PDA

View Full Version : flavoring oatmeal

birdygal
02-20-2015, 10:58
I have started using the oatmeal packets with almond milk at home. I really like it anyone know what you can take on a trip to make oatmeal taste as good, I have used powdered milk but it just is not as good

Walkintom
02-20-2015, 11:03
I mixed Nestle Nido in mine to get the extra calories. Worked pretty well.

Farr Away
02-20-2015, 11:07
If you like almond milk, you could put some almonds in a blender and pulse until you have a powder. Don't run the blender too long, or you'll end up with almond butter. Add a heaping spoonful or two to your oatmeal.

Or, you could add almond butter. Either could add similar flavor as what you're getting from the almond milk.

-FA

Ender
02-20-2015, 11:28
I flavor my oatmeal by throwing it away and replacing it with grits. :)

Sorry, have a bit of snark in me this morning. To answer your question...

Nestle Nido is supposed to be tasty, as Walkingtom suggested. I would use honey... totally different flavor, but yummy, and I also often use honey for my lunches (peanut butter and honey on a wrap), so it would serve double duty.

Cotton Terry
02-20-2015, 11:31
I use quick oats with hot water and mix in chopped walnuts and craisens.

Coffee
02-20-2015, 11:34
I was hiking last week and eating oatmeal with Nido. Now I'm back to eating oatmeal with my normal non-fat milk and it sucks in comparison. Nido is really some good stuff. I can justify using it on the trail but not so much in everyday life where I don't need to bulk up on fat calories as much.

Tipi Walter
02-20-2015, 11:41
After 35 years backpacking with the Mighty Oat I've done several things to make it interesting---
** Add peanut butter or cashew butter or almond butter with some honey.
** Add the usual dairy stuff: cream cheese, butter, Nido, powdered goat milk, even a hunk of cheddar cheese.
** Add wild edibles like mustard greens or chickweed or lamb's quarters.
** Add whole cashews or walnuts or pecans. Black walnuts really make it good.

pickNgrin
02-20-2015, 12:18
Brown sugar and cinnamon, or dried out blueberries.

wormer
02-20-2015, 12:33
I love almond milk, but I always make sure I choose one without carrageenan.

Ground Control
02-20-2015, 12:55
been on a HUGE oatmeal kick.

substitute 1/4 of the water with milk (Nido) and add a couple sliced strawberries (or blueberries), then a drizzle of Agave. (If using dehydrated fruit, adjust your water content accordingly.)

Sugar-Free and absolutely delicious.

RangerZ
02-20-2015, 13:05
Oatmeal plus Nido, splenda, and my trail mix - peanuts, cashews, raisins, dried pineapple and peanut m&ms for the chocolate. Last time it turned blue from the m&ms.

Connie
02-20-2015, 13:30
Packit Gourmet has Nature's First full Cream Milk Powder that has tastes good.
http://www.packitgourmet.com/Natures-First-Full-Cream-Milk-Powder.html

I don't use milk.

Butter and brown sugar are my mainstay oatmeal additive for backpacking.

I have golden raisins, when I can find them.

RED-DOG
02-20-2015, 13:37
when I ate oatmeal i put dehydrated fruit in mine such as banana, strawberry, apple you can find dehydrated fruit in the produce section in any grocery store and honey and almond butter, but i stopped eating oatmeal in 06 and started using Hot Cereal instead and put the same additives in it.

RED-DOG
02-20-2015, 13:49
also try extra virgin olive oil i put olive oil in everything.

Rolls Kanardly
02-20-2015, 14:43
How about powdered coffee creamer? It is worth a try.

Rolls

CarlZ993
02-20-2015, 16:58
I was hiking last week and eating oatmeal with Nido. Now I'm back to eating oatmeal with my normal non-fat milk and it sucks in comparison. Nido is really some good stuff. I can justify using it on the trail but not so much in everyday life where I don't need to bulk up on fat calories as much.
Nido tastes like 'real milk.' I added it to oatmeal when I had it (not too often) & to my granola cereal (normal breakfast). I'd also add it to some of my dinners as well.

gypsy97
02-20-2015, 19:02
Where do you find Nido? I'd like to try it with Malto cereal for trail use. Do you add the Nido to the cereal while it's cooking or mix it all up in advance? Grits were my mainstay breakfast when I attempted a thruhike in 1997, but I've eaten the instant kind lately and it's terrible. Maybe the trail makes it better?

oldwetherman
02-20-2015, 19:44
Add a pack of instant breakfast and some dehydrated fruit pieces that every grocery store stocks in the baby food section.

02-20-2015, 20:07
"Brown sugar and cinnamon, or dried out blueberries.[/QUOTE] 2nd this

Works wonders with moms quick oats.

Rocket Jones
02-20-2015, 20:28
Nido is powdered milk, but unlike Carnation, it's full fat. Find it in the ethnic section of the grocery store or Wally World.

Cookerhiker
02-20-2015, 20:36
I use quick oats with hot water and mix in chopped walnuts and craisens.

To this, I add flaxmeal, brown sugar, salt, and either cinnamon or ginger.

squeezebox
02-20-2015, 21:11
I'm gonna try schreaded coconut sometime soon, sounds good

Malto
02-20-2015, 21:29
Where do you find Nido? I'd like to try it with Malto cereal for trail use. Do you add the Nido to the cereal while it's cooking or mix it all up in advance? Grits were my mainstay breakfast when I attempted a thruhike in 1997, but I've eaten the instant kind lately and it's terrible. Maybe the trail makes it better?

I have mixed it dry with cereal in a ziplock then add water to the mix. Have also done small bags of Nido, mix with water and add cereal. And I don't make cereal!!!! just magical Malto mix.

Bricklayer
02-20-2015, 21:40
Birdygal, look at www.backpackingchef.com (http://www.backpackingchef.com). Chef Glenn has several recipes using whole rolled oats not instant. Especially look at using a homemade pot cozy he describes. Soak oatmeal, heat to a boil, put in a cozy and let stand. We like the process so much my wife has me prepare it this way at home. My son is a through hiker and a great benefit of a pot cozy is if you are using a typical metal cook pot, you can hold it in your hand while you eat. Ever tried to pick up a boiling hot metal pot?