PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question: How do you get your pack to the trail?

Frank_the_cat
02-21-2015, 01:54
How do you get your pack and all your gear on a plane? I always assumed I would check my back, but I'm nervous about putting it through the luggage system and having something stolen or broken.

Am I overthinking this or do you have advice?

fastfoxengineering
02-21-2015, 04:40
Some ultralight packs would prob die in checked baggage.

I've always had good experiences with the USPS.. Insured, tracking, stays in a sealed box.

its not that expensive cause I buy water and food when I get there. So it really only weighs about 10lbs. And with no food in my food bag. It packs small enough

illabelle
02-21-2015, 06:34
Our packs go in duffel bags when we fly. They'll have everything except water and fuel. When we arrive at our destination, we stuff one duffel inside the other with a set of clean clothes to fly home in, and leave the duffels with our shuttler.
Thru-hikers will mail their duffel bag home, or use a cheap trash bag instead, and then just throw it away.

Malto
02-21-2015, 06:50
Go get a duffle bag at Goodwill or a similar place then donate to the cause when you arrive. Much easier to do with small pack then large.

MuddyWaters
02-21-2015, 08:32
I check my pack, collapsible 3 piece poles, sleeping pad, and other items in a small duffel. $$$ Down and $$$ cuben tent get carried on with me.

Unfortunately goodwill is unreliable. Walmart carries much too heavy wt items today too. What you want is a simple, thin, cheap $10 duffel from China, big enough to hold and protect your stuff. Some will use a laundry bag. It all depends on how big your pack is. The less it looks like a pack, the less chance for things to go missing IMO.

Mail the duffel home if its an expensive one, or trash it or give away if its $10.

Ive seen plenty just carry their pack on. You need small pack, and usually no poles, although some report being able to bring theirs.

baumfamily
02-21-2015, 09:10
I bought large suitcase at the Salavation Army for a few bucks and put my pack in it along with all my gear. When I arrived at the Hostel they took it off my hands.

Coffee
02-21-2015, 09:22
I am a proponent of carrying on the pack while mailing items that cannot be carried on to the destination. Keep in mind, however, that if you use any commuter flights on small jets they may "gate check" your pack. As a result, always carry at least a lightweight laundry bag or trash compactor bag in case you have to gate check the pack. Chances of losing your pack when gate checked is much smaller than normal luggage. You can often see them load the gate checked items into the plane. Then you get it back at the gate on arrival. And there is no fee.

Traveler
02-21-2015, 10:10
I travel by air a lot and will usually just ship my pack, poles, and other gear ahead of me via UPS to wherever I am staying or a nearby UPS store for pick up. If you are going to fly with the pack, you may run into problems with poles or other objects in the packs. Not all TSA stations use the same interpretations of what can be brought on board (arguing with them about the item not being on the list won't help much and is likely to help you miss the flight).

Carry on luggage sizes have changed in the past few months among the major carriers (gotten smaller) with a 45" linear measurement, or 22"L x 14"W x 9"H. Southwest and other regional airlines are slightly larger. Airlines are getting kind of picky with this sizing, I have seen a lot of bags prevented from getting on the plane at the gate due to being slightly oversized. If you are inside these measurements, you are probably ok (presuming no knives or other items that draw TSA attention are in it).

If you check the pack, best advice has been posted, find a duffel bag to protect the pack, if you use a lock on it, be sure the lock can be undone by TSA (locks are labeled if they are TSA compliant).

Checked bags can cost about the same as shipping. Shipping has less chance of being misplaced in the system or damaged during transit.

Don H
02-21-2015, 10:40
Two years ago I flew with a group of 100 Scouts to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. Almost every person used a laundry bag to put their pack in. Denver International is known for eating luggage but no one had a problem. Just make sure you tuck the draw string in.

When I flew to Atlanta I used a duffle bag and brought a USPS box to ship it home in. I wrapped my poles in cardboard so they wouldn't get bent.

Also be aware of what you can not take in your luggage. Here's some info on that: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/camping-gear

Wolf - 23000
02-21-2015, 12:36
I just carry my pack as "carry-on" and place it in the over head baggage. I only use a book-bag size backpack at best when taken my long distance trips which is smaller than many people normal carry-on. The different is most people "carry-on" they are only carrying a short distance around the airport. If I'm carrying something around for a couple hundred or thousand of miles, wouldn't it make sense to carry less weight than someone just travel around the airport?

Wolf

Walkintom
02-21-2015, 12:58
If you check your pack - make SURE it is contained inside another item such as a duffel or luggage. Airlines replace contents of luggage, but not so much the luggage itself if it gets banged up. So if your pack isn't inside of something and they rip a strap off the airline isn't likely to be very helpful.

Odd Man Out
02-21-2015, 14:00
If you check your pack - make SURE it is contained inside another item such as a duffel or luggage. Airlines replace contents of luggage, but not so much the luggage itself if it gets banged up. So if your pack isn't inside of something and they rip a strap off the airline isn't likely to be very helpful.

Interesting. Years ago my luggage didn't come up after the flight so I went to the ticket counter for lost luggage and there it was. They set it aside so I could make a claim because it was damaged. The funny thing was it was this old ugly canvas suit case and I said it wasn't damaged - it's looked that bad for decades. Then I though I blew it, I could have made a claim and gotten a new bag.

rusty bumper
02-21-2015, 14:22
I bought a cheapo suitcase at a local discount store that held my pack and collapsed poles and checked it with the airline. I gave the suitcase to the owner of the place I stayed at in Atlanta when I left for Springer.

Frank_the_cat
02-22-2015, 14:55
Awesome, thanks guys. I'm sure my husband has a duffel bag I can chuck and I'll carry anything expensive. Thanks.

_Murray_
03-04-2015, 13:39
I just check my bag when flying. If the bag can't withstand being moved between a couple of trolleys and sitting in a hold I probably would not rely on it for long distance hiking. If you are concerned there is a wrapping service for backpacks at many airports that encase the bag in heavy duty wrap.