PDA

View Full Version : I need your help.

Husko
11-02-2005, 02:00
For the past three years, I've hiked on north Manitou Island In N.W. Michigan. Each hike was a 8 day solo hike and basicly once you landed, what you had was what you had to work with. I have always enjoyed it. It's something that I had always looked forward to with great anticipation...

I think I have the gear required for an AT hike but im sure it's a bit on the heavy side. I've found it difficult to get my pack below 60 lbs for an 8 day hike.

I've finally came to except the reasoning behind why I hike. I like the solitude. I like feeling of self reliance at every moment. Each time I leave for my vaction people at work look at me as if I have some sort of social problem. They ask me all sorts of things. Thier eyes question my intent and reason. The biggest question always gotten was: "What are you going to do out there?" stuff like that ya know?

I've been watching this forum for a year or two and i'm finally starting to think about a possible 06' hike. I think I can pull up about $2000 If I'm lucky and watch my budget for a south bound hike in May 06.

Problem is, just the thought of it frieghtens me. I'll have to quit my job. I will ask for a 6 month leave of course but I'm assuming that will not go as well as I would like. I am very fortunate to have this job that I do at this time in my life with out a college degree and I't might be a big mistake to take the chance to take 6 months off, as I'm not sure what sort of work I will be able to find when I get back If things don't go well.

I'm 32 years old, never married and have no children. I have a dog that I adore beyond comprehension of most mortals... I have a few health problems that so far have not stood in the way of most everything I do, even my recent hikes.

Here is my delima. I'm not sure If I'm going to be around in the next 10 years or even the next 5 years for that matter, but still.... Most everyone I've talked to about my hikes or my intentions to hike the AT bascily rewarded me with a blank stare. My mentions of the AT make me feel as If I want to be irresponsible, or be a bum for a short time in my life. They just make me feel stupid to even think of the idea..........

If I do infact attemp the AT trail, it will most likely be the biggest and possibly the last achievement of my life. Each time I think about this, the answer seems simple. But most of the reaction I get make me second guess myself. I know they have the best intentions, but can't help but think they are niave to what I feel.

If I do leave in 06' I can anticipate having a difficult time finding a new job ect, but as far as I can see, that's not going to change even if I were to plan to hike the AT 2 or even 4 years from now. In short, I have a few logistic problems when I return and no matter how I spin it, I will have to deal with them when I return, not before hand as I do not have the money for padding....

I want to do this.

Please pick apart my post as required... Thank you for you help..

-Husko 06'
"I've only seen mountains in my dreams."

Rollergirl
11-02-2005, 04:03
My only thing: I personally don't feel that $2000 is enough for a thru hike. I know people have done it for less and some people do it for MUCH more, but that's my only point to bring up!

Otherwise, just go! Everything sorts itself out on the trail. You never know who you'll meet, what connections you make, what you discover about yourself until you just give it a shot.

Plan mentally and financially for success; whatever experience you end up having along the AT will be worth any hardships you go through to sacrifice for it!

Muchas SMoochas,
Rollergirl

Just Jeff
11-02-2005, 04:57
Whose life are you living?

If you only have 5-10 years left, why spend it working? And worrying about work? And making your decisions based on the blank stares of others? Work enough to meet your needs and enjoy the rest of each day doing what you want.

Not trying to judge or be snide because I don't know the details of your situation, but if this is something you want to do then you don't need the approval of people who don't understand why you want to hike. (If they understood, they wouldn't give you a blank stare.) Hiking, the way people on this site hike, is something people either "just get" or don't - you can't really explain it, so don't be put off by the blank stares. Hell, my wife has moved beyond blank stares to rolling her eyes when I talk about my next trip! (I still get the kitchen pass, though... :) )

If you've made the decision that this is what you want, and that you can handle the consequences of it, then your biggest problem is losing 30 pounds from your pack! Post a gear list and we'll hack it up in no time.

Just an opinion from a not-yet-thru-hiker.

Jeff

Gray Blazer
11-02-2005, 08:17
Don't worry about what others think about you. You'll be kicking yourself in the butt if you don't go through with this. I say go for it. Good luck!

LIhikers
11-02-2005, 09:53
My advice is to follow your dream. You get the blank stares because those people can't imagine a life that doesn't fit into the "normal" routine. They work long and hard to get more "stuff", they can't imagine why anyone would want to go for 6 months with less "stuff". Sounds like you are worried about the job situation. I bet the boss hasn't given you any garuntees that you'll be working there next week, let alone next year. There's no way to know if you'll find a better or worse job after your hike.
My 2 cents would be to start saving your money like a mad man and just do the hike.

MorrisseyFan
11-02-2005, 10:09
Husko,

I'm in a similar situation in that I'm in a job that typically would require a degree, but I never earned one. I'm telling myself that the important part of taking a leave of absence is COBRA insurance; after all, there's no gaurantee that a job will be waiting for me when I return. I have some special health considerations (indeterminate UC/Crohn's), and I'm pretty clumsy, so I couldn't imagine going without insurance. I have confidance that I can find a job when I get home, though, even though I'm pretty sure it won't be the job I had when I left.

Good luck to ya!

D'Artagnan
11-02-2005, 10:18
There are two quotes from Mark Twain which I feel fit your situation:

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

...and

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Whittle down that pack weight and hit the trail. If you are inclined to post what sorts of things you're carrying, I'm sure there are any number of people here who will offer suggestions to get you under 60 lbs. (Assuming of course you want to do that.)

I look forward to hearing more from you and about your thru-hike.

Spartan Hiker
11-02-2005, 10:59
Don't sweat the job. Be up front with your current employer in defining your goal(s). You might be pleasantly surprised by their response. Even if you lose your job you'll land on your feet. Besides, if I were an employer and your resume stated that you thru-hiked 2100+ miles over the Appalachians, I would be impressed. Attempting it is a testament to focused discipline, the will to succeed, mental and physical endurance, and inspirational. Go for it!

the goat
11-02-2005, 11:06
$2000 bucks is plenty for a thru. i did one for less, incidentally i carried 50+ lbs too. you're set!

Trooper347
11-02-2005, 11:27
Husko, I understand your feelings. I am 35 years old, and live with my brother that is paralyzed from the chest down. I have been out of work for almost a year, ever since my brothers last trip to the hospital for a blood infection that almost killed him. I am deathly afraid of leaving him alone for fear he will have another medical problem, as we have no other relatives close. His health will ultimatly decide the fate of my hike.

I have decided to sell my 2004 toyota and attempt a thru hike. I have little experience hiking, though as a Army veteran, I feel can take care of myself, and love going camping regularly.

I have talked to my brother, and other family and friends, and have recieved the blank stares of those that have no understanding for the need to try this type of thing. They spend all their time worrying about jobs, and cash, and the things that really do not matter in life. I have been told I am a fool for wanting to sell a new truck to go for a walk in the woods, but I can always buy a car.

I plan on looking for a job when I return, and will still help my brother as I am needed to. Watching my brother slowly fade year by year, has affected me to the point that if I do not do it now, I will never have the will to do it without him.

I would not worry about a job, there are always jobs. I would not worry about the blank looks, some people will never understand. In the end, all i can say is that if you have a feeling of regret for not doing something, there is only one way to fix it. Just follow your feelings, and let your body follow.

If you decide to attempt the hike in '06, I hope to see you on the trail. Best of luck to you.

RedneckRye
11-02-2005, 11:41
GO.

In our world, you are allowed to quit your job. Most folks do that only if they have a better job lined up. It confuses the hell out of most people if you quit "just to go out and be a bum". But you know what? It is what is important to YOU that counts, not them. You've probably found a job a few times already in your life and you can do it again. You might even find a better one when you get back from your hike. You've got more experience now than you did the last time you were looking for a job.

You mentioned that you are 32, not married, no kids. I'm in that same boat (a couple of years older), and that is an incredibly free way to be. Once you have to explain your decision to a partner, or work around the responsibilities of parenthood, your options seem to get a bit more limited.If you're not up to your ears in debt (mortgage, school loans, car payments, credit card bills, etc), then GO. Put your stuff in storage (a friend or family member's dry basement is usually a pretty cheap option) and GO.

During my thru way back in '99, I wasn't the most responsible in tracking my cash flow. MMM...cheeseburgers and beer...MMM! I was pretty well out of money when I got to VT. But since I'd paid my credit card off before I left on my hike, and I knew that I would find another job when I got home, that is how I paid for VT, NH, and ME. It made for some sparse living for a few months when I got back home, but after my hike I wasn't the same person as I was before my hike. Sparse living was OK.

My $.02, but remember, GO.

Spirit Walker
11-02-2005, 11:54
Life is short. As you know, there is no telling what is around the corner. The AT may change your life in ways unimaginable right now. Or not. The question is, five years from now, what will you wish you had done?

When my husband did his AT hike, it took a couple of years for his life to stabilize again. He got a job, but it didn't last (last hired first fired in big layoffs), he was out of work then for over a year, his marriage ended, etc. In the end, it all worked out well, but there were some anxious moments. I know he never, despite the problems, regretted doing his hike. A few years later, we started talking about doing another long hike. The question came up - he would be even older after the next hike, and still in a field with limited job opportunities, should we risk the future simply to enjoy the present? He never hesitated. Especially after his younger brother had his second heart attack and subsequent bypass surgery. When we came back from our second and third hikes we were broke, homeless and jobless. He got a job a month after our return, we found a place to live and eventually bought a house, and now we are planning our next long hike. For us, the answer was - live now. But only you can decide whether you are able to give up the illusion of security enough to go for it.

One thought - your heavy pack may be related. You may be packing to your fears rather than your needs. Think about whether you really NEED everything you are carrying, or if you are just afraid of being cold or hungry or uncomfortable and so are carrying things that you don't really really need.

Husko
11-03-2005, 23:02
Thank you, everyone, for the support. I have to admit I got a bit teary eyed reading all your comments. It feels good.

Last night I told my family. They really think I fell off the rocker this time. Of course, I still have a lot of explaining to do, but I think they might understand by the time I go. After I talked to them about it, I felt a bit strange. I felt like a teenager asking for approval to take the car out. I've been living on my own since I was nineteen but I've realized, for the past 13 years, I've been hanging around, looking for their approval and acceptance in everything I do. Trying to prove to them that I am succeeding in life and hoping they would be proud.

Strange, a few posts on a message board could make me realize that this is my own life, much like I will experience my own hike on the AT trail. Thank you.

I still have a lot to think about when it comes to my job.

I am very happy some of you are willing to help with my pack weight. I will start sorting out my gear for a list. I've been using an Osprey 90 and its a HUGE pack... And VERY heavy. I think its about 6lbs. It was very expensive three years ago and not sure I'll have the money to invest in a new one, So I might have to deal with it.

I'm concerned about a South bound hike being too difficult from the start, but I will really need the extra time to top off my savings for this hike.

Well that's a start. Thanks for pushing me over the edge :) I would like to post a gear list by the end of this weekend.

-Husko

LIhikers
11-04-2005, 08:52
Yep, that sure is a big pack, just don't fill it up.........lol

Burn
11-04-2005, 10:23
husko....get out with that pack as much as you can this winter and go with less each time. the way to drop weight is easy...when you go out, anything you didn't use last time, don't take this time. next trip start dwindling more of the extras....instead of 3 or 4 pairs of socks, just carry 1 spare pair. drop triplicate items for multiuse items....ie, i used to carry about 4 or 5 things to keep me warm...ended up that i use what i wear when i hike and a outter layer rain jacket and if i couldn't move fast enough to stay warm (which once you get used to it, you realize you will stay warm if yer hiking) i set up camp, got in my bag and warmed back up. this really does work. i night hiked off tray mt in march because i couldn't sleep, couldn't stay dry, and was just miserable...hiked till i was pooped and cold, set up in a flash and got warm, then hiked when i woke up.

adapt, improvise, overcome.

drop excess cookware for a spork (or spoon) and cook pot. learn to use a pespi stove.

in this way, you'll figure out what works for you with what ya got already.

someone says "whoever carries the least is the most free." investigate that philosphy and you'll find yer happier out there with less...and less becomes more.

study up on how much food and snacks you need for a 4 day hike only. there are very few places you can't get resupplied in 2-3 days....3 days was average for me, so why carry 5-10 days of food.

don't go insane over the first aid kit...duct tape and generally good common sense is really the only thing i carried for first aide. now this is just an example, so don't think i'm trying to be a doctor...the cuts i got, i just spit on and sucked it up.

"ME & U"
11-04-2005, 11:04
Confucius say:
"The man of virtue makes the difficulty to be overcome his first business, and success only a subsequent consideration."

"WE" say, go hike your ass of and let the other futher muckers figure it out for their damned selves!
Once you commit to it, do it! You wont regret, you'll merely better youself and the thoughts of you in others minds.
My parents are proud of my lifes accomplishments, not because of what I've done, but because I've demanded it from them. I do without asking! If I fail, then it would be my "difficulty to be overcome" and therfore, not a burden to them. In the end... I found that they supported my ideas more than ever before and our relationship together has flourished.
Sure, you'll take a pounding from the folks who care about you, if you look at it that way. Most of the time, it's their concern for your well-being that clouds their judgment of your ideas.
The point is that it's your idea! Yeah sure, a zillion other guys and gals have had the same idea before you but so what!
Hiking well is in the mind of you.
Besides, isn't that the reason you want to do it in the first place? To be in the mind of you? Not them.
Anyway, you don't need all of us to encourage you. You'll do it! You know you will simply because you can.
Not sure what you meant about "it being your last accomplishment" but if that's the case, what the Hell you waiting for!? Spring?:sun
Have fun in the planning, just don't spend any money on it!
Instead, buy a four dollar Data Book, stuff a fist full of the rest in your pocket and start walking, you'll get there.