PDA

View Full Version : beat canister requirement from Jarrod gap to kneels gap?

saralynne1982
02-19-2015, 15:05
I was on the act web site yesterday and they stated there is a bear canister requirement for these 5 miles. 1. Is this still the case? 2.are there options for rental at some point or do I need to being my own? 3. Any other spots in the trail with a bear canister requirements?

Frye
02-19-2015, 15:09
You're not required to have one if you don't stay in that section, and it's the only spot on the trail with such a requirement.

Skip the canister, just don't camp in the area. Huge waste of time using a beer canister for a section that shouldn't take more than a few hours.

saralynne1982
02-19-2015, 17:27
Thanks for the reply and suggestion!

inspectorgene
02-19-2015, 18:11
You're not required to have one if you don't stay in that section, and it's the only spot on the trail with such a requirement.

Skip the canister, just don't camp in the area. Huge waste of time using a beer canister for a section that shouldn't take more than a few hours.

I don't ever go hiking without my BEER CANISTER. :eek:

bamboo bob
02-19-2015, 19:13
So what's this beer canister? I came in late. But it seems like I might want to get one. What sizes do they have. Who makes them. Does it keep the beer cold and how long does it keep it cold?

Slo-go'en
02-19-2015, 21:25
Although Woods Hole is an nice shelter, it's in the forbidden zone. The Blood Mountain shelter is to be avoided - cold and dank.

There are camping sites at Jarrod gap. Stay there and head to Neels gap the next day. Springer to Neels is a 2 night, 3 day trip for most people.

map man
02-19-2015, 21:51
I don't ever go hiking without my BEER CANISTER. :eek:

You people have got to read more carefully. The title of this thread refers, not to a beer canister, but to a "beat" canister, though in my day that was known as a boom box.

But back to the point, as was mentioned you only need the canister if you camp overnight in that 5 mile section. Good luck on your hike Saralynne -- and always keep the beat.

Sarcasm the elf
02-19-2015, 22:37
You guys need to take this more seriously, beer are nothing to joke about.

http://www.troundup.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/beer-shirt-local-celebrity2-249x293.jpg

Sarcasm the elf
02-19-2015, 22:47
It should be noted that the bear canister requirement is only for part of the year. Here is what I found on the USFS site.

This is the from 2012, and I think the rules may have been slightly updated in the last year or two.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/conf/notices/?cid=STELPRDB5259468

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5351875.pdf

Sarcasm the elf
02-19-2015, 22:52
From the ATC website:

Bear canisters seasonally required for camping between Jarrard Gap and Neel Gap
A new U.S. Forest Service rule requires approved bear-resistant storage containers for overnight camping on a 5-mile stretch of the A.T. in the Chattahoochee National Forest between Jarrard Gap and Neel Gap, between March 1 and June 1 each year. This stretch is located between points 26.7 and 31.7 miles north of the southern terminus of the A.T. at Springer Moutain, Georgia, and includes Woods Hole Shelter, Slaughter Creek Campsite, and Blood Mountain Shelter. “Bear canisters” should be used to store food, food containers, garbage and toiletries. For more information, call the Chattahoochee - Oconee National Forest at (770) 297-3000.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/trail-updates

Frye
02-19-2015, 23:36

http://www.troundup.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/beer-shirt-local-celebrity2-249x293.jpg

Somehow I knew I didn't make a spelling error!

msumax1985
02-20-2015, 13:55
I was on the act web site yesterday and they stated there is a bear canister requirement for these 5 miles. 1. Is this still the case? 2.are there options for rental at some point or do I need to being my own? 3. Any other spots in the trail with a bear canister requirements?

I never saw anyone with a bear cannister in that area. You just camp short of the section, then hike through to Neel Gap the next day. I hiked from Woody Gap, but there is also a campsite just on the edge of the "forbidden zone", area near a creek. It has gotten larger over time because so many people stop there now due to the cannister rule. This way you hit Blood Mtn during the day when the views can be nice. Take a break up there and have some lunch, check out the Shelter.

FYI, if you stay at Neel Gap, I think the cabins down the road are a much nicer option than the "hostel" at Mtn Crossings. There is no heat in the hostel and it was 40* when I woke up the next morning. (this was in 2013) The people who stayed in the cabins, loved them.

MuddyWaters
02-20-2015, 14:40
Many camp at lance creek

permagrin
02-21-2015, 07:52
SaraLynne- its a tough crowd up in here. I alwayz remembr to ewes a speling progom when i tipe.

Malto
02-21-2015, 10:12
I never saw anyone with a bear cannister in that area. You just camp short of the section, then hike through to Neel Gap the next day. I hiked from Woody Gap, but there is also a campsite just on the edge of the "forbidden zone", area near a creek. It has gotten larger over time because so many people stop there now due to the cannister rule. This way you hit Blood Mtn during the day when the views can be nice. Take a break up there and have some lunch, check out the Shelter.

FYI, if you stay at Neel Gap, I think the cabins down the road are a much nicer option than the "hostel" at Mtn Crossings. There is no heat in the hostel and it was 40* when I woke up the next morning. (this was in 2013) The people who stayed in the cabins, loved them.

They didn't have them because the only ones that take them are those that didn't do their homework. Where you will find them is on the Approach trail. I have two canisters that these same hikers shed on the first major climb out of AFSP.

comanche8f
02-21-2015, 14:33
I'll be carrying one, just for giggles. I hear there is somewhere in NY that you are suppose to carry one as well but they rent them. Don't know if that is true or not, didn't do anymore research into it. Either way, I grabbed one, and plan on carrying it. I figure if nothing else it will prevent me from carry too much food. Keep me in check type of thing. Mine carries 5 days worth. There will be times I will carry a little more depending on the stretch, but I want to try to not go over my 5

Frye
02-21-2015, 15:05
I'll be carrying one, just for giggles. I hear there is somewhere in NY that you are suppose to carry one as well but they rent them. Don't know if that is true or not, didn't do anymore research into it. Either way, I grabbed one, and plan on carrying it. I figure if nothing else it will prevent me from carry too much food. Keep me in check type of thing. Mine carries 5 days worth. There will be times I will carry a little more depending on the stretch, but I want to try to not go over my 5

There isn't a requirement anywhere else that I know about and I hiked NY this past year.

There is a huge plus to carrying a Bear canister though. It doubles as an excellent seat! I still wouldn't do it, but if we meet on the trail I will without a doubt be envious of your awesome sitting arrangements.

comanche8f
02-21-2015, 15:29
There isn't a requirement anywhere else that I know about and I hiked NY this past year.

There is a huge plus to carrying a Bear canister though. It doubles as an excellent seat! I still wouldn't do it, but if we meet on the trail I will without a doubt be envious of your awesome sitting arrangements.

Yeah, who knows, it may be gone by the time I get to Neels gap, going to try it out though

Sarcasm the elf
02-21-2015, 15:59

There are no canister requirements on the A.T. In NY. I suspect that you are thinking of the canister requirement in the Adirondack High Peaks region in NY. That's a different part of the state.

FlyPaper
02-21-2015, 16:03
So what's this beer canister? I came in late. But it seems like I might want to get one. What sizes do they have. Who makes them. Does it keep the beer cold and how long does it keep it cold?

Great questions. I have seen many varieties of beer canisters, although I don't take them hiking because of their weight. The most common size is 12 ounces. They come sealed from the factory and once you open them they cannot be resealed on the trail, so they are really only good for a single use, and you don't get to choose what gets put in them. There are a number of manufacturers, including Anheiser-Bush and a few others.

rock steady
02-26-2015, 11:24
Slo-go'en got it right: stop at Jarrard Gap then its a beautiful walk (5m) over Blood Mtn to Neel Gap. Definitely stay at Blood Mtn Cabins. Good hiking!!

seadawg
03-01-2015, 03:44
I prefer to stop at Lance creek campground...built in last couple of years....its before you get to Jarrard Gap and is about an 8 mile hike from Gooch Mtn shelter.I'll be doing my annual Springer to Dick's Creek hike ...beginning March 14...hope to see y'all out there

comanche8f
03-01-2015, 17:45

I was going to carry a canister for the whole trail, but I did a few day hikes with it, and um, no. Takes up too much room, weighs several pounds, and overall is just a pain. Good container, and good seat, but not worth it.

horsefarm
03-02-2015, 20:08
Couldn't imagine carrying a canister for the entire trail. Did a two day hike with in Pisgah once and wanted to blow it up with fire and hatred when I got home.

rock steady
03-03-2015, 19:50
I was wrong.Jarrard Gap is part of the zone where canisters are required.I called the forest service to me sure and the regulation includes the campsite at Jarrard Gap.Sorry.

xrayextra
03-04-2015, 15:37
This stretch is located between points 26.7 and 31.7 miles north of the southern terminus of the A.T. at Springer Moutain, Georgia, and includes Woods Hole Shelter, Slaughter Creek Campsite, and Blood Mountain Shelter.This infers that it does not include Jarrard Gap but according to the postings in and about the area, Jarrard Gap campsites are included. When I thru-hiked in 2013, I camped just before Jarrard Gap (down the path to the water source, but off to the right). IIRC, rangers came into the camp at Jarrard Gap that evening to issue tickets.

comanche8f
03-04-2015, 20:39
From the ATC website

GEORGIABear canisters seasonally required for camping between Jarrard Gap and Neel Gap
A new U.S. Forest Service rule requires approved bear-resistant storage containers for overnight camping on a 5-mile stretch of the A.T. in the Chattahoochee National Forest between Jarrard Gap and Neel Gap, between March 1 and June 1 each year. This stretch is located between points 26.7 and 31.7 miles north of the southern terminus of the A.T. at Springer Moutain, Georgia, and includes Woods Hole Shelter, Slaughter Creek Campsite, and Blood Mountain Shelter. “Bear canisters” should be used to store food, food containers, garbage and toiletries. For more information, call the Chattahoochee - Oconee National Forest at (770) 297-3000.

Obiwan
01-26-2016, 18:56
I have often been accused of being too logical.

However.....if there IS a need for bear proof food containment in this small area....why not put in a bear box at each of the shelters???

Sarcasm the elf
01-26-2016, 19:24
I have often been accused of being too logical.

However.....if there IS a need for bear proof food containment in this small area....why not put in a bear box at each of the shelters???

The argument is that the tourists (disrespectful backpackers included) will fill them with garbage much like they often do to the shelters and the privies. To put it another way "This is why we can't have nice things!"

Puddlefish
01-26-2016, 20:04

Beets never hurt anyone.