PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hiked in Merrell Vapor Glove or New Balance Minimums 10v2 Trail shoes?

jneedler
02-19-2015, 18:53
Has anyone hiked in the Merrell Vapor Glove (preferably version 2)? http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/36630M/0/Mens/Vapor-Glove-2

Also, has anyone hiked in the New Balance Minimus 10v2 Trail? http://www.newbalance.com/pd/minimus-10v2-trail/MT10-V2.html?dwvar_MT10-V2_color=Black_with_Jazz%20Green_and_Grey#color=Bl ack_with_Jazz%20Green_and_Grey

I would love any feedback on either, thanks.

gravityfalls
03-09-2015, 22:37
I have an older pair and used them hiking in Acadia NP. I found the pros to be they are extremely comfortable and light. Toebox had plenty of room for your feet to stretch out and the zero drop allowed natural footfalls. Like you're not wearing anything.

But being like not wearing anything was a con as well. In rocky areas with sharp edges granite, you really need watch where you placed your foot. With no padding you can feel every sharp edge on the rocks if that was the only place you step. Sometimes it could be very painful.

If you elect to use them you need to pay a little bit close attention to where you step.

gravityfalls
03-09-2015, 22:38
I have an older pair and used them hiking in Acadia NP. I found the pros to be they are extremely comfortable and light. Toebox had plenty of room for your feet to stretch out and the zero drop allowed natural footfalls. Like you're not wearing anything.

But being like not wearing anything was a con as well. In rocky areas with sharp edges granite, you really need watch where you placed your foot. With no padding you can feel every sharp edge on the rocks if that was the only place you step. Sometimes it could be very painful.

If you elect to use them you need to pay a little bit close attention to where you step.
Sorry, I was taking about the Merrells.

gbolt
03-10-2015, 07:41
I tried on the New Balance over the weekend and was pleasantly suprised. They are minimal and lightweight but do pull on the arch and give some good support. The vibram sole is a big plus and will probably last longer than the mesh toe box. The expected life is 600 - 800 miles depending on how much pavement is incountered.

My left foot was a perfect feel. However, no matter what I tried with the right foot, I could not get the "feel" right. I was really worried about a spot on the inner arch right at the base of the big toe. I finally passed on them and will probably go with a slightly more substantial shoe, especially the insole. I would not suggest purchasing these without checking the return policy and or finding a New Balance store to experience the shoe, first hand.

jneedler
05-03-2015, 23:56
gravityfalls - thanks for the input. I ordered the Merell Vapor Glove 2 and hiked the first ~160 miles of my thru hike in them. I loved the way they felt, but you're right: you feel EVERYTHING in them. My feet were very tender the first 2-3 days on the trail with them, and I had worn them for a few weeks prior to the trail in an effort to make sure that wouldn't happen (I've been steadily going more and more minimal every time I buy a pair of shoes for the past 2-3 years). After those 2-3 days, the bottoms of my feet weren't so tender, but I still had some muscular type aches in my feet and calves, which leads me to believe that I haven't fully adjusted to them. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be durable enough for the trail; I noticed three holes in the mesh uppers as early as Franklin, NC.

gbolt - I've worn the NB Minimus before for play / gym / casual and really enjoyed them, especially for CrossFit workouts. However, I finally destroyed them after a year or two, so I haven't had a chance to try them on the trail. Incidentally, I mostly wore mine in the gym and for running (pavement), and the vibram soled held up surprisingly well (did lose a couple of the hexes on the bottom, but only a couple and early on, so I think they were ill-placed). Other than that, they fared great until I tried them for rope climbing: the rope friction cut thru the soles like a hot knife thru butter.

Gry
08-11-2015, 21:35
I had a lot of issues with my feet this year switching from Salomon GTX mids, to salomon xr missions, to minimus 10v2. I did 400 miles in the NB and love them, my all time favorite shoes. However on rocky terrain my feet began to hurt. Once I came home I got the 10v3 NB and their design is much better! The 10v2 will get wet very easily and I wore the tread off quickly. The 10v3 have held up exceptionally.