PDA

View Full Version : Wii it be crowded?

REB
02-22-2015, 11:27
I've always been skeptical about planning a 7 day section hike on the AT in fear of running into lots of hikers using the trail. I do enjoy speaking out some solitude at times. I have an opportunity to plan a section hike on March 30th and would like to start at springer. Will I run into crowds at this time? Or is this right into the kick off for thru hikers?

Just trying to avoid crowds.

Lone Wolf
02-22-2015, 11:33
I've always been skeptical about planning a 7 day section hike on the AT in fear of running into lots of hikers using the trail. I do enjoy speaking out some solitude at times. I have an opportunity to plan a section hike on March 30th and would like to start at springer. Will I run into crowds at this time? Or is this right into the kick off for thru hikers?

it will be extremely crowded then. don't plan on staying at ior near shelters

MuddyWaters
02-22-2015, 11:34

You will be able to spend your first night camping with and getting to know 50+ new friends, if that is what you are asking.
Yeah, thats about the peak. Not the time for avoiding crowds.

If you avoid shelters, you can camp by yourself, but you will run into lots of people all day.

Crowds taper off after a few weeks. Id honestly wait about 3-4 more weeks to get behind majority for Ga. Weather would be nicer too.

Coffee
02-22-2015, 11:35

Being in SC consider the Foothills trail if you haven't done it. I saw only two backpackers on the trail Feb 10-13. More likely in late March but nowhere near AT levels at Springer, I'm sure.

Rain Man
02-22-2015, 13:03
I have an opportunity to plan a section hike on March 30th and would like to start at springer. Will I run into crowds at this time? Or is this right into the kick off for thru hikers?

Absolutely. Of course, "crowds" is largely in the eye of the beholder. You could start on a weekday and avoid the majority, who start on weekends. You would also camp off the trail and away from shelters. If you're not dead-set on the AT, there are a whole bunch of good trails in the southeast you could do instead.

Whatever you decide, ... take what comes and enjoy!

Rain Man

full conditions
02-22-2015, 19:03
It's also worth mentioning that the Benton MacKaye Trail begins on Springer and you'll have about 1/100th of the crowds that you'd run into on the AT plus it's a really great trail.

Cosmo
02-23-2015, 22:00
check out this graphic of registered hikers at Springer, so far. Probably lots more that haven't / won't register, too.
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/images/default-source/facilities/nobo-thru-hikers-registered-as-of-2015-02-20.jpg?sfvrsn=0

Cosmo