PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding between Sunnto MC-2 and Cammenga 3H compasses...

vuarnet
02-20-2015, 11:34
So, I think these are fairly simple questions... but we'll see.

I'm trying to decide between two compasses, the Suunto MC-2 and the Cammenga 3H. I like features of them both, but the biggest difference that I can tell so far is that the Suunto has a declination adjustment. The Cammenga doesn't have that, so I'd need to do adjustments manually. I'll be completely honest -- I like the look and feel of the Cammenga. I like that it's rugged, stronger, a little heavier, and that the tritium will keep it lit even if I don't have a secondary light source. That being said, the Suunto is renowned for its accuracy, light weight and overall performance.

So, first, is declination that important? I hike in Western NC, specifically the Pisgah National Forest region most often, where the declination is around 8 degrees. I will probably be doing some Linville Gorge backpacking this spring as well, and I've heard it can be poorly maintained in area, so I need a compass I can rely on.

Second, is having a compass that has a declination adjustment important? Is it a legitimately worthwhile feature or a bell/whistle? Or how do you folks adjust for declination?

I'd like to hear your opinion on the matter. Hopefully I can get one ordered today and get comfortable with it before I go hiking again in a few weeks.

For what it's worth, I currently have a Suunto A-10 and I've never had any problems without a declination adjustment and I use the topo map for the area and stay on trail with no issues, but I worry that it declination would be more important when sighting longer distances if I wanted to go off-trail for a bit.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions!

Nodust
02-20-2015, 13:59
So, first, is declination that important? I hike in Western NC, specifically the Pisgah National Forest region most often, where the declination is around 8 degrees. I will probably be doing some Linville Gorge backpacking this spring as well, and I've heard it can be poorly maintained in area, so I need a compass I can rely on.

Second, is having a compass that has a declination adjustment important? Is it a legitimately worthwhile feature or a bell/whistle? Or how do you folks adjust for declination?

Over 4 miles you could be close to 1/2 mile off without adjusting for declination. If you use the compass to triangulate and walk a path in a certain direction, then yes it is very important. If you use your compass to see which direction to face to see the sunset then maybe not important.

Setting Declination (http://youtu.be/oN2NxjKQ1FQ) he also have videos on setting and following a bearing and reviews of different compasses.

fastfoxengineering
02-20-2015, 15:05
If you are truly using a compass to navigate, I would say a declination adjustment is very important. Also, if your asking how important declination is, I would recommend you take a wilderness navigation course before relying on your compass to navigate somewhere safely.

If your just trying to get a quick bearing, declination is not so important.

On day hikes in the White Mountains where the trails are pretty well marked and I have a good map, I carry a Suunto A-10. Never needed it, but use it to keep my skills up.

On a thru-hike of the AT, I would probably carry a quality AA 20mm button compass to save weight but still be able to get a bearing.

vuarnet
02-20-2015, 15:27
Thanks for the feedback folks. I've never had an issue just using my A-10 along the routes / areas I usually go. The declination where I hike is about 6 deg W, and I can navigate fairly easily just by getting a quick bearing and using landmarks to get there. That area (Shining Rock Wilderness) has great visibility, so it's never been a problem. Thankfully I have never needed to find my way using it in a life or death situation, I just use it to make sure I stay on track and that's about it.

Still, I think it's good sense to get comfortable with declination and navigating with a higher degree of precision, just in case I ever do need to rely on it in a life or death situation (I'd rather be prepared, for obvious reasons).

The main reason for the question "is declination really that important?" is because I asked two Eagle Scouts and both said "nah, as long as you're not on the sea or the desert, it's not really necessary", so I figured I'd poll another audience.

I ended up going with the Suunto MC-2 after all because I figured it'd be better to have the option to use more precise headings rather than not have the option.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Nodust
02-20-2015, 16:03
I have that compass also. The amount of time I really needed the declination correction has been zero. But I like just practicing with it, finding points on maps, and checking map vs my GPS just for fun.

When/if I really need it, I'll know how to use it. Plus it wasn't much more money than the one without declination correction.

Connie
02-20-2015, 17:02
If a watch has a rotating outer ring, you can set the declination right there.

I do that with my Timex Expedition.

Nodust
02-20-2015, 17:33
If a watch has a rotating outer ring, you can set the declination right there.

I do that with my Timex Expedition.

Need better explanation of that. How would you use that with a compass and map?

Connie
02-20-2015, 17:58
First, know the declination where you are. If you have the outer rotating "compass ring" (bezel) on, for example, the Timex Expedition watch, then here's how.

http://m.wikihow.com/Use-an-Analog-Watch-as-a-Compass

I like my Suunto M9 Wrist Compass, as well. But a watch is a compass.

Naturally, you are using landmarks. That is the meaning of a map and compass.
Especially so, a topographic map. Other landmarks are the tallest tree, etc.

I have always thought an excellent use of a nice watch like a Suunto is the altimeter. An altimeter can be a great assist in finding where you are, with a map and compass.

peakbagger
02-20-2015, 18:12
With around 17 to 18 degrees in my area declination is darn important especially when you get it swapped as it now becomes 32 to 34 degrees (ask me how I know). I do like an watch based altimeter to go along with a compass. Of course except for sightseeing and possibly during nasty weather in the Whites, there isn't much use for a compass on the AT except if you need to go off trail. A compass came in handy a couple of times when we had to look for water sources during off season.

Connie
02-20-2015, 18:20
peakbagger,

I'll bite. How do you know?

Did the earth flip axis? Did the magnetic pole wander off to the Aleutian Islands?

Nodust
02-20-2015, 19:05
First, know the declination where you are. If you have the outer rotating "compass ring" (bezel) on, for example, the Timex Expedition watch, then here's how.

http://m.wikihow.com/Use-an-Analog-Watch-as-a-Compass

I like my Suunto M9 Wrist Compass, as well. But a watch is a compass.

Naturally, you are using landmarks. That is the meaning of a map and compass.
Especially so, a topographic map. Other landmarks are the tallest tree, etc.

I have always thought an excellent use of a nice watch like a Suunto is the altimeter. An altimeter can be a great assist in finding where you are, with a map and compass.

That finds true north correct?

I don't care where magnetic north is if I know true north. You have confused me.

Connie
02-20-2015, 19:15
Read wikiHow again. If you are in the Northern Hemisphere, it finds South. 180 from there is North. Then, adjust outer ring offset.

Nodust
02-20-2015, 19:20
Read wikiHow again. If you are in the Northern Hemisphere, it finds South. 180 from there is North. Then, adjust outer ring offset.
Yes I understand how to find north with a watch. That finds true north correct? Why set the outer ring to declination correction if you already know true north?

Connie
02-20-2015, 19:23
That confused me.

Huh (thinking) It does find True North.

Nevermind. I'll just use the bezel for my heading, as I have done.

Nodust
02-20-2015, 19:31
This is what has me confused. Why set declination when you are finding true north.

rickb
02-20-2015, 20:28
Rather than futz around with declination adjustments, why not simply draw a line pointing to the magnetitc north on your map (either in your minds eye or with an actual pen and ruler) if one is not there already.

Then orient compass to that. Simple and fool proof even if stoned, stupid or tripping.

The only reason I can think to adjust your compass' declination thingy would be if someone is giving you compass directions to find Burried treasure, launch a mortar attack or run an orienteering course.

Am I wrong?

yerbyray
02-20-2015, 20:41
I live not too far away from you and go where you plan to go all of the time. My choice, which isn't one of your options but similar, is the Silva Ranger. I like that style of compass ( it is like the Suunto model you are seeking) because of the various pluses it offers.....map scale, measurement scale, clinometer, clear so you can use better with maps, signal mirror, chick magnet, lighter weight, easier to carry and looks cool hanging off your neck with that thin red cord.

As for the trititum....I have lights and redundant light as well as matches, glow sticks, and a lighter. I could map and compass at night but it is very difficult.

The gorge is a great place to hone map and compass skills as you can shoot a ton of bearings off known peaks.

Have fun.

Nodust
02-20-2015, 20:41
Rather than futz around with declination adjustments, why not simply draw a line pointing to the magnetitc north on your map (either in your minds eye or with an actual pen and ruler) if one is not there already.

Then orient compass to that. Simple and fool proof even if stoned, stupid or tripping.

The only reason I can think to adjust your compass' declination thingy would be if someone is giving you compass directions to find Burried treasure, launch a mortar attack or run an orienteering course.

Am I wrong?
There is already a line on good maps.

upstream
02-21-2015, 00:02

Am I wrong?

You are wrong on one thing: adjusting the compass' declination for running an orienteering course. Orienteering (the sport) maps typically have multiple lines pointing to (current) magnetic north. So, you wouldn't need them for that either.

That's why orienteering compasses, like the Suunto arrow 6, don't have any declination adjustment.

So, your plan is a good one!

Gray Bear
02-28-2015, 10:10
With around 17 to 18 degrees in my area declination is darn important especially when you get it swapped as it now becomes 32 to 34 degrees (ask me how I know). I do like an watch based altimeter to go along with a compass. Of course except for sightseeing and possibly during nasty weather in the Whites, there isn't much use for a compass on the AT except if you need to go off trail. A compass came in handy a couple of times when we had to look for water sources during off season.

+1 for the altimeter. I find myself using that more often to pinpoint my location around here. Which one are you using?