PDA

View Full Version : any bird watchers on the trail?

stupid adage
02-18-2015, 17:19
Is hiking the trail a good idea to mark some birds off the life list? I'd love to be able to get a smaller pair of binoculars and do some birding out there. Anyone done this? Have you seen any birds on the trail you haven't seen since or elsewhere?

rocketsocks
02-18-2015, 17:33
Just this morning I was watching a video where the poster showed a bird, I think it was a woodpecker, but I just can't be sure...but it was beautiful, especially the commentary, made me laugh so hard I almost spit coffee all over my computer. I can't seem to find it again though. But yeah, I like birds, got a small monocular I bring with me. I keep looking for Orioles.

rickb
02-18-2015, 17:51
"AT Only" Bird's for me:

Spruce Grouse (incredibly tame, no need for binoculars)
Boreal Chicadee (binoculars needed to Id)
Black Backed Woodpecker (binocular needed to Id)

AT "very much associated" for me:

White Throated Sparrow (binoculars needed to fully appreciate thier beauty)
Canada Jay (even tamer than the Spruce Grouse, no binoculars)
Veery (Binoculars not needed, besides you really only want to listen to her)

You will be walking north with the Warbler migration, so Binoculars will help you see what you see. Looking at warblers without binocular is like diving a reef without a mask. That said, very few people who think they will bird along the trail actually do. For most they are dead weight.

One thing you might consider is a flashlight with a powerful enough beam that you can light up an owl. Getting one on the Trail is not easy without a recording (an ethical conundrum ecen outside of nesting season) but seeing a Barred or Screach owl is a reasonable expectation for the I intimated.

Have fun, and don't let the light weight weenies spoil all the fun-- even if they might be right for most people.

burger
02-18-2015, 17:52
Yes, definitely bring bins if you want to see birds while you're hiking. You won't see anything on the AT that you can't find elsewhere, but there are some uncommon species that you can see like Bicknell's thrush from VT through ME, spruce grouse in NH and ME, and golden-winged warbler in the NC/TN area. I saw more cerulean warblers (a bird that is in big trouble) on the AT in Viriginia than I have anywhere else in the US.

I suspect that a diligent thru-hiker who knew all their calls and songs could get well over 100 species on the whole trail.

rickb
02-18-2015, 18:00
I suspect that a diligent thru-hiker who knew all their calls and songs could get well over 100 species on the whole trail.

This section hiking couple is up to 124 AT birds, and they still have a whole lot of trail to enjoy:

http://www.birdcouple.com click on thier AT Blog tab

I am impressed (and a little jealous).

stupid adage
02-18-2015, 18:03
Just this morning I was watching a video where the poster showed a bird, I think it was a woodpecker, but I just can't be sure...but it was beautiful, especially the commentary, made me laugh so hard I almost spit coffee all over my computer. I can't seem to find it again though. But yeah, I like birds, got a small monocular I bring with me. I keep looking for Orioles.

maybe he found the ivory billed woodpecker?! It lives! A small monocular sounds like a good idea too. I've only seen one Baltimore Oriole in my life, so I'd love to spot some more.

stupid adage
02-18-2015, 18:14
"AT Only" Bird's for me:

Spruce Grouse (incredibly tame, no need for binoculars)
Boreal Chicadee (binoculars needed to Id)
Black Backed Woodpecker (binocular needed to Id)

AT "very much associated" for me:

White Throated Sparrow (binoculars needed to fully appreciate thier beauty)
Canada Jay (even tamer than the Spruce Grouse, no binoculars)
Veery (Binoculars not needed, besides you really only want to listen to her)

You will be walking north with the Warbler migration, so Binoculars will help you see what you see. Looking at warblers without binocular is like diving a reef without a mask. That said, very few people who think they will bird along the trail actually do. For most they are dead weight.

One thing you might consider is a flashlight with a powerful enough beam that you can light up an owl. Getting one on the Trail is not easy without a recording (an ethical conundrum ecen outside of nesting season) but seeing a Barred or Screach owl is a reasonable expectation for the I intimated.

Have fun, and don't let the light weight weenies spoil all the fun-- even if they might be right for most people.

Ahh I'm jealous! I haven't seen any of those. And the Owls have eluded me since I've started looking for them :(

I've hiked and camped in Cohutta Wilderness and the Smokies and brought my binoculars, but most the birds hung out in the canopy and I had a hard time laying eyes on them.

I'm never that far up north so I'd love to be able to spot a Boreal Chickadee and Black-Backed Woodpecker if I'm up that way. Thanks

imscotty
02-18-2015, 18:39
Thank you for starting this very interesting thread.

When I was young I would always bring binoculars on my weekend hikes and enjoyed having them. Not just for birds, but also for scenic vistas and clear night skies. Now I leave them at home, but I do wish I have them sometimes. I transitioned to bringing my DSLR with a 28-200 lens. I often use the 200mm lens as a spotting scope, even if the bird is too far away to make a picture worth while. Now, I must confess, I usually leave the heavy camera at home and take my point and shoot. I do miss out on some birds though.

RickB gave a great list of species to keep an eye for. I do not have the skill, but it is definitely worth knowing the bird calls to enhance your hike and the species you might find. Not on the AT, but this past year I have seen Peregrine Falcons, Snowy Owls, Barred Owls and more. These sort of sightings just make my day.

rocketsocks
02-18-2015, 18:49
maybe he found the ivory billed woodpecker?! It lives! A small monocular sounds like a good idea too. I've only seen one Baltimore Oriole in my life, so I'd love to spot some more.
same, only seen an Oriole once...never saw an Owl.

saltysack
02-18-2015, 18:56
The barred and great horned owls should hang close to those mouse infested shelters!! Here are a few raptors I've picked up during last few weeks...I volunteer at a bird rehab center in north Fl...http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/18/644de4e93110ce1e94abe2289e76bfb0.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/18/298f5e05105dc9a7a2c9c34e0bf6577f.jpg
Red tailed hawk and barred owl...both have injured wings..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stupid adage
02-18-2015, 19:11
Thank you for starting this very interesting thread.

When I was young I would always bring binoculars on my weekend hikes and enjoyed having them. Not just for birds, but also for scenic vistas and clear night skies. Now I leave them at home, but I do wish I have them sometimes. I transitioned to bringing my DSLR with a 28-200 lens. I often use the 200mm lens as a spotting scope, even if the bird is too far away to make a picture worth while. Now, I must confess, I usually leave the heavy camera at home and take my point and shoot. I do miss out on some birds though.

RickB gave a great list of species to keep an eye for. I do not have the skill, but it is definitely worth knowing the bird calls to enhance your hike and the species you might find. Not on the AT, but this past year I have seen Peregrine Falcons, Snowy Owls, Barred Owls and more. These sort of sightings just make my day.

Hey. I bring my big clunky binoculars (olympus 10x50) in my backpack everywhere I go, and the few times I've left it at home I always regret it! No DSLR yet, but I hope to get one soon. Lots of beatiful pics I've missed out on that I'd love to share. At the state park this weekend I saw a Great Egret stalking through the reeds, a lone Horned Grebe, and a Belted Kingfisher hovering over a stream. I had great views of all of them and it made me really want a camera!

I agree about the bird calls. I'm good with bird calls that stand out (like Great Crested Flycatcher) and calls that I hear all the time (like the Eastern Towhee), but it definately takes skill to learn and memorize calls you rarely hear or haven't heard yet.

stupid adage
02-18-2015, 19:14
holy crap nice photos! That's awesome! Thanks for sharing! I love the look on the owl's face ("help me!")

johnnybgood
02-18-2015, 19:34
I keep looking for Orioles.

Just saw a report that showed them flocking to Sarasota, Florida in a few weeks. Take a peek ; www.springtrainingonline.com/teams/baltimore-orioles-3.htm (http://www.springtrainingonline.com/teams/baltimore-orioles-3.htm) :-)

Seriously speaking ... I often take the pocket version of the Petersons Field Guide on trips . Also have the audio disc of songbirds likely heard while hiking the AT.

~ Thrushes , Robins , Wrens and Owls are amongst my favorite to hear in the woods.

rocketsocks
02-18-2015, 20:17
Just saw a report that showed them flocking to Sarasota, Florida in a few weeks. Take a peek ; www.springtrainingonline.com/teams/baltimore-orioles-3.htm (http://www.springtrainingonline.com/teams/baltimore-orioles-3.htm) :-)

Seriously speaking ... I often take the pocket version of the Petersons Field Guide on trips . Also have the audio disc of songbirds likely heard while hiking the AT.

~ Thrushes , Robins , Wrens and Owls are amongst my favorite to hear in the woods.will do, thanks Johnny!

rocketsocks
02-18-2015, 20:19
will do, thanks Johnny!
Ha ha, got me, didn't see that one comin' not sure why, I'm a goof too, hehe...too funny!

sad though, don't think they'll make it this year either.

swjohnsey
02-18-2015, 20:59
Not as many birds as I expected. I saw Bald Eagle, loons, turkey and chicks (poults), grouse (heard 'em mostly) pilated woodpecker.

Feral Bill
02-18-2015, 21:31
Decent compact binoculars (8x22 or so) cost under a hundred bucks, and work fairly well. This site http://www.allaboutbirds.org/page.aspx?pid=1189 could be helpful.

JBandStacy2014
02-18-2015, 21:39

LOL... ;) .... That's hilarious...

rocketsocks
02-18-2015, 23:16
lol... ;) .... That's hilarious...;).................:d

bigcranky
02-19-2015, 12:29
My lovely wife often carries a small pair of good bins (Zeiss 8x20 I think) and she has several guidebooks on her phone. We have had some great bird sightings on the AT over the years, from the family of newborn grouse running over our feet in the middle of the trail, to the barred owl landing right in the middle of our camp one evening as he hunted junebugs (he would look up at the dusk sky and see them flying over, and then leap up and grab one and come down for his snack. Awesome. I could have reached out and touched him.) You will get the opportunity in some places for warblers during migration, and of course there are lots of resident warblers along the AT that are usually more northern. Plenty of birds if you're looking.

slbirdnerd
02-19-2015, 13:42
I'm an avid birder but so far opt not to take binocs on the trail. I feel like I'm there for a different purpose and don't want to make it all about the birding. Plus, I can spend a LOT of time watching if I find a good spot, and that won't get me where I'm going :). Having said that, I have had some pretty cool stuff pop up right in front of me for easy viewing--my kind of trail magic... ruffed grouse, scarlet tanager, chestnut sided warbler, black throated blue warbler, the usual woodland stuff and woodpeckers, just to name a few.

full conditions
02-19-2015, 14:44
This is a great thread. I'm not a huge fan of "mini" bins for most situations and for most people - I even disagree that they're better than nothing. I've taken countless beginner birders out for their first official birding trip and most folks find using ordinary (say, 8X40's) binoculars very frustrating. The usual scenario is someone sees a bird flitting about in the overhead foliage with their naked eyes then bring up their binoculars and immediately loose the bird. Rinse and repeat several dozen times over the course of a morning and you end up with a bunch of folks who decide that birding is not for them. Their are many strategies that can help alleviate or even erase this frustration but minis tend to exacerbate the problem tremendously by narrowing the field of view and reducing the amount of light gathered. In the hands of a seasoned veteran, high quality minis from a maker like Zeiss are fairly useful but otherwise.... .
If I'm day hiking I typically take my 8X40's and wear them on an elasticized harness that makes them comfortable to wear and I think of the extra weight as just part of my regular rig - along with a hand lens and maybe a wildflower guide. When I'm out for a longer section hike I leave my bins home and accept that I'm going to miss out on some good looks.

One last point I'd like to make is that in the woods, most of the birding I do is by ear - I've been at since I was 12 so my skills are fairly advanced but just about anyone can lean the most common woodland bird songs in their area (say the top 20 or so) and doing so will greatly enhance the enjoyment of any hike in the woods. There are several good bird song cd's available and the Sibley app has most bird species songs and calls. My personal favorite is a series that the Peterson folks makes called "Birding by Ear" - this series uses mnemonic devices that will help you remember one song from another.

Connie
02-19-2015, 15:47
I have iBird Pro and other bird apps for my iPod Touch.

I have used the sound recordings of each bird, or birds, that look much like that bird, to help identify the bird.

I like to look at the habitat and migration information in the app. The sounds help.

I like a BAK-4 monopod better than binoculars.

melroed
02-19-2015, 18:15

~ Thrushes , Robins , Wrens and Owls are amongst my favorite to hear in the woods.

Hi there,
Interesting topic for me - a binocular carrying hiker birder from the NW who is anxiously watching the weather for my AT start. I am wondering which audio disc you are referring to. Is there one specifically geared toward AT?
Thanks!

burger
02-19-2015, 19:17
This is a great thread. I'm not a huge fan of "mini" bins for most situations and for most people - I even disagree that they're better than nothing. I've taken countless beginner birders out for their first official birding trip and most folks find using ordinary (say, 8X40's) binoculars very frustrating. The usual scenario is someone sees a bird flitting about in the overhead foliage with their naked eyes then bring up their binoculars and immediately loose the bird. Rinse and repeat several dozen times over the course of a morning and you end up with a bunch of folks who decide that birding is not for them. Their are many strategies that can help alleviate or even erase this frustration but minis tend to exacerbate the problem tremendously by narrowing the field of view and reducing the amount of light gathered. In the hands of a seasoned veteran, high quality minis from a maker like Zeiss are fairly useful but otherwise.... .

This is not a very useful comment. I think it's silly to suggest an AT hiker take full-size binoculars on the trail. The weight penalty from heavier bins is just not worth the benefit. For one thing, a thru or section hiker will probably only be birding for a few minutes a day, so most of the time those heavy bins will be a 2-pound brick in your pack. Also, any birder can learn to spot birds with mini-binoculars. I carried mini bins on my PCT and CDT thru hikes and saw close to 400 species combined on those two hikes. With mini bins, it jut takes a little bit of care to hold the bins at the right angle when you lift them to your eyes. That is not a skill that is only possible for "veterans."

If someone is really motivated, birding by ear is a great way to minimize the time you have to spend looking for birds. But it takes some investment of time to listen to the recordings before your hike.

full conditions
02-19-2015, 19:50
This is not a very useful comment. I think it's silly to suggest an AT hiker take full-size binoculars on the trail. The weight penalty from heavier bins is just not worth the benefit. For one thing, a thru or section hiker will probably only be birding for a few minutes a day, so most of the time those heavy bins will be a 2-pound brick in your pack. Also, any birder can learn to spot birds with mini-binoculars. I carried mini bins on my PCT and CDT thru hikes and saw close to 400 species combined on those two hikes. With mini bins, it jut takes a little bit of care to hold the bins at the right angle when you lift them to your eyes. That is not a skill that is only possible for "veterans."

If someone is really motivated, birding by ear is a great way to minimize the time you have to spend looking for birds. But it takes some investment of time to listen to the recordings before your hike.

We'll burger, thanks for completely misrepresenting my post. Nowhere did I suggest that thru hikers or section hikers carry full size bins. In fact, I said precisely the opposite. Reread the post. For most people who are interested in identifying birds, learning to recognize common species without optics is preferable to the frustration they are likely to encounter using minis. This is an informed opinion -'I've taken literally hundreds of people birding and taught them to use binoculars - you may disagree but I think that this is a hard-won skill. Now compound the difficulty of finding moving birds in dense vegetation with a field of view that is roughly half of full size binoculars and you have a situation where the likelihood of frustration is pretty high. Yes, it can be done, just not by the average joe who wants to supplement their hikes with some birding.

Now, before you erect yet another straw man, my suggestion regarding learning some of the more common bird songs and calls people are likely to encounter on their own hike was intended not, as you suggested, as a way of locating birds for visual conformation, but simply to enhance the quality of any walk on the AT. And, one doesn't have to be particularly motivated to learn common bird songs - it can be done be listening to a CD on the way to work a few times.

rickb
02-19-2015, 19:57

I am not very good with songs. That is probably why I "need" to see them to really appreciate them fully.

That said, there are a few songs that I think would be worth knowing before a thru hike. This way when you hear them and find the bird singing the song it will be like finding a unicorn.

I would suggest the bird songs worth learning in advance must include:

White Troated Sparrow Sparrow
Veery
Pileated Woodpecker
Barred Owl
Screech Owl
Loon
Warbler (many different songs and kinds, but just knowing its a warbler put you among an elite few!)

What did I miss?

rickb
02-19-2015, 20:11
Speaking of the White Throated Sparrow..

To my way of thinking that bird alone would make carrying a pair of small binoculars well worth it.

Anyone who has spent much time in the Whites knows the beauty of its song. The first time I hear them each year it is like being greated by an old friend. I am sure I am not alone in those sentiments.

But how many people have seen just how magnificent they look with their white and yellow face? You might get a hint without binoculars, but just barely. A small pair that can fit in the pocket of my hip belt is just the ticket for me.

Most at people could not be troubled with the extra 8 or 10 ounces, but then again most people have no idea just how pretty (and uplifting) a great view of a sparrow can be.

To each their own.

full conditions
02-19-2015, 20:30
I am not very good with songs. That is probably why I "need" to see them to really appreciate them fully.

That said, there are a few songs that I think would be worth knowing before a thru hike. This way when you hear them and find the bird singing the song it will be like finding a unicorn.

I would suggest the bird songs worth learning in advance must include:

White Troated Sparrow Sparrow
Veery
Pileated Woodpecker
Barred Owl
Screech Owl
Loon
Warbler (many different songs and kinds, but just knowing its a warbler put you among an elite few!)

What did I miss?
Good list. Here's what I'd add:
black-capped chickadee - you'll here them in conifers from the smokies to Katahdin.
wood thrush - beautiful flute-like song you'll here many mornings from early May till early July.
eastern wood-pewee - a forceful 'pee-wee!'
common crow vs raven

And, if anyone was looking for extra credit -
Blue-headed vireo
and two warblers - black-throated blue warbler (beer beer beee) and black throated green warbler (zee zee zoo zee)

Speakeasy TN
02-20-2015, 11:35
Add the Scarlet Tanager to the song list! I heard it for days before I climbed the tower above Hot Springs and looked down on them in the treetops and put 2 and 2 together.

Speakeasy TN
02-20-2015, 11:40
Also like most I can't justify the risk, weight or time penalty of taking really good glass with me but they come with the wife on conjugal visits!

Connie
02-20-2015, 12:24
Try a BAK-4 Prism Glass monocular.

Even my little Brunton 10-30 x 21mm Echo Zoom Monocular has excellent brightness.

saltysack
02-22-2015, 21:27
In the south be looking out for the large raptor youngsters. Picked up this great horned owlet off the tpc golf course in fl today..http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/22/6b80a054a613bfa67eab5d1bf1cbdbed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk