PDA

View Full Version : Can it be done?

Boo8meR
02-20-2015, 16:59
I got laid off yesterday, considering a NOBO thru-hike leaving within a month. I have gear and wife's blessing. I've always wanted to do it and I honestly don't think I'll ever be in a better position to do it. Haven't really trained for it, necessarily, but I know what's involved and have been backpacking my entire life.

Words of wisdom and encouragement welcome!

Lone Wolf
02-20-2015, 17:02
yes. go! make sure you got proper clothing, sleeping bag and shelter. do it!

gillian
02-20-2015, 17:05
I haven't left for my own NOBO yet, but I definitely think it's possible. You could also take more than a month to plan and leave a little later in April instead of within the month; this way you could avoid the bubble and possibly some cold temperatures as well.

soumodeler
02-20-2015, 17:17
Go for it! Just start off slow and don't push too hard the first couple of weeks.

I would also recommend waiting until April to start. Gives you more time, and avoids (hopefully) some of the worse weather. I am leaving April 7th.

gillian
02-20-2015, 17:22
soumdoeler, I'm also starting on the 7th; it might be a busy day! A couple of us are planning to fly into Atlanta that morning and split a shuttle; let me know if you would be interested.

Kaptain Kangaroo
02-20-2015, 17:22
Yeah, go for it !

You don't need any planning, just turn up at Springer with your winter gear & 3 days of food and start walking North. Don't get too ambitious with your mileage & get in shape as you hike.

Good luck !

bamboo bob
02-20-2015, 17:27
I did it with zero previous training. It's really just walking. It does help to get the proper gear and know how to use it.

jawnzee
02-20-2015, 17:27
you're in a better position to have a successful thru than just about anyone else, i'd say

Boo8meR
02-20-2015, 17:28
I was at Springer just a few weeks ago dreaming about the possibility. Now I'm staring it in the face. I have plenty of gear and would rather start sooner than later so I could try to finish up and be working again sooner. I've got the time and the money to do it and I'm pretty sure I can make it, my main concern is all of the planning and such. I'm glad that you guys are supportive, though. I'll probably be making the decision in the middle of next week.

soumodeler
02-20-2015, 17:31
gillian, thanks for the offer, but I have family taking me to Amicalola that morning.

kf1wv
02-20-2015, 17:49
Do it. Just take care of yourself, especially at first. It's a long haul, and you need to stay healthy!!!!!

saltysack
02-20-2015, 17:50
I'm 40 now...got laid off several years back.. unfortunately before I got into long distance hiking...married with 2 kids..financially sound...i sat around goofing off almost 1 year before going back to work...I wish my timing was as yours is!!! Wife's blessing....what r u waiting for...a thru is just s long series of section hikes..my bag stays mostly packed..(except for down gear)...ready to go in few minutes...GO 4 it!!!! Sounds like a once in a lifetime chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walkintom
02-20-2015, 17:54
Boo8mer,

You're well positioned to get it together and do a thru-hike. If you want to do the hike, I say go for it.

You've got the gear and how often do you think that this sort of opportunity will come your way? Get your guides in hand and get ready to start walking!

Spirit Walker
02-20-2015, 17:57
The planning isn't that difficult. All you need to do is get a Companion or Thruhikers Guide read up on the first few weeks so you have a chance to figure out your early options. By the time you get to Damascus, you'll be well broken in and have it pretty much figured out.

When I did my second thruhike I did it on the spur of the moment. Not fired, but I quit my job unexpectedly and had just three weeks to pack up my apartment, put everything in storage and get gear. It wasn't that difficult, because in reality, the gear isn't as important as you'd think and there are gear stores along the trail that will help if you need to replace anything later. You have a couple of weeks to get into better shape, so I'd really recommend getting out and walking every day between now and D-day. It will make those first few weeks a lot easier, and make it more likely that you'll stay on the trail rather than give up because of the pain.

fadedsun
02-20-2015, 18:03
FLY! Fly like the wind!

peakbagger
02-20-2015, 18:08
Since you are from Texas start later to reduce the cold weather issues. Spend some time reading the articles on this site, lots of good advice. Don't stress about making it to Katahdin, get your gear right, test it on a couple of short trips before you head to Springer.

Slo-go'en
02-20-2015, 18:09
If you got the gear, time and money, then all you need is the guide book. The rest is easy. I would wait until April. March is going to be really rough this year. Spend the next 4-5 weeks doing as much walking as possible. You'll have a much better chance of surviving more then a few weeks that way.

drifter
02-20-2015, 18:19
FLY! Fly like the wind!
+1 ..... Most can only dream!!

chiefduffy
02-20-2015, 18:33
You gotta do it! Are you kidding?! Dress warm and get up there. The trail will teach you what you need to know, if you pay attention.

dudeijuststarted
02-20-2015, 19:14
Go. This is clearly your time. Get there and start walking. Everything works itself out from there.

walkinslow
02-20-2015, 19:24
I'll see you on 3/2

permagrin
02-21-2015, 07:40
Due to my chosen field, work is cyclical, due to contracts, so layoffs are a pretty common thing. I think every time I've been laid off, I've done some traveling. Make sure yer all set financially (pay several months of cable bills, trash collection, car insurance, and so on) and then go for a walk. I'm 48, so my advice is "do it now"-don't wait for some here today, gone tomorrow boss or company to "allow" you to live your life. For me this is a 40 dream-jobs and bills will just have to wait. I start May 1. :)

Boo8meR
02-21-2015, 12:22
I don't think I'd be able to get out there by 3/2. We have some additional family issues going on and won't have results until the middle of March. Earliest would be around the 15th or so.

Strongly considering it. I spoke to the possible next employer yesterday and they said they could delay the onboarding process until this winter sometime and would still be interested.

I'm going to check all my gear this weekend to make sure I won't need any expensive replacements, take a look at a realistic timeframe, and go from there. My goal would be to finish before my daughter's birthday on 9/20. Additionally, we may be moving to Maine, so that could make a cool family trip in the fall to meet at Katahdin.

Side note for the Texas comment - I'm in NC now and have spent the better part of the last 6-7 years in Alaska. I'm not worried about the cold, in fact, most of my gear was used in AK.

Marta
02-21-2015, 13:55
What a perfect opportunity!

Are you in the oil industry, by any chance? (One of my sons is an MWD engineer. He's still employed, but there have been a lot of layoffs. He'll be on his way to the North Sea via Aberdeen in a couple of weeks.)

The terrain in Georgia is really forgiving, for people who have any hiking experience or fitness. Good luck on your hike!

Boo8meR
02-21-2015, 14:12
I am. I'm a directional driller. I spent 5 weeks in Aberdeen in 2014. I think I'm leaning strongly towards committing and just doing it.

CELTIC BUCK
02-21-2015, 14:38
The East is having a Winter for the History books ; beware of too early a start .Here in Western New York wind chill is -25 and the record was broken at -11.ur base snow is 4'; I can only imagine the Mountains now.Be careful
Have a grand Hike

rocketsocks
02-21-2015, 15:16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW_xGlL1XOc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW_xGlL1XOc

capehiker
02-21-2015, 15:24
I rarely believe in signs from higher powers but this one is pretty is close. ;) I think you should go for it but I'd like to suggest you wait until April. It really has been a brutal winter out east and I think you'll get more enjoyment if you waited a little longer.

Marta
02-21-2015, 16:43
I am. I'm a directional driller. I spent 5 weeks in Aberdeen in 2014. I think I'm leaning strongly towards committing and just doing it.

Nice!

Scotland is going to be a big change for my son. He's been in Papua New Guinea for the last couple of years, with occasional stints in Australia, the Philippines, and Kurdistan.

There's no time like the present. This has been dropped in your lap, as it were. One of the things about hiking the AT is it's a very flexible endeavor. (Don't spend too long reading WB threads in which people argue about the Rules, which only exist in the minds of the combatants.) You can take time off to help your family move, or whatever, and still have an excellent hike. Having them see you off in Georgia and then move to Maine before you finish would be fantastic! Best wishes!

Demeter
02-21-2015, 17:44
Go for it!! I think if your wife is supportive then you have no better time than the present. You can still get in pretty decent trail shape before you start if you go for walks with your loaded pack every day. Then you can get better mileage in and prevent injuries. Good luck!

hikeandbike5
02-21-2015, 17:53
go for it.

QiWiz
02-21-2015, 18:05
Go for it. Have a great hike.

woodguy
02-21-2015, 19:29
Strike while the iron is hot and just DO IT...

Best of luck to you!

Gyrene4Life
02-21-2015, 19:37
I cant say it any different than most folks on here... DO IT. I wouldn't sweat taking off a little later, I am planning on getting up there the week of April 20th.

Hoofit
02-21-2015, 20:18
Head for the hills!

dangerdave
02-22-2015, 10:25
Gear + Time + Money + Determination = Katahdin

All you have to do is walk...and enjoy the view. Why are you even asking?! :)

FatMan
02-22-2015, 11:23
One of the things about hiking the AT is it's a very flexible endeavor. (Don't spend too long reading WB threads in which people argue about the Rules, which only exist in the minds of the combatants.)Post of the decade!

DRay
02-22-2015, 11:26
I am stepping off on April 11. Seems like a pretty popular time frame. Happy hiking to all and will see you out their.

Speakeasy TN
02-22-2015, 12:15
Head 'em up, move 'em out!

Boo8meR
02-22-2015, 12:31
Having a more serious talk with the wife about it today to try to lay out a timeframe, a budget, and a plan. If say we're at about 70/30 in favor of going, now. I do have one gear request - my current boots are made for alpine hunting. They're a pair of Lowa's and I love them, but they're really heavy and geared towards hunting (Lowa Extreme Hunter GTX). Can anyone make a suggestion for a good boot for the trail? I'm looking for something that's lighter and maybe not quite as tall. If I'm gonna do it, I want to go ahead and buy a pair and get them broken in over the next month.

Thanks!

journeywoman
02-22-2015, 13:21
If not now, when?

soumodeler
02-22-2015, 14:32
Having a more serious talk with the wife about it today to try to lay out a timeframe, a budget, and a plan. If say we're at about 70/30 in favor of going, now. I do have one gear request - my current boots are made for alpine hunting. They're a pair of Lowa's and I love them, but they're really heavy and geared towards hunting (Lowa Extreme Hunter GTX). Can anyone make a suggestion for a good boot for the trail? I'm looking for something that's lighter and maybe not quite as tall. If I'm gonna do it, I want to go ahead and buy a pair and get them broken in over the next month.

Thanks!

Go over to Franklin, NC and see Rob at Outdoor 76.

Speakeasy TN
02-22-2015, 17:44
get Rob to show you the Vasque Breeze, very little break in.

squeezebox
02-23-2015, 00:58
Might as well get unemployment for a while, sign up see what you can get.

Boo8meR
02-23-2015, 09:42
Go over to Franklin, NC and see Rob at Outdoor 76.

I'm about 4 1/2 hours from Franklin. Is there an option anywhere near the Uwharries?

Boo8meR
02-23-2015, 09:51
Had another conversation last night with my wife and I think it may be a go. I ordered the guide yesterday and I'm trying to figure out some logistics. I'm still hung up on some gear issues. I love my boots but they were much better sidehilling on Kodiak than they have been on AT section hikes. Also, the never ending dilemma of "to hang or not to hang." I have a BA Fly Creek Platinum that I like; but, it seems to get a little wet inside and I really don't want to end up dealing with wet gear every night, plus I'm a side/back sleeper and like the idea of the comfort associated with a hammock set up. I've been checking out the other site, don't worry.

Anyways, I expressed to my wife how important it is that we make a decision sooner than later so I can make some last minute preparations and start training (which I'm honestly gonna do, regardless, so I don't waste the days I could be training if it takes a few more days to make the decision).

Trying to see if it makes sense to have her prepare trail meals here and ship them to me or if it's easier/cheaper to just resupply on the trail. Also might need to consider a new pack as my 7,000+ hunting pack may be a little overkill.

My favorite part about any endeavor like this is the planning phase but I always get burnt out because I get super excited planning and getting ready and then have to wait ages for the event to take place. If I go through with this, I'd probably be leaving around March 15th, so that shouldn't be an issue this time!

Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone. I've gone from on the fence to fully committed and about to take the plunge. I've wanted to do it as long as I can remember, so I'm really hoping it works out and I've got boots on the ground within a few weeks.

Green Machine
02-23-2015, 11:19
Had another conversation last night with my wife and I think it may be a go. I ordered the guide yesterday and I'm trying to figure out some logistics. I'm still hung up on some gear issues. I love my boots but they were much better sidehilling on Kodiak than they have been on AT section hikes. Also, the never ending dilemma of "to hang or not to hang." I have a BA Fly Creek Platinum that I like; but, it seems to get a little wet inside and I really don't want to end up dealing with wet gear every night, plus I'm a side/back sleeper and like the idea of the comfort associated with a hammock set up. I've been checking out the other site, don't worry.

Anyways, I expressed to my wife how important it is that we make a decision sooner than later so I can make some last minute preparations and start training (which I'm honestly gonna do, regardless, so I don't waste the days I could be training if it takes a few more days to make the decision).

Trying to see if it makes sense to have her prepare trail meals here and ship them to me or if it's easier/cheaper to just resupply on the trail. Also might need to consider a new pack as my 7,000+ hunting pack may be a little overkill.

My favorite part about any endeavor like this is the planning phase but I always get burnt out because I get super excited planning and getting ready and then have to wait ages for the event to take place. If I go through with this, I'd probably be leaving around March 15th, so that shouldn't be an issue this time!

Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone. I've gone from on the fence to fully committed and about to take the plunge. I've wanted to do it as long as I can remember, so I'm really hoping it works out and I've got boots on the ground within a few weeks.

Don't get hung up on the minutia. If you start hiking in your hunting boots, and decide they don't work, Neels Gap is only 3 days away. The opportunity to do a thru hike may never come again. If it were me, I'd pounce on the opportunity, but I'd at least have a rough plan, and I'd opt to start later if I were not in trail-shape. Just my 2 cents. I hope to read about your Katahdin summit sometime this fall. Best of luck.

-GM

comanche8f
02-23-2015, 12:30
I got laid off yesterday, considering a NOBO thru-hike leaving within a month. I have gear and wife's blessing. I've always wanted to do it and I honestly don't think I'll ever be in a better position to do it. Haven't really trained for it, necessarily, but I know what's involved and have been backpacking my entire life.

Words of wisdom and encouragement welcome!

If not now, when? Do it while you have the opportunity. You would be amazed at the amount of people I have run into that said "Wow, that's cool, I always wanted to do that". Don't be that person

soumodeler
02-23-2015, 13:36
I'm about 4 1/2 hours from Franklin. Is there an option anywhere near the Uwharries?

I am 4 hours away as well, but the drive to me was absolutely worth it.

I am sure you can find an outfitter closer, but as someone else mentioned, if your current boots are usable, hike with them to Neel Gap (3 days) and determine there if you want to change. Mountain Crossings has a decent selection of shoes as well, with some very knowledgeable people.

Boo8meR
02-23-2015, 13:45

I am sure you can find an outfitter closer, but as someone else mentioned, if your current boots are usable, hike with them to Neel Gap (3 days) and determine there if you want to change. Mountain Crossings has a decent selection of shoes as well, with some very knowledgeable people.

We did a short section hike from Springer to Woody Gap back in December and I know they aren't going to work. I think I'd rather just go ahead and get something else and start breaking them in between now and then...

saltysack
02-23-2015, 13:55

Start with current broken boots....Franklin just lil over 100 miles up the trail....stop into outdoor 76 and grab a room at Havens motel just down the road...

saltysack
02-23-2015, 13:55
.......Broke in boots

soumodeler
02-23-2015, 16:06
We did a short section hike from Springer to Woody Gap back in December and I know they aren't going to work. I think I'd rather just go ahead and get something else and start breaking them in between now and then...

In that case, make a day trip out of it and head over to Franklin. You will not regret it. Just make sure to go on a weekday to see Rob as he does not work on Saturdays.

Boo8meR
02-23-2015, 18:16
I'M DOING IT!!!

Just got done talking to the wife one more time. It's happening. Just planned out the next few years of our life, starting with my 2015 NOBO thru-hike!!!

walkinslow
02-23-2015, 18:29
Good for you. Make sure to say, hey when you blow past me.

Marta
02-23-2015, 22:41
Your closest AT specialty shop is probably Mount Rogers Outfitters in Damascus.

A lot of hikers, probably most, wear running shoes. Your feet stay cooler and dryer, etc. In March, though, boots might be nice for warmth and traction.

Most people agree that resupplying along the Trail is cheaper than shipping yourself food.

Exciting times!

Second Hand
02-23-2015, 22:50
We are given few opportunities in life to follow our dreams.
I think you have to do this because you will likely never have another chance.

Good luck!

sureaboutthis
02-24-2015, 12:24
Jump on the web and give yourself a crash-course in gear and techniques. Get in a quick shakedown if you can. It's too late for much physical training, but you should do what you can.

I went south last year without backpacking experience, and 40 pounds overweight. Don't sweat it.

Above all, enjoy yourself and be safe.

q-tip
02-25-2015, 12:46
One thought on training, GA is a killer. You might use the time you have left on hitting the gum focusing on leg strength. Primarily squats, lunges, and bench steps. Go for it. You can make many adjustments at Neels Gap. Good Luck.

Boo8meR
02-25-2015, 20:19
Ears deep in planning this. Can anyone provide any type of checklist or a link to such an animal? Not really looking for a pack list, more of a planning list.

Case in point - permits for GSMNP, Baxter State Park info, any type of no brainer stuff that could make/break a hunt if not considered while planning, etc.? I'm not overwhelmed, yet. Just running my mind at a million miles an hour all day long trying to get ready for this and don't want to mess up and forget something critical.

Thanks!

jupiterkn
02-25-2015, 20:51
Bee in planning for a few months now. Got almost all gear, starting on food drops etc. starting 4/16 and have wife's blessing. Grateful for that support for sure. Going to be a heck of an adventure. See you all on the trail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

squeezebox
02-25-2015, 22:40
When I was about your age I did a bicycle tour around Europe for 4 months. One of the best things I've ever done.

Marta
02-26-2015, 01:01
Ears deep in planning this. Can anyone provide any type of checklist or a link to such an animal? Not really looking for a pack list, more of a planning list.

Case in point - permits for GSMNP, Baxter State Park info, any type of no brainer stuff that could make/break a hunt if not considered while planning, etc.? I'm not overwhelmed, yet. Just running my mind at a million miles an hour all day long trying to get ready for this and don't want to mess up and forget something critical.

Thanks!

For a NOBO hike, you don't have to do much in the organizing and permit-arranging line before you start. Permits for the Smokies are gotten right before you reach them. The guidebooks, such as the Companion, will explain the details. But the pertinent point is that you don't need to worry about it now.

I like carrying maps. It's worth it to join the ATC in order to get the member discount on the map set. I wouldn't bother with the accompanying guidebooks--you'll be passing through too fast to need all that supplementary information.

Boo8meR
02-26-2015, 21:22
Added a blog/journal...

Boomer's Blog | Attempting to thru-hike the Appalachin Trail on an impulse… https://wanderingboomer.wordpress.com/