PDA

View Full Version : Another New Hampshire mileage question

Road runner
02-19-2015, 16:35
I will be section hiking New Hampshire this summer. I have drastically cut my daily mileage so I can better enjoy this section. However, there are 2 days that I want to do more miles but I am not certain if it is doable.

Is is it possible to hike northbound from Lyme-Dorchester Rd to NH 25 (23.6 miles) in one day? I will be slack packing.

Is it possible to hike southbound from Full Goose Shelter to US 2 in Gorham (21.6 miles) in one day? This will be with a full pack.

I did several 20+ mile days in Vermont last summer.

Thanks

peakbagger
02-19-2015, 17:17
Full Goose to Gorham has significant elevation changes and a bunch of PUDS not many flat stretches and if they are flat they are usually muddy and the concept of switchbacks were not invented when the trail went (except for the Centennial Trail section)in so its straight up and down. It sort of gets easier as you head to Gorham southbound. There is at least one steep section with ladders bolted into rocks and a few other spots where folks wish there were. Many AT hikers break up this stretch at Gentian after hiking all the way from Georgia which is good indication of the difficulty. If you said Carlo Col to Gorham you would have a slightly better chance as you skip the long ridge walk and the hike up and over GooseEye. By the way the stretch from Full Goose to GooseEye is all above treeline and on nice day is a real nice hike that many folks don't talk about, it would be tough not to have some time to enjoy it. There are two bail options that bring you down to North Road in Shelburne if you need to bail, one at Gentian Pond and one not much father at Dream Lake.

Its been years since I have been on the other stretch south of the whites but I remember it as nice rolling terrain, nothing near as difficult as north of Glencliff.

just dad
02-19-2015, 21:04
Keep in mind that the miles in NH are nothing like the miles in Vermont. Last summer we hiked from Smarts Mountain to NH 25 in one day with full packs. It was a long day, but doable. You would only be adding 3.8 miles, but slack packing so it is quite possible. We did the section from Gorham to Full Goose in two days, but part of the reason was to lay up before hiking Mahoosuc Notch. I recall reaching Gentian Pond shelter reasonably early, but very wet. I would think Gorham to Full Goose would be a tough hike in one day.

Rain Man
02-20-2015, 00:33
Is is it possible to hike northbound from Lyme-Dorchester Rd to NH 25 (23.6 miles) in one day? I will be slack packing.

Is it possible to hike southbound from Full Goose Shelter to US 2 in Gorham (21.6 miles) in one day? This will be with a full pack.

I certainly could not do that mileage, not even close, when I section hiked NH. The first two days out of Hanover were similar to the rest of the AT in the south. After that, I was content and even happy to do 6 miles a day. YMMV.

For comparison, I've done two 20 mile days. One in the Smokies and one in Virginia.

Rain Man

tdoczi
02-20-2015, 19:17
gorham to full goose in a day is nearing impossible. i'm sure someone can do it, but nobo thrus who leave gorham tend to make it to carlo col at best, and thats an impressive feat.

the section south of the whites is more reasonable but the area around smarts and cube is a bit tougher than most give it credit for.