PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag liners

CynJ
11-02-2005, 09:15
Any idea how many degrees a bag liner adds?

I'm thinking of getting the Campmor 20 degree bag but get a liner to supplement.

fiddlehead
11-02-2005, 10:05
I use a 100wt polartec microfleece liner that i am guessing adds 10 degrees of warmth to my 20 degree bag. I've already used it with that bag at 16,000 ft when it was well below freezing although i won't say i slept warm those nights. That liner allowed me to only own a single sleeping bag for years before i finally broke down and got a 0 degree bag for cold weather hiking.

Kerosene
11-02-2005, 10:17
I doubt that my silk liner adds more than 5 degrees to a bag. I use it more as a way to keep my bag cleaner and to keep the inevitable drafts from creeping in.

Crazy Legs
11-02-2005, 11:15
My Sea to Summit bag liner claims to add 10 degrees of warmth. I believe it!

Footslogger
11-02-2005, 12:00
I carried a Cocoon Silk liner when I began my thru in 2003. Kept getting tangled up and to be totally honest I never felt the added "x" degrees of warmth that was advertised. I sent it home and never missed it.

'Slogger

Patrick
11-02-2005, 12:27
A great place to buy silk liners (and jammies) is from Ben and Miranda at:

http://www.nznature.co.nz/mshop/spi//3_tpt

It's a New Zealand company and they're excellent. They sell them for $30, which INCLUDES shipping. I got one a couple years ago and it arrived like five days after I ordered it. 5 oz. and you can get it down to even less by cutting it to fit your mummy bag. Just turn it inside out, sew a diagonal line on each side, trim off the excess material, turn right side out, and you're good to go.

This site also has lots of cool wacky stuff like crank flashlights with phone chargers (someone converted one of these to power an iPod while on-trail) and possum fur nipple warmers.

Almost There
11-02-2005, 13:14
I have a Cool Max bag liner that I love. It adds about 8 degrees and feels great to slide into at the end of a long day. Although I did really buy it to keep my bag clean and dry.

The Will
11-02-2005, 20:26
A lot, of course, depends on whether we're talking about a fleece bag liner or Nylon, etc. Considering your counting on this liner to extend the range of your sleeping bag and provide you with a warm and comfy sleep, 10 degrees F would be the most that I would optimistically estimate for a fleece and only 5 degrees for a nylon liner.

If it is fairly cold (20 and lower) and you'll really be pushing the lower limits of your bags temperature range, than vapor barrier liners are effective ways to pump up the heat.

jackiebolen
11-02-2005, 21:49
I think a fleece one would add a decent amount of warmth but I have a feeling the silk ones would do very little.