PDA

View Full Version : Week long Practice hike

dbright
02-19-2015, 13:07
I am planning on doing a hike in May as practice for 2016 thru hike. I am planning on starting at HWY 19 E and hike into Damascus. This will be my first time on the AT and wondered if this was doable in a week.

SteelCut
02-19-2015, 13:11
It's about 75 miles IIRC which means you need to do over 10 miles everyday for 7 days. That's a fairly easy section and that schedule is definitely doable by lots of people but since you haven't given any additional info about yourself it's hard to say if it doable for you.

dbright
02-19-2015, 13:27
I have been backpacking for 5 years. The backpacking has been in the midwest and we do not have many mountains. I have done 16 miles in a day in wisconsin. I have 3 extra days build in incase I can not do the 10 miles every day.

SteelCut
02-19-2015, 13:28
You should be fine. As I said previously, that's a pretty easy section. Enjoy.

illabelle
02-19-2015, 14:20
Would suggest doing this section from north to south. The portion south of Hampton TN will have some challenging climbs. The stuff from Watauga Dam northward is pleasant and pretty easy.
Couple of things to pay attention to:
There have been in the past year or so some shelters closed near Watauga Dam because of bear activity.
The spring at Vandeventer Shelter is down a long steep trail. Highly advise planning to get water elsewhere.
Enjoy your hike!

Eagle1979
02-20-2015, 23:50
Hey if you want to wait until first week in June, I am section hiking from Springer to NC, about the same distance you are looking at.
Its around the same area a few extra driving hours but you will get an experienced companion in someone who knows what they are doing.
I am a 35 y/o history teacher and an Eagle Scout.

fiddlehead
02-21-2015, 00:19
Congrats to the OP.
Doing something substantial to give himself a better chance of success.
If you do this hike, and still want to thru-hike next year, chances are you'll make it (unlike about 80% of the others)
Good one!
Have fun!

thecyclops
02-21-2015, 23:34
Im going out for a week also around that time...around mid/late may.