PDA

View Full Version : Are Microspikes a Convenience or Requiement in March?

SCsurf98
02-19-2015, 11:58
I plan on stepping off at Springer March 8. I have not yet purchased any Microspikes/Yaktrax or similar products. How much of the time can I expect to be carrying a set a spikes (vs. wearing them) from GA to VA?

Thanks for any advice!

Tipi Walter
02-19-2015, 12:00
It's a good question. I carried my Kahtoolas thru January and February and only used them once. Will I need them in March? Heck maybe, maybe not. Will I carry them? Probably. Remember, we got the Blizzard of '93 in mid March.

Frye
02-19-2015, 12:35
I plan on stepping off at Springer March 8. I have not yet purchased any Microspikes/Yaktrax or similar products. How much of the time can I expect to be carrying a set a spikes (vs. wearing them) from GA to VA?

Thanks for any advice!

Not a requirement, but possibly a convenience. Chances are you won't really have a use for them, but Tipi is correct, March has been known to surprise us.
Personally I wouldn't bring em, but some people do.

bemental
02-19-2015, 12:52

Thanks for any advice!

I'll be right behind you leaving from the approach on the 9th. My hiking partner is taking a set, but I'm going without.

We'll see who's the smart one.

Tipi Walter
02-19-2015, 13:05
Alot of it has to do with overall pack weight. My weights generally average around 80 lbs for a 3 week winter trip and so the slightest slip is magnified a hundred fold as the pack always wants to fling me hard to the ground, ergo spikes comes in very handy. With a light pack weight they are not as important.

saltysack
02-19-2015, 13:24
Could throw a handful of sheet metal screws in ur pack....just incase could save ur arse...I wish I had traction last winter going over roan mtn...I carry a tiny Leatherman w screw driver to screw in if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Solemates
02-19-2015, 13:28
I've hiked throughout my entire life in winter in the South through some crazy weather and never once have I used these things nor wish I had them.

Tipi Walter
02-19-2015, 13:56
I've hiked throughout my entire life in winter in the South through some crazy weather and never once have I used these things nor wish I had them.

It's amazing how both our experiences can be so different. I went 30 years without spikes and fell on ice and in snow on a near daily basis but I was younger and could give a crap. There's nothing like hitting a steep rocky section of trail (think Jacob's Ladder on the AT) covered in ice and snow and terminally frowning trying to figure out how to get myself and my refrigerator pack down this hell chute. Bung Abseil is the only way, i.e. on my puckered butt sliding down; that is until I got my Kahtoolas.

Microspikes change everything and now I don't fall down 98% of the time. They have 20 grip spikes and my worried frown is gone and I spend much less energy trying to stay upright.

Walkintom
02-19-2015, 14:08
In 2013 we had to get off trail in the Smokies in early April because of the ice. The outfitter in Gatlinbug had nothing of the sort left in stock - the cold weather and ice were unseasonally bad. We spent 3 days in town while waiting for ordered microspikes to arrive.

Oh, and I'd stay from Yaktrax. They tend to fall apart quickly in trail conditions whereas my Kahtoola microspikes are in great shape despite being used heavily for the last couple of winters and walking from ice to rock and back multiple times for as long as a half mile on rock without removing them.

Tipi Walter
02-19-2015, 14:16
Stumpknocker broke his arm coming down the AT on an icy section and I doubt he was wearing spikes.

Check it out---

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=125985

saltysack
02-19-2015, 14:36
Stumpknocker broke his arm coming down the AT on an icy section and I doubt he was wearing spikes.

Check it out---

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=125985

Haven seen anything from stump? Is he still trekking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another Kevin
02-19-2015, 14:48
I can never get over the amount to which the climate varies on the trail. In March here Up North, even if you're not still up to your you-know-whats in snow, the compacted snow "monorail" on the trail will still be there. In March, I'd say not to bring Microspikes to some of the peaks here because they won't be enough. I have Black Diamond Contact crampons for those conditions. (My daughter prefers Grivel G12's.)

Ice and I don't get along, so I'd go with TW's recommendation and bring spikes. He's forgotten more about how to handle winter in southern Appalachia than I'll ever learn.

TNhiker
02-19-2015, 15:47
I hike in the same general area as tipi (although he prefers conditions more drastic than I do) and haven't used spikes just yet...

however there have been a few times I wished I had them....

but i do have a question about them----do the spikes easily dull?

as in, not this past weekend but the one before---the mountains had patches of snow and ice going up hill and then some clear patches.....and it would alternate like this for a few miles...

and i figured just like water crowsings, it would be time consuming to keep putting them on and off every couple of hundred feet or so...

so if I kept them on---and I realize it would depend upon how rocky the trail is----but was wondering if I kept them on, how quick would they dull?

Tipi Walter
02-19-2015, 16:01
I thought about this question and then realized the spikes are small and short and once worn down would probably require an entire replacement as there's just not that much to sharpen. Then again, the red rubber would probably break before the spikes get worn. At the rate I use mine (and yes I've used them in mud and leaves with a quarter inch of wet slushy snow), I doubt I'll ever wear them out unless I really slip somehow and break the rubber band.

TNhiker
02-19-2015, 16:15
yeah...

thats what i wanted to know...

not necessarily interested in sharpening, but just wonderin how much of a "life" they would have doing it this way...

or, in better terms----how quick would i have to replace them.....

Tipi Walter
02-19-2015, 16:27
You only have another month to worry about it and then pack them up until next year.

TNhiker
02-19-2015, 17:03
yeah.....and i wont be out much in the next month or so as ive got other things to deal with...

but, need to know for later in the year...

i just dont wanna have to buy a new set every few hikes or so.......

The Solemates
02-19-2015, 17:16
...trying to figure out how to get myself and my refrigerator pack down this hell chute.

that likely is part of the difference. even at my heaviest and during coldest weather I never carry more than 30 lb tops and usually less than this.

Connie
02-19-2015, 17:39
If the average distance for the AT to a road is 5 miles, a sprained ankle is a big deal.

TNhiker
02-19-2015, 17:47
If the average distance for the AT to a road is 5 miles, a sprained ankle is a big deal.

although, i didnt have a sprained ankle, i can attest to having a hard time getting out after an injury...

a few years ago, i was having GI problems and woke up outta my tent and had an easy 3 miles to do, but with the problems i was having---it took me every bit of 9 hours to get out....

one of the worst hikes i have had......

RangerZ
02-19-2015, 18:42
In 2013 we had to get off trail in the Smokies in early April because of the ice. The outfitter in Gatlinbug had nothing of the sort left in stock - the cold weather and ice were unseasonally bad. We spent 3 days in town while waiting for ordered microspikes to arrive.

Oh, and I'd stay from Yaktrax. They tend to fall apart quickly in trail conditions whereas my Kahtoola microspikes are in great shape despite being used heavily for the last couple of winters and walking from ice to rock and back multiple times for as long as a half mile on rock without removing them.

I’m not arguing strongly for Yaktrax, I’ve found them adequate, but I haven’t the conditions as others. I got a first pair as a gift and the rubber and coils broke the first year. Yaktrax did replace them for free. I took para cord (suspension line to some of us) and threaded it in the coils to reinforce the rubber. They’ve lasted two years now but haven’t really abused them.

It’s 9* with light snow here, my wife asked me if I was going to walk after work and my reply was “My name isn’t Tipi Walter.” But I did just finish the port so I may have to make a State Store run.

Tipi Walter
02-19-2015, 18:44
Hiking while sick is no joke. I've had the giardia cramps and squirts back in '84. You know, when you have to release the hipbelt in an emergency explosive squat. Had the all-night puking fits in the Mt Rogers backcountry (the 12 mile hike out was very tough as I was so dehydrated). Maybe my worse night ever. Hiked numerous times with a fever, a false sweat and near-constant chilblains (sucks). And the usual bouts with toothaches needing root canals and broken teeth and snapped off crowns and all the rest. And then getting food poisoning numerous times or eating a bad pot of chili or beans and cramping up all night and blowing out some foulish turtleheads the next day.

Or wanting to pee but crapping instead?? A very common problem in the field with GI distress.

CarlZ993
02-19-2015, 20:18

This was when I went thru. Absolutely terrifying coming down from Clingmans Dome (4/4/13). I wished I'd brought my MicroSpikes. Fell a lot. Did a lot of butt-sliding. Saw several people get hurt. One injury ended a thru-hike. I'd carry them until at least Hot Springs. Maybe further.

Migrating Bird
02-19-2015, 20:40
Micro spikes are great and durable, just do not get them too close to a heat source, the steel will melt right through the webbing like a hot knife through butter. My son-in-law taught me that and now has a brand new spare.

Slo-go'en
02-19-2015, 20:52
Unless it warms up a lot in the next 2 weeks and it stays that way, you might want to have traction. And now that March 1st is just over a week away, I wonder how many who plan to start that day (and there are a lot) and now thinking it might be a good idea to postpone a few weeks or a month...

Traveler
02-20-2015, 08:54
I hike in the same general area as tipi (although he prefers conditions more drastic than I do) and haven't used spikes just yet...

however there have been a few times I wished I had them....

but i do have a question about them----do the spikes easily dull?

as in, not this past weekend but the one before---the mountains had patches of snow and ice going up hill and then some clear patches.....and it would alternate like this for a few miles...

and i figured just like water crowsings, it would be time consuming to keep putting them on and off every couple of hundred feet or so...

so if I kept them on---and I realize it would depend upon how rocky the trail is----but was wondering if I kept them on, how quick would they dull?

Good questions. There are a few different types of traction devices you can get depending where you are going and the conditions. Ignore the TrakYak type, those are more for urban use and come apart fairly quickly even in tame conditions.

For what its worth, the Kahtoola Microspikes are probably the best for the conditions you describe where there are iced over portions of the trail and clear areas. The spikes will wear a bit when used in dirt/gravel treadway and on bare rock but the level of wear is not that great if you are using them sporadically during a season. I am in New England and wear these generally from the first snow or appearance of casual ice on rock climbs and trails and usually wear them throughout the winter months. I keep them on when moving over trail that has no snow/ice on it if there are significant patches of snow/ice intermittently, otherwise I will take them off and put them on if its not a constant process. I get a full season out of a new pair without sharpening the spikes, average mileage is about 250 or so, give or take. Used sporadically, you can probably get a few seasons of use. You can sharpen the spikes with a file or Dremel tool, and some patience.

hikernutcasey
02-20-2015, 10:28
I'll add my .02 cents. I bought a pair of microspikes for winter day hikes. My experience is they aren't that useful in freshly fallen snow but once that snow gets walked on and packed down it is another story. I hiked up and across Grandfather mountain earlier this winter and seriously doubt I could have made it without getting injured if I hadn't had my spikes. They perform great when the snow gets packed down and crusted over creating an icy path.

As far as taking them with you on a thru hike, you just have to weigh it out and see if you are willing to carry the weight for the chance you will need them. If it were me and I were starting that early I would take them and mail them home once through the Smokies.

Walkintom
02-20-2015, 11:28
This was when I went thru. Absolutely terrifying coming down from Clingmans Dome (4/4/13). I wished I'd brought my MicroSpikes. Fell a lot. Did a lot of butt-sliding. Saw several people get hurt. One injury ended a thru-hike. I'd carry them until at least Hot Springs. Maybe further.

We hit Clingman's on 4/5/13. My wife had fallen three times that day on non-steep trail due to the ice and I'd fallen twice. We'd each come up with bruises from one of our harder falls and when we passed Clingman's and saw the trail conditions to go downhill, we quickly agreed to head to the parking lot and hitch to Gatlinburg. It was just unsafe. Heard the next day that a hiker was found unconscious in the trail from a fall near Clingman's and thanked my good luck to be eating hot food in town waiting for our microspikes.

It's frustrating to lose trail time when you'd rather be hiking but I'll take hotel over hospital any day.

Connie
02-20-2015, 12:43
Has anyone tried these Vargo Titanium Pocket Cleats?

http://www.vargooutdoors.com/titanium-pocket-cleats.html#.VOdkpf_97vU

These might serve for most conditions on the AT. What do you think?

I can't think of an excuse for not carrying them, if they work out.

MrGonzalo
02-20-2015, 12:53
Unless it warms up a lot in the next 2 weeks and it stays that way, you might want to have traction. And now that March 1st is just over a week away, I wonder how many who plan to start that day (and there are a lot) and now thinking it might be a good idea to postpone a few weeks or a month...

Though I hope everyone has a wonderful hiking season, I am also hoping you are right. I am kicking off on the 2nd/3rd, and a smaller bubble would be welcome. I am taking my microspikes without a doubt. A couple of days back, weather forecast along the entire trail showed chances of sleet or snow.

MrGonzalo
02-20-2015, 13:00

That's a great find...
At less than two ounces, I am considering taking them (along with my microspikes) to test them out.
The straps worry me a bit... I imagine you either have to cinch them very tight (ouch with trail runners) or possibly slide right off on a serious incline. Maybe a good DIY project would be to modify the strap to go around the heel.

CarlZ993
02-20-2015, 13:07
We hit Clingman's on 4/5/13. My wife had fallen three times that day on non-steep trail due to the ice and I'd fallen twice. We'd each come up with bruises from one of our harder falls and when we passed Clingman's and saw the trail conditions to go downhill, we quickly agreed to head to the parking lot and hitch to Gatlinburg. It was just unsafe. Heard the next day that a hiker was found unconscious in the trail from a fall near Clingman's and thanked my good luck to be eating hot food in town waiting for our microspikes.

It's frustrating to lose trail time when you'd rather be hiking but I'll take hotel over hospital any day.
I hear you. That was a nasty experience. I hadn't planned going into Gatlinburg. But I sure was glad I was able to snag the last room @ the Gran Prix Motel.

Connie
02-20-2015, 13:25
That's a great find...
At less than two ounces, I am considering taking them (along with my microspikes) to test them out.
The straps worry me a bit... I imagine you either have to cinch them very tight (ouch with trail runners) or possibly slide right off on a serious incline. Maybe a good DIY project would be to modify the strap to go around the heel.

Maybe running the strap nearest the ankle under boot/shoe laces, if a problem?

I really like the way they fold up to carry in my backpack.

I would like to hear feedback, if you use the Vargos.

CarlZ993
02-20-2015, 13:26

These look promising. I would have preferred a different method of attaching & adjusting the straps. I wonder the long-term effectiveness of the side-release buckles. But 2 oz? The gram-weenie in me gets excited.

Don H
02-20-2015, 13:37
It might not be a bad idea to carry a set of Microspikes while in the Smokys. The Smokys is the only place I ran into ice.
I like the looks of the Vargo spikes and at 2 oz. you could carry them all the way to Parisburg.

Traveler
02-20-2015, 14:05

These look light enough, but more designed for occasional use on unexpected ice or packed snow surfaces. They don't appear to have any heel bite though, going downhill will be tricky if you forget the grip is in the front of the boot. But, as insurance, if you don't want to take Microspikes, these would be preferable to nothing. Interesting find.

Malto
02-20-2015, 14:22
Microspikes are only needed when their needed. They are dead weight the rest of the time. Will you want them or need them? Who knows. I have had days in the Smokies and N. ga during March where the lack of microspikes would have been a major change in plans. I have also had trips where I wished I had them and didn't. it slowed me down but wasn't a show stopper. So should you take them? Flip a coin and then deal with it. Part of a thru hike is dealing with the unexpected.

Connie
02-20-2015, 18:15
I don't get on my heels going downhill.

Yvon Choinard showed me how to "duck walk" flat-footed downhill. It is safer, putting more contact with the surface. It was on slab rock.

I am not making that up! Honest.

Feral Bill
02-20-2015, 21:26
Hiking while sick is no joke. I've had the giardia cramps and squirts back in '84. You know, when you have to release the hipbelt in an emergency explosive squat. Had the all-night puking fits in the Mt Rogers backcountry (the 12 mile hike out was very tough as I was so dehydrated). Maybe my worse night ever. Hiked numerous times with a fever, a false sweat and near-constant chilblains (sucks). And the usual bouts with toothaches needing root canals and broken teeth and snapped off crowns and all the rest. And then getting food poisoning numerous times or eating a bad pot of chili or beans and cramping up all night and blowing out some foulish turtleheads the next day.

Or wanting to pee but crapping instead?? A very common problem in the field with GI distress. Umm? Thanks for sharing?:eek::)

Starchild
02-20-2015, 21:30
I didn't bring them and I fell many times and I cried very loudly and screamed in pain and frustration. Snow is not bad but ice is another story. It was worse then southern Maine.

With what I know now I would have just brought some screws to place into my boot souls/

SCsurf98
02-21-2015, 11:31
So should you take them? Flip a coin and then deal with it. Part of a thru hike is dealing with the unexpected.

Ha! That's actually what I did. Coin said no spikes.

Thank you everyone for the great feedback. This is all great info! I'm also very curious about those Vargo cleats.

comanche8f
02-21-2015, 14:17
I'll be right behind you leaving from the approach on the 9th. My hiking partner is taking a set, but I'm going without.

We'll see who's the smart one.

Leaving March 9th as well. I will have a set of Kahtoolas with me. I will also have a cheap little 4oz pair that has tips like a trekking pole. If I see you on Blood Mountain trying to go up it like you are on a treadmill, I will toss the 4 oz pair to you

Another Kevin
02-23-2015, 21:07
Microspikes do dull eventually. Also, at the same time the chains wear away.

I just recently replaced a 4-year-old pair that had the spikes worn too short to be safe - and at the same time finally had a chain link break. Oddly enough, the silicone still looked new!

(And remember that I walk a couple of miles on them just about every day in the winter - on pavement, yet, which eats traction gear. Before there were microspikes, I'd break a couple pair of Yaktrax per winter.)

Frye
02-26-2015, 10:44
Anyone else reconsidering cleats/microspikes/crampons due to the recent weather we've been having?

I still probably won't bring a set but would be lying if I said I hadn't be thinking about it. Good news is that it looks like the Springer mtn area is due for a warmup soon but we all know that can and probably will change. I'm seriously considering ordering a pair of Vargo cleats.

Tipi Walter
02-26-2015, 11:28
I'll be bringing my microspikes for a March trip as they're part of my standard winter load. Why not?

Here's a good Ed Viesturs quote as a guide when climbing Mt Ranier:

"What's another ten pounds when you're in great shape?"

Frye
02-26-2015, 11:44
Heavyweight witchery!

The reality is though 'What's another 4oz's when you're in moderately decent shape...' =D

I'm still on the fence. If I dish out the 60 bucks I'll probably bring them and send em home after SMNP. I'll sit on it until Monday and if I'm still considering it than I'll just buy em and say screw it.

comanche8f
02-26-2015, 12:58
Anyone else reconsidering cleats/microspikes/crampons due to the recent weather we've been having?

I still probably won't bring a set but would be lying if I said I hadn't be thinking about it. Good news is that it looks like the Springer mtn area is due for a warmup soon but we all know that can and probably will change. I'm seriously considering ordering a pair of Vargo cleats.

I am walking trails that are nowhere near as bad as the AT right now. I start my hike in a week. If I didn't have spike yesterday I couldn't have finished. The snow had melted in the day, then froze at night, basically making a frozen creek out of the trail

ziameister
02-26-2015, 13:37
Great topic to bring up. I had been on the fence as to whether to bring mine or not. A pair of Katoohla Microspikes, size medium, weigh 13.4 oz. Based on the continual snow storms battering the East and from the discussion in this thread - I'm planning on bring them. I hit the trail on 4 March.