PDA

View Full Version : Gave Notice and Recieved a Surprising Response

Jack89
02-18-2015, 16:04
I work as project manager for a large contract security company and have worked with the same client for about 8 years now. I gave my notice on Monday and told both my boss and our client that I was quitting and going on a thru-hike of the AT starting in April.

They were both surprised at first and thanked me for the six week notice. They were cool with me working until I left for the hike.

Then yesterday our client told me that he was going to try and work it so I could return to my job after the hike, and my boss said the same. I told them I was flattered, but wasn't sure that I wanted to put them out like that, and to be honest, wasn't sure if I wanted to come back to my job.

I was called down to my bosses office again this morning and wondered what else there was to talk about. He asked me if I would be willing to wear the company brand and take a GoPro with me to record my trip. He said the company would also want to take a few interviews while I was on trail. I politely told him that this was more of a personal thing and I didn't want to go that route, but appreciated the offer. He asked if I would just be willing to do a before, middle and after interview for the company, and before I could answer he told me to think about it for a few days.

This is not what I was expecting. I suppose it's a good opportunity for some folks, but I personally think it would just cheapen the experience.

I'm considering the interviews, but probably will tell him no.

Has anyone else done something like this? I would really like to hear what y'all think.

Cheers.

bigcranky
02-18-2015, 16:23
From the company's point of view, it's good public relations -- "hey, one of our employees is doing this cool thing" -- and it makes them look like a decent, caring employer (which they may well be :) ).

Your boss has provided some very useful information about your perceived value to the company. If you think you'd like to go back, or even just keep your options open, the interviews might be a good idea (can't really hurt), and there is no requirement that you return at the end.

Conversely, if you break an ankle on the fourth day out, it might be nice to have a welcoming employer when you get home, ya know? :)

TNhiker
02-18-2015, 16:28
yeah...

i agree with cranky..........

however, i think you should ask them to up the ante and kick in some money.................

cant hurt to ask and all that..............

SteelCut
02-18-2015, 16:33
You don't want to burn any bridges. As bigcranky mentioned you may encounter a situation that forces you off the trail early and you it would be good to have a potential job to go back to until you can do the hike again later. If you really don't want that job back again then that is also a consideration.

However, I do agree with your decision about the interview's and GoPro, etc. It is an invasion on something that is fairly personal for some of us.

Walkintom
02-18-2015, 16:35
When I left my job prior to hiking the AT, I had no intent of returning to it. In fact, we were moving 1500 miles away after finishing the hike and we already owned the new place. I KNEW I wasn't returning to the job. However, I was part of a close knit team and really cared about the success of that team. I gave my boss several months notice, had the line of succession all trained to step up and take new positions of responsibility and participated in the interview process for places where no one could step up - I'd been wearing several hats and it just wasn't going to be that simple to transition seamlessly.

I keep in touch with lots of folks from my previous life but I don't want to go back to it. It sounds like your boss believes that you are valuable enough to do things to try to retain you after your hike. And that your company is proud to have you associated with it.

If you know for a fact that you simply aren't going to go back to that no matter what then you should decline to be a brand ambassador for them if you don't feel comfortable doing it.

If you have nothing lined up and you might want or need that job then it's worth considering.

If my circumstances had been different and I'd have possibly been back in the market for my old job then I would have considered such an offer - many people find this sort of adventure unattainable because they're too rooted down and really enjoy hearing about the experiences of people who go do it. Sharing the experience has not cheapened it one bit for me. I've spoken to several groups about our hiking experience and found the process to be fulfilling. YMMV.

Ender
02-18-2015, 16:48
Honestly, I agree with Cranky as well. And I'd personally say it won't cheapen anything... it's just interviews, video, photos, etc etc etc... it can be as fun as you make it. I say go for it.

Doc
02-18-2015, 16:55
First off, do what you think is best for you. That said, I can't imagine that anyone would turn down such an offer to keep on good terms with an employer. Where's the harm? If a local reporter caught up to you in Harpers Ferry and asked to interview you about your experiences would you feel like you were selling out? I would be glad to spread the word about the beauty and magical qualities about the trail. Who knows what will happen. You might suffer an injury at some point and need to leave the trail. You might decide to do the PCT next but need to work for a year somewhere to get cash for your hike. Again, only you know what's best but it sure seems like can only benefit by accepting the graciousness of your boss.

Astro
02-18-2015, 17:03
Lot of good advice here.

peakbagger
02-18-2015, 17:08
Never burn your bridges, you never know, consider that with no fault of your own you have a injury that puts you off the trail. The extra time spent with an interview or two would we worth its weight if you need a job.

OCDave
02-18-2015, 18:08
If you like and respect your employer, you should consider their offer. Rather than cheapen the experience there is a potential that the interview experience could enrich both your hiking experience and future career options.

Good Luck with the hike.

Slo-go'en
02-18-2015, 18:13
People take videos, do interviews, post blogs and journals on line for the whole world to see and read. What your boss is asking isn't much different and your co-workers will likely enjoy following your progress, hearing your stories and supporting you along the way. It could be a win-win situation.

Mags
02-18-2015, 18:38
An interview before, in the middle and after is pretty painless and does not, at least IMO, cheapen the experience. At most, 3 hrs of your time total to have a steady job when you come back from a thru-hike seems a really good trade-off. It is not like you are trying to makes sales arrangements while hiking. :) On the positive side, you may inspire others in your company to explore their own passions and that is a wonderful gift to give.

rocketsocks
02-18-2015, 18:56
From the company's point of view, it's good public relations -- "hey, one of our employees is doing this cool thing" -- and it makes them look like a decent, caring employer (which they may well be :) ).

Your boss has provided some very useful information about your perceived value to the company. If you think you'd like to go back, or even just keep your options open, the interviews might be a good idea (can't really hurt), and there is no requirement that you return at the end.

Conversely, if you break an ankle on the fourth day out, it might be nice to have a welcoming employer when you get home, ya know? :)
also makes for a great resume should you not return to your place of employment , but decide to make a lateral move...no one could argue that employment history. From a human resource point of view, what's good for one company is good for another.

rocketsocks
02-18-2015, 18:57
If you like and respect your employer, you should consider their offer. Rather than cheapen the experience there is a potential that the interview experience could enrich both your hiking experience and future career options.

Good Luck with the hike.this was exactly my thought.

Jack89
02-18-2015, 19:33
Thanks for all the very good advice. It does makes sense to do a few interviews for the sake of keeping options open and spreading a little inspiration. I have some thinking to do on this. Thanks again.

Drybones
02-18-2015, 20:30

Good Luck with the hike.

Agree...I'd be grateful to work for these guys.

RockDoc
02-18-2015, 20:53
Make your decision with the knowledge that over 80% never finish their thru hikes.

saltysack
02-18-2015, 21:25
This might help keep u on trail....make u feel accountable for completing your hike...keep u from quiting when things get tough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speakeasy TN
02-18-2015, 23:12
Maybe it's a Security thing. In '11 my boss said "see ya when you get home." and when I got back it was "Glad you're here, we're bleeding OT"

Jake2c
02-19-2015, 00:02
It's a personal choice. For me, it would be a no brainer. I wish I had had that type of job. I had to wait to retire.

redseal
02-19-2015, 21:00
That is a pretty good deal. I also work for a large corporation and often wondered if they ever would see a potential benefit for PR purposes. Interesting to hear that my thoughts actually happened somewhere!

dudeijuststarted
02-19-2015, 21:25
That is amazing. All of my employers have never heard of exercise and would be turned to stone by daylight so it astounds me that someone offered this to you.

I'm convinced my universe is illusory.

garyfromboston
02-19-2015, 21:31
Heck.... I'm only doing the Ga. section in April with a co-worker and plan on taking two GoPros and a dozen extra batteries to capture the experience. Why not do the same and share it with them?

Obiwan
01-26-2016, 18:59
The world is a VERY small place....never burn a bridge (unless it really needs burning and then nuke it)

4eyedbuzzard
01-26-2016, 19:18
Unless you can retire comfortably tomorrow, you'd be crazy not to grant them whatever "interviews" and journals/updates they asked for in return for supporting your desire to hike. Most employers wouldn't. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

egilbe
01-26-2016, 19:28
Since this was started last year, I wonder if he ever went on his hike?

Malto
01-26-2016, 19:33

absolutely agree with this. Your story should also be shared on future threads on whether and how to give notice for a thru. You may discover that you have a lot less stress on your thru knowing you have options. Every person I hiked with on my thru had the cloud hanging over their head on finding a job on their return.

4eyedbuzzard
01-26-2016, 19:38
Since this was started last year, I wonder if he ever went on his hike?OOPS, missed that it was a resurrected thread.

Puddlefish
01-26-2016, 19:58
Tell your boss to contact me. For a small fee, I'll logo up like a NASCAR driver. No, not really.

However, everyone I've told about hiking the trail has been universally supportive, and quite a few have seemed a bit envious. Makes me wonder if the people at your company are a bit envious and trying to live vicariously through your hike.

Puddlefish
01-26-2016, 19:58
... and I missed that it was a zombie thread too. :(

Harrison Bergeron
01-27-2016, 11:00
Wow, why can't I get a gig like that?

Last year, my request to take a month off for a section hike went all the way to HR before they finally concluded that they couldn't keep me from going since I had the vacation days available and they'd already let a bunch of H1B's go back to India and China for a month. But suddenly it was a big problem when a 22-year employee asked for the same deal.

So they let me go, but followed it up with a brand new ruling from on high -- from now on, nobody can take more than two weeks at a time.

Buddy, you aren't going find a better outfit to come back to. Personally, I would have canned you on the spot when they offered you a job to come back to and you told them you weren't sure you even wanted it.

egilbe
01-27-2016, 11:05
Wow, why can't I get a gig like that?

Last year, my request to take a month off for a section hike went all the way to HR before they finally concluded that they couldn't keep me from going since I had the vacation days available and they'd already let a bunch of H1B's go back to India and China for a month. But suddenly it was a big problem when a 22-year employee asked for the same deal.

So they let me go, but followed it up with a brand new ruling from on high -- from now on, nobody can take more than two weeks at a time.

Buddy, you aren't going find a better outfit to come back to. Personally, I would have canned you on the spot when they offered you a job to come back to and you told them you weren't sure you even wanted it.

And on the next episode of horrible bosses....

Gambit McCrae
01-27-2016, 11:08

I agree with this,

From the OP I would believe that you do not enjoy your job. Otherwise it would sound like the perfect situation to be able to come back to a job after a 6 month vacation.

AO2134
01-27-2016, 12:40
For the love of god, don't burn a bridge unless you absolutely have too. How could it cheapen the experience? To give an interview or three. I just don't see it.

aruthenb
01-28-2016, 08:00
This sounds like a dream, you get to go out and experience an AT Thru Hike with support from back home. During your roughest days on the trail, support messages from your co-workers will get you through.

Most importantly it gets others interested and informed about experiencing and preserving the AT.

Rain Man
01-28-2016, 14:32
I realize this is a year-old thread, resurrected, but really,-- "cheapen the experience"?

LOTS of hikers write whole books about their hikes. Does that cheapen their experience?

Not to me, it doesn't. But I'll stand by the adage of HYOH. Hope the OP did just that.

Greenmountainguy
01-28-2016, 20:43
A friend tried giving notice and was told to get out immediately. I know of someone who gave notice and security took him to the door and compelled him to abandon his (expensive) property in his office.
I had a similar experience to the first guy above..."we don't want to stand in your way, leave now."
You are far luckier in the job market than I.

Boots and Backpacks
02-03-2016, 13:43
My employer did the same thing. I gave them a 2 month notice, and the CEO talked to me about it. He asked that I stay in touch when I get close to finishing. I let him know when I hit the Whites, and 3 weeks later I had my old job back. Worked out perfectly.

Skyline
02-03-2016, 14:24
This isn't the first I've heard of an employer being supportive of a long-distance hiking sabbatical. But employers like yours are increasingly rare today, I think. You may want to think long about meeting them halfway. It doesn't mean you have to return to your old job. It's just the decent thing to do.

EDIT: Jack89, just realized this thread started almost a year ago, pre-Class of 2015. If you would care to update us I'm sure we'd like to hear how the hike went, and how you handled the job thing.

Jack89
02-04-2016, 19:10
I was given a heads up that people were posting on this thread again, so I figured I'd provide an update. I started my NOBO thru-hike on April 3rd and finished on September 26th. A truly wonderful adventure. I tried to make an entry every day I hiked on Trail Journals, here's the link if you're interested - http://www.trailjournals.com/Brian2015/.

When I returned I told myself I'd give myself a week or so to chill before deciding what to do with work. Before I left I told my boss that I didn't want to do the PR thing on my hike and wanted to keep it personal. He said he understood and said to look him up when I got back. I was only home for a few day after my hike when I got a call from him asking if I was going to come back to work. They hired an interim project manger while I was gone, and he was doing well, but I could have my job back if I wanted it. It was a difficult choice, because they're a pretty good company to work for, but I declined.

I talked to the client I worked with and he said the interim guy was working out fine and they would likely keep him on, so there was absolutely issues in that regard. He even bought me lunch and took me around to say goodbye to everyone. I didn't know it during my hike, but a lot of people followed me on Trail Journals and I had some fans at my old workplace. Both my former boss and client were more supportive that I could have hoped for. Great guys. I was called again a month or two later and offered a couple of different positions, but I've decided to try out the retired life for a while. I have a modest army pension that covers the bills, so there's no pressure to go back to work right away.

4eyedbuzzard
02-04-2016, 19:25
Thanks for the follow up report Jack. Congrats on your successful thru-hike! Good luck on your retirement and whatever you decide to do next.

egilbe
02-04-2016, 19:29
Awesome! Glad you came back and updated us, and pooh pooh to all the naysayers who advised against it. It sounds like you worked for a great company.