PDA

View Full Version : Need some buying advice...

atraildreamer
02-21-2015, 18:06
I have been considering this Kindle:

Kindle Paperwhite,Paperwhite Display, High Resolution, High Contrast, Built-in Light, Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi + Free 3G. Touch Screen.

My question is: Can I upload pdf files to this device from my laptop? In addition to my regular Kindle selections (I now use Kindle for desktop computers at home) I have an extensive library of books in pdf format on my laptop that I would like to use with a Kindle. The description at Amazon says that this Kindle supports pdf format, but does not specify if they can be directly downloaded from sources other than Amazon.

Other than this one question, this unit seems to be a good deal at $119. Battery life seems to be around 28 hours on a full charge.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Hikes in Rain
02-21-2015, 18:38
I have one of those, and now love it dearly. Be sure to get a waterproof shockproof case for it. This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Redpepper-Paperwhite-Waterproof-Dirtproof-Shockproof/dp/B00JRP655I/ref=cm_cr-mr-title Mine is black; it seems to have defaulted to blue. Hmmm...

And yes, you can import PDF files, by connecting it to your PC with the power/USB cord. The computer sees it as another drive. I didn't have a lot of luck doing that; may have done something wrong. You can also have them delivered wirelessly by emailing them to your "personal documents" email address, which is assigned to you during setup with Amazon. Had better luck with that. Some are harder to read than others; don't know why. Some of them you need to enlarge each page, easily done with the touch screen, but gets to be a pain after awhile. I have an older Companion in PDF on mine, and it reads fine.

I now have over 300 books for mine. So far, only paid for one, and that was an accident. :) Thank you, Perry!

bemental
02-21-2015, 20:16
http://www.pelican.com/mobile/vault_tablet.html

The iPad Mini case fits a kindle with a little room to spare. My wife made me a little sleeve out of spare material she had to slide it in and add a bit more protection, but the cases come with a shockproof/scratch proof liner in them.

atraildreamer
02-22-2015, 13:47
Thanks for the responses! I'll be getting my Kindle soon! The waterproof, shockproof case(s) are a good idea.

atraildreamer
04-14-2015, 16:20
Thanks for the responses! I'll be getting my Kindle soon! The waterproof, shockproof case(s) are a good idea.

I ordered it from Amazon yesterday. Expecting delivery tomorrow, if the USPS doesn't mess up, again?

Laughed at the prices Amazon wanted for a wall charger and case for the Kindle. Went to EBay and got the accessories and saved $30!

Dochartaigh
04-14-2015, 19:38
I would also look into a program that formats PDF's into .mobi or kindle format (or whatever native kindle format). Reading a PDF on a kindle can be really hard, especially if it's formatted with a smaller font like you would normally use on a computer screen. I believe I used a program called Calibre on my mac - haven't tried the PC version of it.

atraildreamer
04-15-2015, 11:18
I would also look into a program that formats PDF's into .mobi or kindle format (or whatever native kindle format). Reading a PDF on a kindle can be really hard, especially if it's formatted with a smaller font like you would normally use on a computer screen. I believe I used a program called Calibre on my mac - haven't tried the PC version of it.

I have already done that. There are a lot of excellent free conversion apps to be found with an on-line search. I use Open Office 4.1.1 to convert Word files to pdf format all the time. Just avoid anything that has the word "torrent" associated with the download. I had some problems with viruses hitching a ride with the download.

Package is supposed to be out for delivery. The USPS package delivery service here is erratic, at best.

atraildreamer
04-15-2015, 17:00
...Package is supposed to be out for delivery. The USPS package delivery service here is erratic, at best.

Intercepted the mailman and got the Kindle. :banana He was about to leave one of those orange "unable to deliver" notices. Some of the carriers are clueless :confused: and don't want to bother buzzing our apartment when the package is too big for the mailbox.

Now charging up the Kindle and trying to get it to download my library. :-?

Bluegrass
04-15-2015, 17:20
I recommend looking at Calibre - http://calibre-ebook.com

It is an eBook management application. It can convert files, load directly onto the Kindle, or send the file to the Kindle via the email address.

I agree with other users - PDFs tend to look worse on a Kindle, and if possible I would convert them to .mobi or another Kindle-friendly format.

2000miler
04-15-2015, 17:50
I second the Calibre recommendation. I've been using it for 4 years now to first side load books onto my Nook, now onto my Kindle Paperwhite. It does a fantastic job of organizing and converting files as necessary before loading onto your device.

atraildreamer
05-08-2015, 13:01
The Kindle is a nice piece of technology. :o

I have an issue with Amazon, however. Watch out for the "Free" 30-day Amazon Prime membership that comes with the Kindle purchase. If you don't opt out before the end of the 30-day trial period at the Amazon site, you will be automatically hit for a full-year membership for $99 without your prior notification, or permission. :eek:

I checked my Amazon account today and saw that they were going to charge me. I immediately opted out of the membership. Checked with my bank and saw the $99 charge. :mad: They are supposed to refund it back, but it could take a few days. :-?

bemental
05-08-2015, 13:34
+1 Calibre; although sometimes it's easier to just re buy the book on the Kindle store then convert a PDF. Realize some of those PDFs are probably not available as Kindle books though.

-PDFs tend to be easier to read on iPad/tablet-like devices, or full-blown computers

-don't worry too much about getting locked into the kindle format when buying books; you can convert them from Amazon's format to an open format like ePub later if needed

-love my paper white. Just recently pulled it back off the shelf and have made some real progress through a few books. Definitely bringing it on my next thru attempt.

Lyle
05-08-2015, 14:04
Just email your PDF to your Kindle email account (set up when you register your Kindle). They will then format it into Kindle's format and send it to your Paperwhite the next time you sync.

I have the Paperwhite, great reader, but only so-so for graphics.

bemental
05-08-2015, 14:07
Just email your PDF to your Kindle email account (set up when you register your Kindle). They will then format it into Kindle's format and sent it to your Paperwhite the next time you sync.

I have the Paperwhite, great reader, but only so-so for graphics.

Yea, I was saying more that a lot of PDFs are either scans of images or text/image combos as you alluded to. No issues getting a PDF onto the device, just the experience of reading it might not be as good is all.

atraildreamer
05-10-2015, 13:04
The Kindle is a nice piece of technology. :o

I have an issue with Amazon, however. Watch out for the "Free" 30-day Amazon Prime membership that comes with the Kindle purchase. If you don't opt out before the end of the 30-day trial period at the Amazon site, you will be automatically hit for a full-year membership for $99 without your prior notification, or permission. :eek:

I checked my Amazon account today and saw that they were going to charge me. I immediately opted out of the membership. Checked with my bank and saw the $99 charge. :mad: They are supposed to refund it back, but it could take a few days. :-?

Got my $99 back the same day.

Amazon Prime membershipi is a good deal if you use Amazon a lot, but I'm more of an EBay shopper.

atraildreamer
12-10-2015, 12:24
I have been using the Kindle Paperwhite for a while, now. I love it!

How do you get it to download books from a Dropbox account? I put in the Kindle email link at Dropbox, and then have the Kindle scan for and download new files, but the Dropbox files do not show up. I haven't got a clue as to what I am doing wrong. :confused: Any suggestions?