PDA

View Full Version : Need info for Woody Gap to Hogpen

HangNhike
02-21-2015, 23:07
My original plans for my AT trip had to be cancelled so we have come up with a contingency. We are leaving March 8 to do Woody Gap to Hogpen Gap. It will be a very easy trip, over 3 days. Just looking to take our time. Itinerary is as follows:

Day 1 - Woody to Slaughter Creek
Day 2 - Slaughter Creek to Bulls Gap
Day 3 - Bull's Gap to Whitley Gap

We will be hammock camping except at Whitley.

I am looking to gather any info I can on this area. How is parking at either end? How is the weather this time of year? Any special concerns (no fires, bear can requirements, etc), Any problems with the trail? Anything to I should know about the campsites or shelters? Water looks to be plentiful along this route, any problem with freezing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Trailweaver
02-22-2015, 02:38
March weather is unpredictable and could be nasty. Parking at Woody Gap is plentiful and safe generally speaking. Water is plentiful, and shouldn't be frozen. There was a necessity to have a bear canister around Slaughter Gap/Blood Mountain, but I'm not sure what time of year that starts. Your best info would be calling the folks at Neal Gap - 706-745-6095. They can give you excellent advice on all matters in that area, as they are right in the middle of the trail. . . literally.

FatMan
02-22-2015, 11:14
The turnoff to Whitley Gap Shelter is very near Hogpen Gap and much closer to Hogpen Gap than the shelter is to the trail. It is about 1.5 miles down to the shelter. So I am not understanding the logic.

There are no fires allowed in the Blood Mtn Wilderness which is from Slaughter Creek to Neels Gap. Also, bear canisters are required for your stay at Slaughter Creek that time of year. Water is plentiful that time of year. Temps can range from the teens to the seventies. March is a crap shoot when it comes to weather up here.

Enjoy you hike.