PDA

View Full Version : Should I pull the trigger?

jrome
02-18-2015, 22:40
I have been on the hunt for a new backpack for sometime now. My criteria is internal frame, sub 3lb, around 60L capacity, Max budget of 200$. After reading for days on end, I really wanted to get a ULA catalyst but wasn't comfortable with investing that much. I know you get what you pay for but I have a tight budget when it comes to completing my gear list. I have the option of getting a Granite Gear Blaze AC 60 for 180$, does this seem like a good deal? Fits my criteria and has some good reviews.
Thanks

Rolex
02-18-2015, 22:58
I can't answer your question. I have not used any GG stuff but their name is good also.

FWIW though, I see the Catalyst go through used in your range quite often. Just one last week on GearExchange.
Mags has them (and also other websites) for 250 new with a Pack cover free. Can you stretch that last bit?

No affiliation but I have about a year on my catalyst and it's been good to me. And I'm prone to bushwhack often.

Connie
02-18-2015, 23:07
Have you considered Granite Gear Crown VC
http://www.granitegear.com/outdoor/backpacks/crown-v-c-60.html

July
02-18-2015, 23:19
Another option for you to consider: http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=103

jrome
02-18-2015, 23:24
I did look closely at the Crown, the only difference I saw from the blaze was a lower overall weight and different frame. I have read that the blaze carries higher weights better, I tend to be right at that 35lb range. Plus I can get the blaze for a better price.

jrome
02-18-2015, 23:26
Those MLD packs are awesome, but I cant do a frameless yet.

Jake2c
02-18-2015, 23:52
Can't do the UL gear, just not the right support for my older back. I do have GG stuff including a tent I have had for 3 years, no pack though. I use a black diamond and a kelty. All the GG stuff I have used so far has been solid. I have used the tent pretty hard and if I wiped it down you would have to look close to know it was used. If their packs are the same quality then maybe not a bad idea to keep it on your short list.

Gray Bear
02-19-2015, 05:30
I have been on the hunt for a new backpack for sometime now. My criteria is internal frame, sub 3lb, around 60L capacity, Max budget of 200$. After reading for days on end, I really wanted to get a ULA catalyst but wasn't comfortable with investing that much. I know you get what you pay for but I have a tight budget when it comes to completing my gear list. I have the option of getting a Granite Gear Blaze AC 60 for 180$, does this seem like a good deal? Fits my criteria and has some good reviews.
Thanks

I'm a fan of the Granite Gear stuff. I have the Leopard 58 and I've put some miles on it and its held up great and carries 30# comfortably. Its a little heavier than I'd like at 3# 1 oz.

brancher
02-19-2015, 10:29
EXTRA EXTRA!! MASSDROP HAS THE ULA CIRCUIT RIGHT NOW FOR $199.00. LIMIT FOR THIS DROP IS 20 UNITS.

Thought you'd like to know....

jrome
02-19-2015, 10:35
EXTRA EXTRA!! MASSDROP HAS THE ULA CIRCUIT RIGHT NOW FOR $199.00. LIMIT FOR THIS DROP IS 20 UNITS.

Thought you'd like to know....

^ Thanks Brancher!, I actually started a vote for the catalyst on massdrop a few weeks back.

brancher
02-19-2015, 10:43
^ Thanks Brancher!, I actually started a vote for the catalyst on massdrop a few weeks back.

I have an Ohm 2.0, love it to death! Although I'd like to try an ArcBlast, I just don't know CF is a great material for backpacks for me. But I WOULD love to see a Zpacks Duplex on Massdrop (hint, hint...there's a vote going right now).

Cheers.

Walkintom
02-19-2015, 11:44
Another pack to check out is the Klymit Motion 60. I've been very pleased with mine. About 2.7 lbs and super comfy. I keep the load under 35 pounds and have never had a single issue from the pack including a 12 day Isle Royale circuit.