PDA

View Full Version : What is your fitness regimen??

FlyFishNut
02-22-2015, 11:37
Staying fit for hikes or just being fit in general: I'm going to add some hiking specific exercise to my existing regimen. If anyone has some good workouts that are hiking specific, please share.

A typical week for me is:
2x - 3x per week - personal trainer at our small gym. 1hr of stations for 3 rounds. Weights, core and cardio (with an emphasis on specific body parts), ie tonight might be legs, or Bi/back or Chest/tri. We do tons of weighted lunges, box jumps and squats on leg day that help with hike readiness.

2x - trail running minimum of 5mi, max of 8mi and sometimes if I feel froggy 10mi on wooded trails (nothing paved). If it isn't wet, I will go to the USNWC and Mt bike 9mi-13mi in lieu of a trail run. Lots of great climbs that leave you feeling like you might puke.

Sporadically thrown in every couple weeks: Hike at Crowder's Mt with a weighted pack, or just 6-7mi easy hike at the ASC Greenway with the dog.

WHAT I WANT TO ADD: My gym has a stair machine. I think I will start either wearing my jihad looking weight vest or a weighted pack and doing long stints on this machine. I am also going to start doing more weighed "step ups" on a bench or high riser to simulate hiking up hill. Maybe add dead lifts?

Any ideas of some more exercises to add??

Shutterbug
02-22-2015, 11:46
Staying fit for hikes or just being fit in general: I'm going to add some hiking specific exercise to my existing regimen. If anyone has some good workouts that are hiking specific, please share.

2x - 3x per week - personal trainer at our small gym. 1hr of stations for 3 rounds. Weights, core and cardio (with an emphasis on specific body parts), ie tonight might be legs, or Bi/back or Chest/tri. We do tons of weighted lunges, box jumps and squats on leg day that help with hike readiness.

2x - trail running minimum of 5mi, max of 8mi and sometimes if I feel froggy 10mi on wooded trails (nothing paved). If it isn't wet, I will go to the USNWC and Mt bike 9mi-13mi in lieu of a trail run. Lots of great climbs that leave you feeling like you might puke.

Sporadically thrown in every couple weeks: Hike at Crowder's Mt with a weighted pack, or just 6-7mi easy hike at the ASC Greenway with the dog.

WHAT I WANT TO ADD: My gym has a stair machine. I think I will start either wearing my jihad looking weight vest or a weighted pack and doing long stints on this machine. I am also going to start doing more weighed "step ups" on a bench or high riser to simulate hiking up hill. Maybe add dead lifts?

I am on a fitness program prescribed by my cardiologist (I had bypass surgery 13 years ago).

1. I walk a minimum of 10,000 steps a day.
2. Three times a week I do FIIT -- 8 intervals. Each interval is 30 seconds of maximum exercise followed by 90 seconds of less intense exercise.
3. Following the FIIT, I do 30 minutes of weight training.

map man
02-22-2015, 11:49
You are already doing more than 98% of hikers. I think running (or walking with a load) downhill is even more important that uphill. It's the downhills that really put a strain on the muscles and joints in your legs while you are hiking -- the uphills really get your heart and lungs working but you are already doing plenty for that.

Myself, the thing I have found most helpful for hiking-prep over the years is running on hilly terrain.

FlyFishNut
02-22-2015, 11:59
I think running (or walking with a load) downhill is even more important that uphill. It's the downhills that really put a strain on the muscles and joints in your legs while you are hiking --

Good point. On that note, I registered for a Down Hill half marathon called "The Scream" held in Wilson Creek (Mortimer, NC). Did it a few years ago and it will make you sore.

MuddyWaters
02-22-2015, 12:03
I lift weights and run
Runnings boring, and my goal isnt to run marathons, so i only run a few miles at a time, at a faster pace which is taxing
I find thats all thats necessary

I personally think running, which imposes higher repetive stress loads on tendons and joints around knee, helps condition these to avoid common repetitive stress injury problems ....as long as you dont overdo it....

Slo-go'en
02-22-2015, 12:19
Shovel my driveway couple times a week!

Christoph
02-22-2015, 13:01
To get ready for my thru I'm using the treadmill 6 days a week, full incline at 3mph, running outside 3-5 miles a few times a week, and some gym time. Mostly legs and core work. This is more than I usually do due to my thru. Usually I just run on the treadmill when its cold out or run around the block for 3 miles maybe a few times a week.

Connie
02-22-2015, 13:06
I think running doesn't serve a backpacker well.

One time, in college, I was "out-of-shape" to the extent I experienced having to get "second wind" on the approach from the end of the dirt road to Mt. Ruth, in the North Cascades, WA.

I decided to run-walk for endurance. First, the measured cinder track at the college: alternating 1/4 track run, 1/4 track walk. I felt better, so I did the run-walk the cross-country route. Then, it was more convenient for me to run-walk to South Bellingham for Sunday brunch. Then, I thought I am getting lazy, so I extended my run-walk from South Bellingham to the airport North of Bellingham and back. That seemed better: the track, cross-country track team route, to Brunch, then to the airport and back. I felt almost "fit".

I need mountains to feel really healthy.

It is much easier to get into the mountains often. I do that.

I haven't been getting out much, lately.

I was driving past the Civic Center "fitness center" and I thought maybe I should get a membership. Instead, I will walk more in town, parking as far away from my destination as possible, and, I will gas up the car and get out into the mountains more.

More walking. More mountain air.

jimmyjam
02-22-2015, 14:22
I walk for 30 minutes everyday during lunch, every other day when I get home I do 30 minutes on a bowflex and then 20 to 30 minutes on an eliptical or treadmill, 35 situps, 25 push ups. On the other days I do 30 on the eliptical, and 30-45 minutes on the treadmill, and then a series of leg excercises with and without rubber bands to strengthen my knees. Weekends I either ride my bike 10 to 15 miles a day or I do a day hike. And I still can't lose a pound. All the exercise just makes my appetite bigger.

CarlZ993
02-22-2015, 14:34
Two times a week, weight training at the gym. Total body workout. One set to failure. Add in some situps (50 normally; 30 if I'm feeling lazy) & some back extensions. With a 10 minute warmup on the treadmill, I'm usually done in 30 min or so.

Five times a week, I run (Tu, We, Th, Sa, & Su). Tue = running drills w/ run group. Sun = long run (now 10M). The other days = 3 M or so. Occasional race from time to time.

I try to backpack some on a regular basis - sometimes w/ my Boy Scout Venture Crew, sometimes w/ some buddies; sometimes solo. If I'm planning a very strenuous hike (AT, JMT, CT, etc), I'll add some practice hikes (usually once a week) with a pack to help w/ conditioning & some valuable pack time.

For sports related specificity, nothing conditions you better for backpacking than backpacking. But, have a good cardio & strength base goes a long way.

Nodust
02-22-2015, 15:01
2-4 miles per day walking. More than half with my backpack loaded to maybe 15-20#.

Just Bill
02-22-2015, 15:11
These days- chase kids and 12 ounce curls mainly
:)

tiptoe
02-22-2015, 15:11
Every other day, more or less, I walk 5 miles with my dog at a local state park. About twice a week, I swim 1/4 mile and use the weight machines. And shovel snow about twice a week, too. It's all fairly moderate, and it keeps me functioning.

Carbo
02-22-2015, 15:15
With all this snow about all I do outside is shovel off a log, sit down and eat my pop tarts and oat meal.

Seriously, inside it's an hour on the treadmill at 5, 10, then 15% incline 3x per week, light weights in between. Recently had a stress test where they got my hr up to the max (for my age) of 150 bpm and I survived, so I guess this regimen is good to get me started for a thru in May. Planning on leaving Harpers Ferry heading north. Good luck to all! The pre-training should help.

AO2134
02-22-2015, 15:16
I just bought a 40 lb vest. On day hikes, I will take the 40 lb vest with me and see how I do. Eventually, I'd like to see how I'd do with the pack and the vest (hopefully the vest won't damage the pack).

I've been stuck at 18-20 mpd for a while. I am tired of being there. Time to change that. I think a 65 lb vest and pack combo may just do it.

I also work out every day in the week with weightlifting and cardio, but no workout can prepare you for hiking. I have learned that much.

Pedaling Fool
02-22-2015, 16:39

Your plan sounds pretty good, it includes a lot of weights which is a good thing; too many people have a faulty misconception of working out with weights. I think the other thing is to always be setting goals, to keep it interesting. Things like the iron cross (in gymnastics) and going beyond a pullup by lifting the body all the way up over the bar... or the rings, like here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKcnpJSAsbo

And then you got your foundation, like in here http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/10-strength-building-strategies

Also when cardio training it's good to mix it up, not get in a fixed set of exercises. Things like speed work, not just easy running and other things to go beyond simple cardio work. The AT is great for building an aerobic cardio base, but you are not truly in shape until you can extend both your aerobic and anaerobic threshold. The more you work it the harder it is to go from aerobic to anaerobic.

Tipi Walter
02-22-2015, 17:15
I used to do training hikes up hills with a "training pack" filled with books and fire logs to 70 lbs, but stopped due to What's The Pointitis??

Now sometimes I do minimal jogging around the house---hate road jogging, bad on the body and don't want to be seen by fat American rolling couch potatoes.

98% of my current exercise comes from actually going out on backpacking trips. I typically lose 5 or 6 lbs on each long trip, and as some AT thruhiker once said, "At this rate I'll weigh 25 lbs by the time I get to Maine." I think it was the guy who wrote "Then The Hail Came" etc.

When I get back from being out for 15 or 20 days, I clean all my gear and sit at home thumbing the remote, my most arduous exercise, and plan intricate meals. My chewing muscles are highly developed. In tandem and related, my field squatting-to-defecate muscles are also highly toned. Sometimes to avoid at-home henpecking I can sprint very fast for very short distances---far enough to save myself---and these bursts seem to help.

Often Little Mitten's henpecking beak is worn to a nub after I'm home for 2 weeks but then I go out for 3 weeks and the beak has grown back so I get a fresh new dose of open sores from fast pecking.

Feral Bill
02-22-2015, 18:38
I bike to and from work (hilly), and walk a lot as part of my job.

Walkintom
02-22-2015, 18:40
I walk a bit. I eat healthy foods. Lots of fresh veggies, as little processing as I can easily get in foods, and take a couple of pills daily - garlic, ginger and a multivitamin.

It's more what I don't do that keeps me in decent shape - no binge eating, not much drinking, and no shirking from physical work.

"You ever see a lion stretch before it takes down a gazelle?" ~ Tallahassee

brancher
02-22-2015, 19:52
Weights and walking - not real heavy weights, just to make sure I can still lift. My big thing is my cycling - I do about 125-150 miles per week on my bike weather permitting, including fitness runs and cycling club runs. I just got back from a FL bicycle tour, quads are made of iron now.......

woodguy
02-22-2015, 19:56
I walk/ bike around town everyday..I also eat a lot of those little chocolate donuts...:)

Ktaadn
02-23-2015, 10:39
I do a little CrossFit at home, I walk on my lunchbreak, hike in the local state park on weekends. As a hike is approaching, I'll increase the distance of the hikes and the weight of my pack.

As far as specific exercises, I think walking lunges are the best thing for hiker specific muscles. Throw in some push ups, pull ups, sit ups, and squats for general fitness. Full range of motion on everything!

Coffee
02-23-2015, 10:55
All I do for training is running and it has served me well when preparing for my hiking trips. I typically run 30-35 miles per week when not training for any particular race and I'll go up to 50-55 miles per week during training cycles. Although running is not going to exercise the same muscle groups as hiking, it does provide significant cardiovascular conditioning. As a result, I am very rarely winded while hiking except on the most strenuous climbs and I can hike for many hours per day. Typically I have found that I experience some muscle soreness over the first several days of a backpacking trip but this goes away after a while. I am sure that I could achieve better results if I added some weight training to my running but I don't really have time to do that and do not see it as critical. I am sure that the day is coming when running is going to impose unacceptable strain on my joints (I am 41) and I will probably switch to cycling at that point for cardiovascular conditioning. However, I am sure that I will have to supplement cycling with some type of exercise to build up the joints as well since running does stress the joints which riding a bike doesn't to the same degree.

Connie
02-23-2015, 11:26
I do a little CrossFit at home, I walk on my lunchbreak, hike in the local state park on weekends. As a hike is approaching, I'll increase the distance of the hikes and the weight of my pack.

As far as specific exercises, I think walking lunges are the best thing for hiker specific muscles. Throw in some push ups, pull ups, sit ups, and squats for general fitness. Full range of motion on everything!
I was specifically told not to do deep knee bends: partial knee bends, okay.

This was not for an injured knee. It was advice for hiking in the mountains.

It was advice for mountainclimbers, actually, because we had long hikes in the mountains to get to the mountain. We all had heavier packs, then. Not one of use developed knee problems as we aged.

Ktaadn
02-23-2015, 12:01
I was specifically told not to do deep knee bends: partial knee bends, okay.

This was not for an injured knee. It was advice for hiking in the mountains.

It was advice for mountainclimbers, actually, because we had long hikes in the mountains to get to the mountain. We all had heavier packs, then. Not one of use developed knee problems as we aged.

Always full range of motion.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/04/how-much-rom-do-you-need-really/

http://www.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/1145/Dont_Be_Afraid_To_Squat_Low_Seven_Reasons_to_Squat .aspx

Connie
02-23-2015, 12:46
Neither one of those links refers to our activity.

Have you any experience with a credentialled physical trainer for a specific sport?

Even in the United States Army we had a credentialled physical trainer: no deep knee bends, fast squat thrusts only, and, all the usual stuff.

Everyone passed, even the shortest recruit, even the most overweight recruit.

I have one brother who achieved men's over 50 world champion singles tennis player. He had both knees replaced later on. He is tall. Instead of running the court, he stretched to reach a shot: hyperextension of the knees. He never got "tennis elbow". He had specific training for exercize, before and after, for the elbow.

Physical training for exceptional performance has recommended specifics.

Thru-hikers and long distance hiking is exceptional performance.

joec
02-23-2015, 14:02
I took a work out machine buddy of mine on his first trip several years ago. I was planning of being embarrassed by him leaving me in his dust, but at the end of the first day (12 miles mostly up) he went straight into his tent and did not speak. The 2nd day was 9 miles up and down and he went into his tent at 4 and did not come out. He was whipped, and I had moved along either with him or ahead. I am not a work out nut but do some training to get ready for a hike. I think it is just as much being ready mentally, and being in decent shape than over training to get ready. Nothing can prepare for the ups on a hot day with a backpack on.

Seatbelt
02-23-2015, 14:39
I think running doesn't serve a backpacker well.

Since I started trail-running I can tell a big difference in my backpacking. It has really helped my hiking performance and ability to climb and continue for a full day without being totally exhausted. Just my experience.

hikernutcasey
02-23-2015, 14:43
Good grief where do you people find so much time to do all this exercising?

If I can get to the gym a couple times a week for a quick 30 minute aerobic workout I am happy. Also, through in a walk in our local state park every other weekend or so but that's about it. I find if I can just manage that when I go on a trip I am "fit" enough to enjoy my hike.

As someone else said, a lot of backpacking is mental. Once you have a few hundred miles under your belt and you know what to expect it seems to make things easier.

Coffee
02-23-2015, 14:56
My running typically consumes just an hour or less four days per week plus a long run on Saturdays anywhere from 1-3 hours.

Meriadoc
02-23-2015, 15:03
I walk the wooded trails behind my house.
I ski the wooded trails behind my house.
I hike mountains frequently - try for one per week.
I walk into town instead of driving.
I bike into town instead of driving.
I do yoga.
I work to keep core muscles activated all throughout my day - using muscles instead of bones.

Connie
02-23-2015, 15:27
Since I started trail-running I can tell a big difference in my backpacking. It has really helped my hiking performance and ability to climb and continue for a full day without being totally exhausted. Just my experience.
My brother was like you. He is tall and slim.

Is that your build, also?

Coffee
02-23-2015, 15:29
I should have also mentioned that I don't have a car for daily driving. I live in a city and walk everywhere. I probably walk at least 10 miles per week around town without really making a point to do so.

Seatbelt
02-23-2015, 15:34
My brother was like you. He is tall and slim.

Is that your build, also?

I guess--6'2" and not so slim anymore, large frame. When you said "was" does that mean he is no longer with us or is now a different "shape"?

Connie
02-23-2015, 15:48
He was "string bean" slim as a young man.

In his 80's he has a more natural appearance, not fat at all. He looks well-proportioned.

"was" refers to the fact he liked cross-country running.

He would rather run in the mountains than walk.

In fact, he struggled up a high mountain pass.

Hiking in mountains doesn't "suit" him at all.

I have four brothers, all very athletic.

runt13
02-23-2015, 15:52
TREADMILL, max incline, 3 to 3.5 mph, 45 min to an HR a day, 3 to 5 days a week.

RUNT ''13''

Seatbelt
02-23-2015, 16:01
He was "string bean" slim as a young man.

In his 80's he has a more natural appearance, not fat at all. He looks well-proportioned.

"was" refers to the fact he liked cross-country running.

He would rather run in the mountains than walk.

In fact, he struggled up a high mountain pass.

Hiking in mountains doesn't "suit" him at all.

I have four brothers, all very athletic.

Impressive! I hope to still be out there in the mountains at 80 as well. Thanks for the reply!

Rolex
02-23-2015, 16:36
Younger, I would run a mile in the morning for every beer I had drank the night before. (hanging out with a group of Hash House Harriers one winter nearly killed me!)

This year, All I have did is 12 ounce curls all winter, BUT... I did grab my Catalyst and walk to the Canadian beer store and hump a case of 28 bottles back home the other day in it. That should count. The look on the other patrons faces as I broke the box down and carefully placed/stacked the bottles inside the pack out front was priceless!

My job involves climbing 300 ft 3-4 times a week though so I rationalize it with that.

tiptoe
02-23-2015, 17:14
Good grief where do you people find so much time to do all this exercising?

It helps to be retired. Or very, very motivated. I am the former.

perrymk
02-23-2015, 17:27
I typically exercise about an hour per day. I stretch, including physical therapy type stretches, lift weights in my garage, and walk 2 miles per day with a light (around 10% of bodyweight) pack. Weights are usually some variation of a 20-rep squat routine. Sometimes I lift everyday, sometimes 2 times per week, currently I am lifting 3 times per week. I work full time but no family so that helps find the time. Finally I hike almost every weekend in a local, or not so local, park. Aim for 8-12 miles on a Saturday morning. Hike Sunday if nothing else planned and housework is caught up.

PilotB
02-23-2015, 20:48
Crossfit class 3x a week. Full range of motion.

kayak karl
02-23-2015, 20:58
i exercise on WB by running at the mouth, stretching the truth and jumping to conclusions ;)

Praha4
02-23-2015, 21:38
flyfish: I have a relative who does occasional training hikes at Crowder Mtn park.... where in SC do you live? he's near Charlotte. just curious.

Otherwise, your workout routine looks great to me, you're doing more than 90% of hikers at home. I have a 23 story beach condo just 0.25 miles from my house, there's an enclosed concrete staircase at each end of the building, and the tourists prefer the elevators, so I have it all to myself. So I do staircase repeats with a weighted pack...year round. The condo Maintenance Dept manager knows me and gave me a wristband that I use to get past security. Security is tight over there during spring break. anyways, it's usually an hour up n' down, sometimes an hour and a half. The reward is the fantastic beach view at the top floor. (I'm not talking about the bikinis, although that's not bad either) Best to do this just before sunsets..... On hot, humid summer days, that staircase is like hiking in a sauna.... I've lost 4-5 pounds some days. Like another said, it's the downhills that get you in the mountains. Keep it up, you're doing great.

QUOTE=FlyFishNut;1948672]Staying fit for hikes or just being fit in general: I'm going to add some hiking specific exercise to my existing regimen. If anyone has some good workouts that are hiking specific, please share.

Any ideas of some more exercises to add??[/QUOTE]

rjjones
02-23-2015, 22:04
Kettlebells and daily hikes.Plus,thanks to DelQ,yoga!.I believe he said "its a win,win".He was right.Great for my back and lots to look at.Thanks Del.

Another Kevin
02-23-2015, 22:20
For me, the most important training is that I walk to work, with a daypack loaded down with books and heavy computer gear. (I can go out for a summer weekend with less weight than I lug to work.) It's about a 20-25 minute walk for me each way, with a little bit of elevation change (<300 feet, but every little bit helps.) The key point is that I do it every single day, rain or shine, hot or cold, even wearing facemask and goggles in a -40 windchill. I never seem to get on trail enough to find my "trail legs", but at least the first incline doesn't kill me.

FlyFishNut
02-24-2015, 03:39
flyfish: I have a relative who does occasional training hikes at Crowder Mtn park.... where in SC do you live? he's near Charlotte. just curious.

[/QUOTE]

The hike up the condo stairwell sounds fun (not really, but effective!).

I'm in Fort Mill - just across the state line and the ASC Greenway is 5 min from my door, which is nice.

rhjanes
02-24-2015, 11:24
I walk. Our town has walking trails. On a weekend day, I go do 8.5 miles in 2.25 hours on a forest trail. 4 days a week now, I go to the gym around 8 PM. I do 20 minutes (80 to 85 flights) of stairs on the StairMaster. I often do 30 minutes on the elliptical (on like the "variable" setting). I use the weight machines also, maybe 20 to 30 minutes worth. I do NOT sit on the machines! I get on that stairmaster and do my 20 minutes...I get off, wipe it down, move to a weight machine, adjust, lift/push/whatever 20 reps, move to next machine. I see SO many people, they SIT on the machine, looking at their phones. Then adjust the machine. Then sit. Then lift 5 times. Then look at the phone. Then lift 5 more...sit....move to next machine and repeat. Meanwhile, I've done FOUR machines....so an 1.5 hours a day to make up for my sedentary job.
And I've noticed that after joining the gym, my forest walk times are speeding up.

Pedaling Fool
02-24-2015, 12:56
Always full range of motion.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/04/how-much-rom-do-you-need-really/

http://www.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/1145/Dont_Be_Afraid_To_Squat_Low_Seven_Reasons_to_Squat .aspx
I agree, you always want to work towards full range of motion, it's best to prevent injuries in the real world, because there will be times, such as falling...where you will be using full range of motion.

If a full squat hurts, then don't do it, but don't avoid it, work up to it. Much of the pain comes from the connective tissue, due to compression issues, which is different than tension issues. This video explains it really well https://vimeo.com/118162021

Connective tissues are very tough, but if they are not worked thru full range of motion they are the ones that are usually first to be injured and those injuries take the longest to heal -- sometimes years...

Ktaadn
02-24-2015, 13:41
When in doubt, find a toddler. They have full range of motion, because they don't sit in chairs.

http://manbicep.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/perfect-squat.jpg

Poedog
02-24-2015, 15:22
Lots of beer and ice cream.

ATAdam
02-24-2015, 15:28
Stuff my face with the best beer, whiskey and food I can find from across the nation for the past 6 years since my last Thru Hike. Work out sometimes, and go Thru Hike again this year.

Best diet and exercise ever.

230 Back to 180 by the summer! Done!!

zepphead80
02-25-2015, 02:45
I ride my bike to work and do a little bit of running. Lifting at gym three to four times per week. For quads: leg press (hip sled), hack squat and barbell squat (which is also a great all around exercise); deadlifts are awesome too but I stopped them. For core/abs: planks, leg lifts and incline crunches. For upper body: dips, decline bench press, barbell curls, shrugs and iso-lateral bench press. Good yoga stretches are cobra and down dog.

When you do anything that's free weights like barbell squats or deadlift, be careful not to hurt your back. One way to do that is to fully engage your abs on the up part of the exercise.

Lefty

English Stu
02-25-2015, 07:23
What is FIIT?

egilbe
02-25-2015, 08:53
What is FIIT?
I read it as HIIT, High Intensity Interval Training, but maybe FIIT is something different?

fudgefoot
02-25-2015, 13:39
I run year-round 3-4X/week. Trails as much as possible but more roads in the winter. Also hit the gym a couple times a week.

In the Spring and Fall I generally run at least one orienteering race most weekends. There aren't many sports better suited to backpacking training than orienteering - from both an overall fitness and navigational skill perspective.

goldbug
02-25-2015, 15:39
Great thread guys, I was looking for ideas on this! Nice to see the convo already going. :)

The Solemates
02-25-2015, 16:36
When in doubt, find a toddler. They have full range of motion, because they don't sit in chairs.

they also have increased anteversion that allows for this easier ROM, which is the real reason

Ktaadn
02-25-2015, 17:05
they also have increased anteversion that allows for this easier ROM, which is the real reason

You are joking, right? About 10% of children have a femoral anteversion, yet all todlers have a full ROM squat.

What is your excuse for the billions of people living in the third world that squat all day long? Again, because they don't use chairs.

2000miler
08-11-2015, 12:39
Bumping this thread - Any thru-hikers from this year have any specific recommendations on how they got fit for the trail? What was useful / not useful once you hit the trail?

I've heard nothing really prepares for you for 6 months in the woods - you really just need to get out there and hike! That being said, I'm focusing on getting full mobility back in my legs after a hip / IT band injury and neglecting to get it fixed for 9 months.

Ktaadn earlier posted a link to MobilityWod - For whatever it's worth, the daily exercises and practices in the two books by Kelly Starrett (who started MobilityWod) and the MWod website have made an immense improvement in how I move through the world, and I'm seeing the results on my practice hikes - stronger legs, full range of motion, no pain in my knees or hip for the first time in a few years.

The Solemates
08-11-2015, 13:50
You are joking, right? About 10% of children have a femoral anteversion, yet all todlers have a full ROM squat.

What is your excuse for the billions of people living in the third world that squat all day long? Again, because they don't use chairs.

no I'm not joking. I'm in orthopedics. 100% of children have femoral anteversion (30-40 degrees at birth) and this decreases as they age to the average of 9-12 degrees in adults. perhaps you should get your facts straight before calling someone out.

Heliotrope
08-11-2015, 20:44
You are already doing more than 98% of hikers. I think running (or walking with a load) downhill is even more important that uphill. It's the downhills that really put a strain on the muscles and joints in your legs while you are hiking -- the uphills really get your heart and lungs working but you are already doing plenty for that.

Myself, the thing I have found most helpful for hiking-prep over the years is running on hilly terrain.

I agree with the downhill emphasis. I like to do weighted step downs in addition to walking lunges, squats, etc. plus hiking on hilly terrain with pack.

Pedaling Fool
08-12-2015, 06:40
Bumping this thread - Any thru-hikers from this year have any specific recommendations on how they got fit for the trail? What was useful / not useful once you hit the trail?

I've heard nothing really prepares for you for 6 months in the woods - you really just need to get out there and hike! That being said, I'm focusing on getting full mobility back in my legs after a hip / IT band injury and neglecting to get it fixed for 9 months.

Ktaadn earlier posted a link to MobilityWod - For whatever it's worth, the daily exercises and practices in the two books by Kelly Starrett (who started MobilityWod) and the MWod website have made an immense improvement in how I move through the world, and I'm seeing the results on my practice hikes - stronger legs, full range of motion, no pain in my knees or hip for the first time in a few years.
Weight training. The number one issue you hear about on the trail is sore body parts, especially knees. Toughen up your musculoskeletal system thru weight training and plyometric exercises.

Definitely don't do anything that doesn't stress your skeletal system, such as swimming and don't worry about simple cardio, since the limited cardio gained on the trail is easy to build up during a hike, but building up the musculoskeletal system not so easy to do during a hike.

Gambit McCrae
08-12-2015, 08:08
First of all the point for me in prepping, for a vacation trip/ peak hiking seasons of my choice, is to make it enjoyable thru and thru. Nobody likes the feeling of climbing to be a burden, you can say you do, but that just doesn't make sense lol. Last year I did 110 miles in 7-8 days in NoVa. I have been hiking the AT every weekend and road walking with a pack 5-8 miles a day and not once on that entire trip did I have a real ars kicked feeling. So now that I am going to New England for the first time(Mass), I have been training for 3 weeks now. I do 5-8 miles a day with a 40 pound pack rain or shine. I would like to do wall sits but don't have the back for it. I also try and hit a difficult local trail once a week

LittleRock
08-12-2015, 08:30
Basically what Gambit said: Throw on a 40-50 lb. pack and chug through a 10k on local trails in 2 hrs. or less. Do this a couple times the week before your trip to get your leg muscles used to it.

Very cool on the toddler thing - mine does that all the time. Perfect form for squatting in the woods! :-)