PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good down jacket?

trbjr
02-19-2015, 01:31
Found this online..http://www.landsend.com/products/mens-lightweight-down-jacket/id_272708
Has anyone used them? It look like a good deal.

trbjr
02-19-2015, 01:33
It also weighs 12 oz.

Feral Bill
02-19-2015, 01:35
I've never seen the point of thin down jackets, but I have seen this in the store and it seems decent for it's kind. Remember, though, a slightly heavier jacket can be vastly warmer, due to having more down for the amount of fabric.

canoe
02-19-2015, 01:37
It s ok. I bought some at JCP a couple a years ago for $10. They are very warm

Lyle
02-19-2015, 08:26
Never used it, but it appears to be "decent". 600 fill down isn't the highest quality, but was common a couple decades ago. Lands End is an ok brand, so I assume sewing quality will be adequate or above. Probably a good, usable, inexpensive piece of gear.

That said, I would be more interested in the PrimaLoft jacket that also appears on the linked page. I like down for my sleeping bags, but prefer synthetic for jackets, two reasons:

- They are much better if you ever find yourself in the situation that you must or want to wear your "puffy" while actually hiking. Down is less suited to wear while active as it is very susceptible to the moisture from high activity levels. Rare, but on occasion it's conceivable you may want to wear it while hiking.

- Never happened in 30+ years of back country travel, but you could have some type of catastrophic event that causes your down sleeping bag to get too wet to be effective. Having at least some insulation available that retains some insulating properties after just wringing/squeezing out the water could be lifesaving. Wool or fleece would also fit this bill, but they are much heavier and bulkier to carry.

Primaloft is my synthetic insulation of choice. Compressible, light, and "drapes" well.

Lyle
02-19-2015, 08:40
Just an additional thought on what I said above: The hooded version would add a LOT of comfort. My hooded, PrimaLoft jacket is one of my favorite pieces of gear.

Tipi Walter
02-19-2015, 08:52
I agree with Feral Bill on this one. And I would be wary of any company selling a down jacket and not listing the amount of down in ounces in the product. Not fill power which is 600, but the actual weight of the down used in the jacket. Typically a good warm winter jacket uses around 10 to 15 ounces of high 850 fill power---and this jacket weighs 12 ozs total so the down weight must be miniscule. You're therefore really carrying mostly a fabric shell with minimum down.

And I never did find the overall weight of the jacket (12 ozs) on the Land's End webpage.

Sirsnappy09
02-19-2015, 17:38
Depends on what you need it for. Winter camping or a cool night jacket to wear in camp. I have owned several lightweight Mont bell jackets that are very warm and weigh very little. On the other hand I also own a marmot hooded 800 fill down jacket that is a beast.

Tipi Walter
02-19-2015, 17:44
I prefer the beast.

canoe
02-19-2015, 19:01
Yes If I am relying on this jacket for my main or only warmth I am with you guys.. give me the beast. You get what you pay for...but sometimes you can really get a good deal on no name equipment. I would certainly check it out before I had to rely on it.

Tarheel Hanger
02-19-2015, 19:11
I have to agree with the primaloft users. My down coat gets to warm on hikes and i have to vent the coat after sweating to much. I got a great deal on a North Face Thermoball Jacket at a REI garage sale and its been my got to coat since. For such a thin coat it keeps me quite warm. With a thin base layer and a cotton shirt underneath I've hiked in 20 something degree weather and was warm & toasty. I was out today in 6 degree windchill with just a t-shirt under neath and was fine.