PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new backpack?

tucker0104
02-22-2015, 08:44
I have hiked close to 750 miles in my Osprey Atmos. I love the backpack because the netting in the back keeps me sweat free. This backpack has always left me with really sore shoulders at the end of the day. I figured this was normal until I hiked with a friend that said his backpack never hurt him at all. Could it be the model of the backpack? Could it be that I have the wrong size?

mtntopper
02-22-2015, 08:57
Do you feel tension on your neck as well as your shoulders? Sometimes a pack that is sized too big will cause these problems. It tends to pull back away from your neck and shoulders. Maybe if you go to a qualified outfitter they can measure you and help with your fit. Make sure that whoever fits you knows what they are doing and are knowledgable of adjustments. If you are measured incorrectly and purchase a new pack it may fit badly and cause same problems. I went to several different outfitters and each to measure me and I discussed the adjustments with them. If you do some reach before you go you will be able to tell if the person that is helping you knows what they are doing.

Gray Bear
02-22-2015, 08:57
How much weight are you putting in your Atmos? I've never owned one myself but I've been shopping around myself and the Exos is on my short list.

SteelCut
02-22-2015, 09:14
It sounds like a sizing issue to me.

brancher
02-22-2015, 09:44
Do you feel tension on your neck as well as your shoulders? Sometimes a pack that is sized too big will cause these problems. It tends to pull back away from your neck and shoulders. Maybe if you go to a qualified outfitter they can measure you and help with your fit. Make sure that whoever fits you knows what they are doing and are knowledgable of adjustments. If you are measured incorrectly and purchase a new pack it may fit badly and cause same problems. I went to several different outfitters and each to measure me and I discussed the adjustments with them. If you do some reach before you go you will be able to tell if the person that is helping you knows what they are doing.
Ditto. What he said. The biggest problem with pack fitting at may stores, and especially with self-fitting, is that folks often buy a pack fitted for a longer torso than they need. Sometimes folks don't understand exactly where the hip belt should rest, other times they think the pack should tower over their heads. In both cases, optimal load carrying are not achieved.

LoneStranger
02-22-2015, 10:17
From my experience with other Osprey packs I'd look at the torso adjustment and how you are using the lifters. Even at max load you shouldn't be feeling it there. The straps are mostly there to keep the load in place so your hips can carry the load.

Havana
02-22-2015, 11:10
I've had Osprey packs for a few years and I've never had sore shoulders. It may be a sizing issue. It could also be that the hip belt isn't riding at you hip thus allowing the weight to slide down onto you shoulders.

mtntopper
02-22-2015, 13:33
If the fit is to big the pack would lower on the hips causing shoulder pain and in my case neck pain as well.

Feral Bill
02-22-2015, 14:11
Step 1, get the pack adjusted by an experienced pack fitter. It it still hurts go to
Step 2. shop for a new pack at a dealer with a large stock, qualified fitters, and a generous return policy. Repeat until happy.

daddytwosticks
02-22-2015, 16:21
I had an older model Atmos 50 from 2005. I also loved that pack but tended to have sore shoulders at the end of the day too. It was a long torso and no, I never overloaded that pack (maybe 25-27 pounds). Bought a new model Exos 46 long torso last spring. I love this pack! No sore shoulders. The padding on this pack works for me. Maybe you should try an Exos. :)

Walkintom
02-22-2015, 17:24
Definitely have someone refit you for the pack to make sure that it's the right size and that you're loading it properly.

If you have the right size pack and the soreness isn't due to loading badly, you might just not fit well into an Atmos. It happens. Everyone is built differently and some pack/body combos don't work as well as others.

If all else fails, before you dump the pack contact Osprey. They do back their products with their Almighty Guarantee and may be able to help you into a different model to alleviate the issue.

HogFan
02-23-2015, 10:37
I love my Atmos 50 and never have issues.

tucker0104
02-23-2015, 11:18
Thank your for the advice. I will take it somewhere and let them adjust it for me. If that doesn't work, contact Osprey to see if they will switch it out. I usually carry upper 20's to low 30's in it.

goldbug
02-25-2015, 15:58
I've got the same issues with my Viva. I've come home with collarbones rubbed raw before. :( Probably need to have it readjusted by a pro.