PDA

View Full Version : SOBO 2015 Snow delay…??

Purphaz13
02-18-2015, 16:00
Looking to start Mid June 2015 SOBO. Would that be doable with all the snow the NE is getting this yr? Looking for guidance from those in that region/historical date on snow melt rates.

Poedog
02-18-2015, 18:11
You'll be fine.

Slo-go'en
02-18-2015, 18:18
Still too early to tell. Mid June should be fine, but the mud, bugs and high water crossing could be insane. It all depends on how much more snow we get in March and April and how quickly it warms up. We'll let you know in mid June :)

Purphaz13
02-19-2015, 03:35
Thanks gents. If anything it'll add more of a challenge.

Slo-go'en
04-24-2015, 13:43
Seeing we just got yet another snow storm last night, with more snow showers forecast for the next 7 days and the continued colder then average temps (also forecast to continue into June), makes the chances of Kathadin being climbable before June 1st looking less and less likely. Heck, if this weather keeps up, it will still be snowing in June!

Good luck people, pack some warm clothes and good rain gear. I'm guessing June will be a rough month to be in Maine this year. Oh boy! It warmed up to 35 today (at my house at 1500 feet).

Water Rat
04-24-2015, 16:58
Thankfully, no new snow for me! Happy dance! However, I am still working on snow removal and just came back inside from a couple more hours spent shoveling. Great workout, but I will be happy to see it go if it ever sees fit to completely melt.

ny breakfast
04-24-2015, 18:07
no snow here but got some flurries last night and this morning at 600' in northern nj getting frustrating planing for a sobo out of harpers ferry i know i'm going to hit warm weather at some point, but the way this year has been maybe have a Christmas in July party somewhere.

egilbe
05-11-2015, 19:07
To give you an idea, I just hiked over Old Speck at 4170 feet and there is still 6 feet of snow on the less sunny sides and in the Spruce trees. Its melting fast, but still plenty deep. I actually talked a guy out of starting at Grafton Notch and hiking to Pinkham Notch because the snow was so deep. He planned on doing it in three days. He changed his mind :)