PDA

View Full Version : HMG Windrider/Southwest owners

Gray Bear
02-21-2015, 09:45
Question for the HMG owners out there, do you use/need a rain cover for your pack? I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on this pack (as soon as I decide to get the 40 or 55L) and I wondering if this pack is as dry as they say. I'll still put my bag in a drybag because I'm paranoid.

I'd like to hear what owners have to say, god or bad about these packs.

Thanks!

SteelCut
02-21-2015, 10:18
Windrider 3400 owner here ... No need for a rain cover. The fabric itself is 100% waterproof with a generous roll top and side seams factory taped. The only part that isn't waterproof is the side hydration port and possibly the seams on the very bottom of the pack. Unless you sit the pack in a puddle or dunk it in water the contents should not get wet.

However, for safety, I do use a plastic bag on the inside to doubly protect my sleeping bag and spare clothes. HMG does recommend such a back up system too, btw.

Frye
02-21-2015, 11:46
The Windrider is my main pack nowadays. I don't use a liner or pack cover of any sort. I do keep my quilt and tent in a cuben sack, but that's mainly out of habit as there really is no reason to do so.

Connie
02-21-2015, 11:53
I just got a HMG Black Summit.

I will look closely at the attachment of the shoulder straps for possible rainwater entry. That's it.

I will stuff with bags because I like pulling things out of my pack in their own sack. I will use cuben but I won't bother having the roll-top for additional protection.

mtntopper
02-21-2015, 13:05
Question for the HMG owners out there, do you use/need a rain cover for your pack? I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on this pack (as soon as I decide to get the 40 or 55L) and I wondering if this pack is as dry as they say. I'll still put my bag in a drybag because I'm paranoid.

I'd like to hear what owners have to say, god or bad about these packs.

Thanks!

These packs are NOT 100% waterproof as some folks claim. I have the wind river 2400. As you use the pack overtime the fibers will begin to loosen during normal use such as sitting your pack on the ground or shelter floor or by sliding your pack just a few inches from one point to another. However I don't use a cover. I do use a liner.
I have gotten some good use from my pack. Used it for many miles. I do like it, but I would not purchase another. I did have some trouble getting a good fit in the beginning. After some trial and errors I got it figured out. I still use it from time to time. If I am planning a trip with a lot of rain in the forecast I use a different pack.

Frye
02-21-2015, 13:52
These packs are NOT 100% waterproof as some folks claim. I have the wind river 2400. As you use the pack overtime the fibers will begin to loosen during normal use such as sitting your pack on the ground or shelter floor or by sliding your pack just a few inches from one point to another. However I don't use a cover. I do use a liner.
I have gotten some good use from my pack. Used it for many miles. I do like it, but I would not purchase another. I did have some trouble getting a good fit in the beginning. After some trial and errors I got it figured out. I still use it from time to time. If I am planning a trip with a lot of rain in the forecast I use a different pack.

How old is your pack? Prior to 2014 the seams weren't fully taped. My 14 model has a good amount of miles on it and no structural problems.

Also I'm not sure sliding your pack 'a few inches' caused enough stress to compromise its integrity. If sitting your pack on the ground caused the issue than perhaps you got a bad pack. I dunno, but it's the exact opposite experience from what I've had.

mtntopper
02-21-2015, 14:10
My pack is a prior 2014 model. I did have water get into my pack. It seeped in from the bottom from sitting my pack on wet surfaces. .
I haven't looked at any of the newer models. I like the pack and still use it from time to time.I do use a liner tho.
Sliding the pack will cause damage to the fabric at least it did mine. I try to take care of my equipment I am not very hard on it.

Frye
02-21-2015, 15:01
My pack is a prior 2014 model. I did have water get into my pack. It seeped in from the bottom from sitting my pack on wet surfaces. .
I haven't looked at any of the newer models. I like the pack and still use it from time to time.I do use a liner tho.
Sliding the pack will cause damage to the fabric at least it did mine. I try to take care of my equipment I am not very hard on it.

Yeah, the newer model is much improved in regards to how waterproof it is. Or so I'm told, I didn't own the previous model.

Connie
02-21-2015, 16:46
I got home and looked at my HMG. I don't see a potential problem.

That said, I want a LightHeart Gear Hoodie Pack Cover to act as a cape for my head and shoulders for the rain I expect on the PNT Pacific Northwest Trail. It also protects between your own back and the shoulder straps and back of the backpack.

SteelCut
02-22-2015, 19:49
Gray Bear, if you are going to pull the trigger on an HMG pack now is a good time. They are running a sale on cosmetic seconds: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=973647125981121

Gray Bear
02-22-2015, 19:59
I just saw that! I have an alarm set! thank you. now...40 or 55?

Frye
02-22-2015, 20:27
I've been wanting their mid for a minute now but must resist spending the cash. I despise sales sometimes.

I use the 2400. Whats your gear list like? Bulky, streamlined? UL or not?

Gray Bear
02-22-2015, 20:57
With the HMG 40L my big would weigh less than 7lbs.

Sirsnappy09
02-22-2015, 21:29
Awesome sales right now.

Gray Bear
02-23-2015, 08:35
Trigger pulled!!! New SW 40L on the way!

SteelCut
02-23-2015, 08:36
You did have your alarm set.

Connie
02-23-2015, 08:40
I don't see a time limit, there.

Gray Bear
02-23-2015, 09:10
the sale started at 7:30 By 7:35 I had purchased the only large SW 40L. The only flaw was a grommet for the drain on the side pocket was missing. with the $ saved I may be ordering that EE Revelation I have my eye on. My big 3 will be under 6lbs.

Connie
02-23-2015, 11:16
I would like to have a 40 L HMG Porter, in Black.

Gray Bear
02-25-2015, 17:41
My new 40L SW is here already! This thing looks pretty sweet. The 40 will be a little tight but its going to be nice to dump all the weight.

Frye
02-25-2015, 18:28
How do you like the solid pockets? I almost bought the sw but figured the mesh would be better for drying. (I don't bushwhack so figured it wasn't needed)

Gray Bear
02-25-2015, 18:54
they seem like they will be pretty durable.

Gray Bear
03-02-2015, 14:31
I got out for a little while on my snowshoes today and took my 2400 Southwest for a shakedown run. I was a little concerned with the hipbelt and shoulder straps at first just because there were thinner than what I'm used to but I gotta say I love the way it carries. It feels like a daypack. I'll have to wait for warmer weather to see how bad I sweat in it. The one thing I was a little bummed about was not being able to get my water bottle back in the pocket without taking the pack off. major bummer for me. I'm not crazy about bladders so I may have to buy something to hang on the straps or hipbelt.

Frye
03-02-2015, 17:46
Personally I prefer the back on HMG packs. I will hike shirtless sometimes and the mesh backed packs really tear me up. The cuben back of the HMG with the foam under just feels like heaven.

I also don't mind the bottle pockets, but I will camel up whenever I stop and not drink anything else for a while. I'm not a constant sipper.

and! the only reason I didn't cut the hydration pocket out is that its a great place to store stuff I don't wanna lose. (Cash, Credit Card, Secret documents of national interest)

jupiterkn
03-23-2015, 21:29
I have Windrider and see no issues at all, quality seems solid too. Got everything in it for s 4/16 start 27lbs with everything and food. But at this point still dialing in, hoping to shed another LB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk