it upon it self and then poke some holes in the bottom of it for air circulation and everytime i get finished with it i will fold it up and put it inside my cookpot, the same piece of aluminum foil should last a long while i have seen folks reuse the same piece over an entire thru-hike.

or aluminum flashing works great useing the same principles, poking holes in the bottom but you have to fashion some type of closure. so it will close around the stove and not flop around.

RED-DOG
02-18-2015, 13:13
or i have actually used my backpack to block the wind of my stove.

rocketsocks
02-18-2015, 13:17
just reuse the same piece of aluminum foil, what i do is i will triple the aluminum foil folding it upon it self and then poke some holes in the bottom of it for air circulation and everytime i get finished with it i will fold it up and put it inside my cookpot, the same piece of aluminum foil should last a long while i have seen folks reuse the same piece over an entire thru-hike.RED DOG, had I seen this post, i'd have quoted, and bumped it with a YUP , and maybe a small caveat.

RED-DOG
02-18-2015, 13:19
RED DOG, had I seen this post, i'd have quoted, and bumped it with a YUP , and maybe a small caveat.

just trying to help the less experienced thats all.

rocketsocks
02-18-2015, 13:27
just trying to help the less experienced thats all.
I hear ya! you always do, I appreciate that, and you do it well.

Rocket Jones
02-18-2015, 14:01
Tougher than foil, not as pricey as aluminum flashing, get a disposable oven pan (like for cookies or a turkey) at the store. Cut it to length - I had to cut diagonally for my diameter pot. To be clear, do NOT put this around the canister, hang it from the pot down to just below the burner level. I use a small binder clip to hold the ends together.

Maui Rhino
02-18-2015, 16:05
As Rocket Jones said, do not enclose the canister with foil, only the burner. Overheating the canister will cause it to explode. Do a search for "canister stove windscreen" as this was discussed a couple months ago. I posted a pic there of my aluminum flashing windscreen. I used bicycle spokes to hang mine from the pot supports, but when I get around to making version 2.0, I plan to use Christmas ornament hooks and turkey pan foil to drop a little weight.

Sirsnappy09
02-18-2015, 18:22
There is a thread about this somewhere already. A wb member fashioned one using a small ccf pad or so.etching. I would thiink anything to block the wind and not enclose the canister would be great. Or if you must use canister get a kovea spider. They are pretty awesome and not much more weight. I love mine but I also like to do more than just add hot water meals. Been there done that and won't go back. Good luck.

Slo-go'en
02-18-2015, 18:25
Yes, make sure you keep a good space between the screen, canister and pot. Besides overheating the canister you can soften up the metal used to support the pot and it will bend under the weight of a pot full of water.

Screening from the wind will help, but getting 35 degree water to boil in cold temps takes a lot of energy which is why white gas stoves are preferred in winter conditions.

Donde
02-18-2015, 18:36
Site selection and then use your pack or tent for a windbreak, you do not need more gear. Also the reason you are using more fuel is because iso mix performance sucks in the cold. Keep your fuel in your sleeping bag with you before breakfast/dinner, or inside you jacket whatever to partially mitigate this.

MuddyWaters
02-18-2015, 20:46
Water bottles and foodbags do the trick. Just dont get them too close. After that, rocks and logs work too.

saltysack
02-19-2015, 09:21
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
02-19-2015, 09:21
Site selection and then use your pack or tent for a windbreak, you do not need more gear. Also the reason you are using more fuel is because iso mix performance sucks in the cold. Keep your fuel in your sleeping bag with you before breakfast/dinner, or inside you jacket whatever to partially mitigate this.

++1

QiWiz
02-19-2015, 12:57
Here's my latest idea: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/108407-Ultralight-canister-stove-windscreen-Holy-Grail-found?highlight=holy+grail

Sheriff Cougar
02-21-2015, 21:29
I went to Dollar General and looked in their cooking supplies. Found a heavy duty foil baking pan. Cut it with scissors to fit however you want then fold it or roll it up. Works great.

Hoofit
02-21-2015, 21:35
Sargent Rock showed somewhere how to build one out of an oven pan /heavy duty foil.
i made one for my Pocket Rocket and it worked great!

brancher
02-21-2015, 22:15
Buy an Oven liner if you can find one, then cut it out to be about 6" wide by 17" (or so) long. If you wanna be fancy cut it 7" wide and fold 1/2" on top and bottom to make nice even edges. Then use a hole punch to punch holes about 1/2" from the bottom edge, and about 3/4" or so along the entire bottom. This will shield your Pocket Rocket and 100 gr propane can and bring the wind screen up to the bottom of the cook pot. If you want, use 1 paper clip to hold the windscreen together (but I haven't found this to be a necessity. Ideally, you want a little gap between the windscreen and the pot - many folks say about 1/4" all around - to facilitate a chimney-like effect - ymmv.

To store the windscreen fold it in half lengthwise and wrap it around the inside of your cookpot -- or don't fold it and wrap it around the outside of the cookset.
If you cannot find an oven liner, then go to Walmart adn get the heaviest gauge Reynolds Wrap you can find, double it or triple it to dimensions above, and use that. It'll last a long time if you take care of it.

Like Donde said, sleep with the fuel. It is practical - and fun.

brancher
02-21-2015, 22:18
And do not try use foam rubber and tape for a flippin' wind screen (geez).

saltysack
02-21-2015, 23:00
Here's my latest idea: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/108407-Ultralight-canister-stove-windscreen-Holy-Grail-found?highlight=holy+grail

Looks great....could also secure with ur tent stakes or trekking poles...