PDA

View Full Version : Need some help from some veteran Virginia hikers.

Spcshiznit
02-20-2015, 14:28
A friend of mine, his son, and I are trying to plan a trip along to AT near Charlottesville, VA. I was just wondering if anyone knew some great areas for day hikes (we'll be staying in Charlottesville), and that his seven years old son could handle? We've probably got 3 days of hiking on our hands. I've been on a few hikes hike, but they've all been in GA and NC. My knowledge of the AT is pretty much limited to those areas. Thanks for everything!!! Dave

Mobius
02-20-2015, 14:51
A friend of mine, his son, and I are trying to plan a trip along to AT near Charlottesville, VA. I was just wondering if anyone knew some great areas for day hikes (we'll be staying in Charlottesville), and that his seven years old son could handle? We've probably got 3 days of hiking on our hands. I've been on a few hikes hike, but they've all been in GA and NC. My knowledge of the AT is pretty much limited to those areas. Thanks for everything!!! Dave

Cold Mountain and Mount Pleasant are each 5 mile loops and make nice day hikes, though they're a bit south of Charlottesville. My daughter enjoyed them at that age (well, we still enjoy them).

HikingUpward lists a few shorter hikes in the area but I haven't done them. http://www.hikingupward.com/

You'll be at the southern end of Shenandoah National Park. Old Rag is highly popular (and often crowded on the weekends) but it's a ton of fun. It might be a consideration, but it'd be a long day hike for a 7 year old. I've seen kids that young out there though!

Praha4
02-20-2015, 15:43
that's close to Waynesboro ... if you park at the trailhead parking area where the AT crosses the Tye River, you can do a nice uphill dayhike in either direction. Southward the trail climbs The Priest .... and Northbound the trail climbs Three Ridges. IMO the better views are from top of Three Ridges, but both have nice views. If it's a nice day, either place has nice rock outcroppings at the top with nice views, good place for a lunch break. There's lots of other nice dayhikes along the AT in that area

Mobius
02-20-2015, 15:54
Three Ridges is a great hike but the 14 mile loop might be a bit much for a 7yr old. It'll depend on the child of course.

That reminds that Crabtree Falls is right along Route 56 also. Everyone loves waterfalls, right? It's a pretty steep climb but you can take your time and enjoy the sights. It can be a bit congested on weekends as well. There's a $3 (or so) self-pay parking fee at the parking lot for Crabtree.

LittleRock
02-20-2015, 15:58
[QUOTE=Old Rag is highly popular (and often crowded on the weekends) but it's a ton of fun. It might be a consideration, but it'd be a long day hike for a 7 year old. I've seen kids that young out there though![/QUOTE]

+1 to this - Old Rag is one of my all-time favorite day hikes.

u.w.
02-20-2015, 17:18
If you park on Fish Hatchery Lane (right off Crabtree Falls Hwy), Spy Rock is a not to long hike (it's also on hikingupward.com). Really outstanding view(s) from atop Spy Rock too.
On your way up from Fish Hatchery Ln, if ya take a right at the AT (instead the left to SpyRock), you'll hit the Seeley-Woodworth shelter, where there is a piped spring that gushes out the water. There ins't water at Spy Rock though

u.w.

RockDoc
02-20-2015, 17:20
There's a lot of elevation change in many of those areas. If you hit the wrong trail, it can be quite tough for a small fry.
You should buy the ATC topo maps, which show trail profiles, and make your decision from those.
You shouldn't go out without maps anyway...

jimmyjam
02-20-2015, 17:22
I would pull into the SNP and talk to the rangers I have found them to be very helpful in making recommendations

Frye
02-20-2015, 19:58
My advice would be a southbound hike up the priest.

02-20-2015, 20:04
In the park south river falls, doyal falls, Jones falls, Cold mt is a one mile south on the AT and a gentle grade, EZ for a 7 yr old. Cold mt is about an hour south of Char. to rt 60 . Hump back rocks is a short hike off BRP mile post ~~12-16 great place to catch a sunset.

Cookerhiker
02-20-2015, 20:40
You'll greatly benefit from purchasing PATC's guide to circuit hikes in Shenandoah NP. Excellent publication - been using it for 40 years.

https://www.patc.net/PublicView/Store/BrowseCategories/Core/Orders/product.aspx?catid=14&prodid=30