PDA

View Full Version : Don't go SOBO! Important!

Poedog
02-22-2015, 15:52
For the love of god, to all of you potential NOBOs, don't change your mind and decide to go SOBO. I completed my SOBO thru in November, and I can't stress enough how important it is that you continue with your northern plans. Let me explain why.

I started in Maine mid June. By the time I got to Neels Gap in November, I didn't need a thing. I spent the night in the hostel (because they have an awesome shower and VHS tapes), woke up the next morning, and walked the 32 miles to Springer. It will take you 3-4 days to get here, and it's imperative that you stop here to send home your hatchet, your extra boots, two of your three Nalgene bottles, and maybe that portable speaker that everyone loves to hear you play in the shelters everynight. Mountain Crossings needs you to stop and do a gear shakedown, because you really do need all that awesome new gear they have. Yours sucks. Plus you might want to stay at the hostel since there will be dozens upon dozens of other people doing exactly the same thing as you, so you might have to wait for your turn. Did I mention that Bill Bryson went Northbound? He's so cool, what an awesome thru hiker. If you go SOBO, you won't have a chance to realize that your gear sucks because you'll be stuck in the HMW until Monson, too busy hiking and getting strong to spend 1/4 of your budget right away.

Hiking with others is just plain cool. There is no reason to seek solitude and quiet, it's the AT man! Safety in numbers, safety in numbers. You will wake up everyday in a crowd, walk all day in a crowd, and fight for shelter or tent spaces as the sun goes down. It's like being at a festival, but not really and someone is sure to have one of those little portable speakers that everyone loves to listen to! It's all about the people, ya know? Cliques will form, you will find yours, and soon you'll have a happy little hiking family group that you'll follow everywhere. You'll all go to town at every road crossing for burgers, pizza and beer, even though you really don't want to. The only time you'll be alone is when you're in the privy, and that's really not like being alone because five other people have already pooped that morning, warming the seat and reminding you that just outside that door is a line of people who need to evacuate their bowels too. If you were walking south, you'd get bored because there aren't as many people and you'd have to listen to the birds chirping, the wind through the trees, the sound of hunters preparing for deer season in the valleys below you. Plus southbounders don't carry those little portable speakers that people love to hear played every night with your music. Losers!

Two words: Trail Magic! You and your hiking family bubble cult will be amazed at the love and support you will get. Gone are the days of having to carry all your grub, if you plan it right you could live off hiker feeds and coolers full of soda and little cakes in between town stops. You'll save a lot of money this way, which is a good thing because you spent so much at Neels Gap and all. You might even resort to stealing from hostels and stores because there are so many northbounders, nobody will ever suspect it was YOU who didn't leave a donation, or that is was YOU who took food and didn't pay for it on the honor system. SOBO's don't get all of this love because everyone is so burned out from the NOBO's, I mean, the hiking season is over and southbounders are stupid anyways. Miss Janet doesn't REALLY need gas money, does she? I mean, with so many shuttles everybody else probably gave her money, right?

When, and if, you get up to the Whites and southern Maine, you'll be really tired of hiking but it won't matter because you're so close you can almost taste it! Some people say that from the Whites up to Katahdin is the most beautiful, and most difficult part of the entire trail. Well it won't be for you because you're over it at this point, and you'll be ignoring the great views and just focusing on slackpacking as much as possible. Plus you'll probably be passing the SOBO bubble at this point and there so stupid because they're going the wrong way. And they'll probably be super stoked on this section because they're fresh and haven't been hiking with thousands of others the entire time, but don't let this get you down because you've almost hike the entire AT and in a month you'll be back home trying to adapt to "real" life again. Those southbound losers still have 4-5 months of walking to do, regardless if they've gotten the hard part over first. As you pass them, be sure to tell them how hard the Whites were and to watch out for bears in NJ and be sure to play your music really loud on your little portable speakers as you walk down the trail so everyone can hear how awesome your playlist has gotten since you left Georgia. Headphones are for doofuses.

And of course, the main reason to go North is so you can get that really cool shot at the top of Katahdin. I mean, sure the SOBO's start here and get cool pics too, because there isn't a mob waiting in line for their turn and all, but you've got such a gnarly beard and you're so skinny and oh man you made it and you got the pic to prove it! Who wants to finish at dinky old Springer mountain anyways, booooring! You should definitely plan the direction you hike based on how cool your finish photo will look on Facebook. Hmm, "I just walked to Katahdin" or "I just walked to Springer"...duh, Katahdin! Also, you should belittle as many southbounders along the way as you can, because since they didn't go north, they did it wrong. Show superiority and don't listen to their advice about Maine, because what do they know they just started?

I hope this has convinced all of you who plan to head north soon to STICK WITH YOUR PLANS!!! SOBO's are a strange and introverted bunch, who decided to walk south just because they think it's "cool" and "different", and they want a "unique experience" and it's more "challenging", plus they probably did it just to spite you. So as you pass those weak and feable southbounders of 2015, turn down your little portable speaker thingy and say "You're going the wrong way!", laugh, and hustle on up to Katahdin for that really awesome summit photo you just walked six months for.

Sarcasm the elf
02-22-2015, 16:08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlMwc1c0HRQ&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlMwc1c0HRQ&sns=em

daddytwosticks
02-22-2015, 16:12
So you think northbound is better? :)

Lone Wolf
02-22-2015, 16:12
i did 4 NOBO hikes and 1 SOBO. likeed SOBO the best. i encourage all to go SOBO

Poedog
02-22-2015, 16:20

Thank you LW for your consistently straight-shooting responses. Now go back and read my post. I'm sure you'll relate.

Lone Wolf
02-22-2015, 16:23
Thank you LW for your consistently straight-shooting responses. Now go back and read my post. I'm sure you'll relate.

too long.....

Poedog
02-22-2015, 16:26
too long.....
You've thru hiked the AT 5 times and you can't take 3 minutes to read a post that if anybody could relate to, it would be you? You might even laugh a little.

Lone Wolf
02-22-2015, 16:28
OK. finished reading. i get ya now :)

Kaptain Kangaroo
02-22-2015, 16:29
He's right !!!....Don't go SOBO !......... some SOBO hikers are pompous, know-it-alls who think they are better/harder/cooler than others just because of the direction they hiked....... you would hate to run into people like that!

Poedog
02-22-2015, 16:36
He's right !!!....Don't go SOBO !......... some SOBO hikers are pompous, know-it-alls who think they are better/harder/cooler than others just because of the direction they hiked....... you would hate to run into people like that!
So very true.

soilman
02-22-2015, 17:48
Another important point, the Shenandoah River flows north for the aquablazers who don't want to flip flop.

Sirsnappy09
02-22-2015, 17:56
Awesome post. I did my thru north but somehow miss d all of that awesomeness you speak of. Maybe becaause I did it in little over 4 months and the folks that started when I did took about 6. They indeed told me about how much missed out on by going "too fast and Alone most of the time". What was I thinking. I can say that when done I wished I would have gone Sino. Nice post Poe

Sirsnappy09
02-22-2015, 18:01
Sorry in case anyone wondered Sino=sobo on a cell

Praha4
02-22-2015, 18:06
great post by Poedog, had me laughing..... I think he has a talent for writing that could rival "JustBill" !

Starchild
02-22-2015, 18:43
HYOH

'nuff said

:)

July
02-22-2015, 18:48
Hah! Good post Poedog, espec liked the reference to the "hiking family bubble cult" true lmao....

Uriah
02-22-2015, 19:23
LOVE it! Of course we mustn't mention that a SOBO AT hike is still much more crowded than a CDT NOBO. On the CDT a "clique" is considered anything more numerous than one person. Then there's the insanity of the Hayduke "Trail," where almost all conversations occur alone.

Still, the greatest insanity is the craziness near Springer Mountain in a month or so. But I'd take it over not being on a long trail.

Lone Wolf
02-22-2015, 19:26
Still, the greatest insanity is the craziness near Springer Mountain in a month or so. But I'd take it over not being on a long trail.

i will be there on march 21st to photograph the insanity

woodguy
02-22-2015, 19:59
So, the point is, just say "no" to NOBO .

WingedMonkey
02-22-2015, 21:07

The difference is that you have experienced both and therefor know the difference.

I read a lot of assumptions in the OP.

rickb
02-22-2015, 21:32
I read a lot of assumptions in the OP.

Some, perhaps.

But like all Sobos, he saw far more nobos than the nobos did. Nobos on the trail, anyhow.

That part of going Sobo sucks, but what can you do?

jimyjam
02-22-2015, 22:21
To me hiking long distance is much of a personal experience as anything. I hope to meet many people of all walks of life. The disrespectful behavior expressed in sarcasm is just that behavior. And behavior does not discriminate on much anything less direction! If everyone observed respect for all others there would be less problems! I hope to not experience the intolerance of others on any level! Peace to all

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

Sarcasm the elf
02-22-2015, 22:30
Whatever you do, just make sure that all y'all thru hike it in a done-in-one season fashion. You should leave either from Springer on April 1st or Katahdin in Early to Mid June. It is absolutely imperative that you stick to you're respective bubbles in order to leave the trail virtually empty for the 6 months of the year that I prefer to hike. :D;)

Donde
02-22-2015, 22:39
GAME 2010

In recovery since MEGA 2013

On my SOBO I really enjoyed meeting NOBOs in VT who warned me about PA and said "you don't know what its like man"

Going SOBO I saw a lot more "Trail Magic" and a lot less hiker feeds, if you know what I mean.

squeezebox
02-22-2015, 22:57
Jimmy jam if you are flipping out from Harpers Ferry that means we will be going Nobo AND Sobo. I wonder what Poedog thinks of us? Maybe we are not real hikers since we are not starting at one end and finishing at the other?

Cookerhiker
02-23-2015, 07:24
...On my SOBO I really enjoyed meeting NOBOs in VT who warned me about PA and said "you don't know what its like man"

That's a good one!:sun

Magic_Mack
02-23-2015, 08:24
As a section hiker I go both ways, does that count? :)

Starchild
02-23-2015, 08:43
GAME 2010

Going SOBO I saw a lot more "Trail Magic" and a lot less hiker feeds, if you know what I mean.

This is a interesting statement, which seems to make sense, more kindness given on a personal level, less organized efforts to help the hikers.

Boo8meR
02-23-2015, 09:36
Well shoot. I kinda had life throw me a curve ball and I'm really considering doing a thru-hike this year. Time will only allow me to go NOBO because I can't wait until June to start. Guess I'm doomed to be a douchebag.

SteelCut
02-23-2015, 10:24
As a section hiker I go both ways, does that count? :)

I'm doing a flip-flop thru hike this year. I guess that means I go both ways too.

This is great thread, btw :)

brancher
02-23-2015, 10:38
.... a really great thread and op post! I've been hiking forever, but my first thru is coming up (now retired). I know a lot has changed - las big section I even had to contend with some narcissistic soul who thought everyone should hear his cell conversations...... Okay, steer clear of that...... But I haven't banked on having to listen to 6 months of Dub-Step and cellophane Neo Airs - heck, I still use aluminum cookware Gawd Forbid...

What's an aging hippie to do, what to do?

RED-DOG
02-23-2015, 10:53
I think it's up to the individual on which way to go, if you want solitude go SOBO if you want to party go NOBO.

Demeter
02-23-2015, 11:15
Lol. Guess I need to give up on my SOBO dream hike since the NOBO's have it so much better :)

dangerdave
02-23-2015, 11:29
Superb writing, Poedog! The OP has captured all the reasons I'm doing a Flip Flop starting in May at Harpers Ferry. Seems to be a decent number this year choosing to do so.

We're hitting Katahdin in the middle of our thru! Weird!

Grampie
02-23-2015, 12:06
How could someone, Poedog, know so much agout a NOBO hike if he did not experience it? Sure, there are a lot of NOBO hikers who leave Springer in March and early April but if you wait until mid April, like I did, the bubble is far ahead of you. I left Springer on April 18 and it was not crowded at all. I think most of Poedog's post comes from a lot of "hear say." You know, the story's that folks start telling after they abort their thru-hike attempt for some rreason or other.
Neels Gap, Mountains Crossing, provides a service in a ideal place. It takes advantage of all the hikers who leave Springer unprepaired for a thru-hike.
During my thru-hike I fliped from Duncannon. Left Katahden on July 22. I guess I was able to experience both a NOBO hike and a SOBO hike. If I was to thru-hike again I would still go NOBO.

Slo-go'en
02-23-2015, 12:14
The thing is, a SOBO hike is a lot harder then a NOBO hike for a number of reasons. Where 20% or more complete a NOBO, only 10% or less complete a SOBO.

Donde
02-23-2015, 12:26
The thing is, a SOBO hike is a lot harder then a NOBO hike for a number of reasons. Where 20% or more complete a NOBO, only 10% or less complete a SOBO.

Oh right I forgot its supposed to be easy.

ATAdam
02-23-2015, 12:35
Damn, here I am planning my NOBO for march. Did a SOBO in 09 - and it's very true. Alone the whole way, night hiked maybe 60% of the trail. Camped on all the mountains off tail and alone in the woods to draw and read. It was terrible. I guess this is one situation where not showing often will get you kicked out of a clique..

Poedog
02-23-2015, 14:25
Damn, here I am planning my NOBO for march. Did a SOBO in 09 - and it's very true. Alone the whole way, night hiked maybe 60% of the trail. Camped on all the mountains off tail and alone in the woods to draw and read. It was terrible. I guess this is one situation where not showing often will get you kicked out of a clique..

I'm so sorry for your experience. My condolances.

Poedog
02-23-2015, 14:33
How could someone, Poedog, know so much agout a NOBO hike if he did not experience it?

... like all Sobos, he saw far more nobos than the nobos did. Nobos on the trail, anyhow.

This. And because I grew up in an AT trail town.

Seatbelt
02-23-2015, 15:24
That part about Bill Bryson being a thru-hiker----too funny!! That's enough to make me want to do it different. LOL

Donde
02-24-2015, 04:01
That part about Bill Bryson being a thru-hiker----too funny!! That's enough to make me want to do it different. LOL

Dude you didn't know? Got a movie and everything legit just like the PCT's most famous THru-Hiker Cheryl Straid

rickb
02-24-2015, 07:33

While I would agree that while certain aspects of hiking a SOBO might be more a bit more difficult, I would suggest there are other aspects of going SOBO that actually make completing a thru hike easier.

I know that is counter intuitive when you consider the greater physical difficulties of a Sobo over the first days and weeks-- but like everyone says, a thru hike is much more mental than physical.

One thing is sure in my mind. A SOBO has a great opportunity build tremendous confidence very early on, all while experiencing some of the greatest natural beauty of the trail from day one. That is a powerful combination.

In any evet, the ATC's numbers suggest similar completion rates whichever way you walk-- which are recorded on their website here:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about-the-trail/2000-milers

In 2013 the completion rate for Nobos was 26% and for Sobos it was 28%.

Lone Wolf
02-24-2015, 10:26
I would suggest there are other aspects of going SOBO that actually make completing a thru hike easier.

I know that is counter intuitive when you consider the greater physical difficulties of a Sobo over the first days and weeks-- but like everyone says, a thru hike is much more mental than physical.

One thing is sure in my mind. A SOBO has a great opportunity build tremendous confidence very early on, all while experiencing some of the greatest natural beauty of the trail from day one. That is a powerful combination.

you're right. a SOBO isn't bombarded every other day by so-called trail angels and trail magic, hostels/motels and cell service that enables calls to shuttle services when the goin' gets a little rough. SOBO is the way to go to really get the feel for the AT

ny breakfast
02-24-2015, 11:39
there are hardships and rewards for nobos, sobos, flipers, sectioners, you never know when there going to come. hardship could be terrible weather or terrible people etc. rewards could be wonderful weather and wonderful people etc. you really never know when you hit the trail what your going to walk into. i'll play the odds that a day on trail is better then a day off trail most of the time

squeezebox
02-24-2015, 11:47
I'm thinking of being the 1st person to do a east to west thru AT thru hike.

Coffee
02-24-2015, 11:50
About the only negative I can think of for going SOBO is the shorter days toward the end of the thru hike and possibly hiking into winter. Other than that, it seems clear to me that it is the way to go.

sureaboutthis
02-24-2015, 12:20
"There is no reason to seek solitude and quiet"

Except when there is. That's what some people want. It's okay that that's what they want. There's no reason to disrespect what they want. Do your own thing and have fun.

SOBO is awesome. Don't listen to this guy.

Malto
02-24-2015, 13:55
"There is no reason to seek solitude and quiet"

Except when there is. That's what some people want. It's okay that that's what they want. There's no reason to disrespect what they want. Do your own thing and have fun.

SOBO is awesome. Don't listen to this guy.

please pay attention........ Go back and reread his post VERY carefully. Don't just react to a title.

Lone Wolf
02-24-2015, 13:58
Go back and reread his post VERY carefully. Don't just react to a title.

like i did :)

AO2134
02-24-2015, 14:06
Lol, I love the reaction.

First off, you shouldn't hike the AT SOBO. I agree. You also shouldn't hike the AT NOBO. Just leave it alone. There are nasty ticks with diseases. Do you want to get AIDS from a tick? I don't. Also, there are bears. Do you want to be molested and then killed by a bear? Snakes? Deadly. They like to sneak into your tent and shelter at night, but only after they have bitten you.

Last but not least, the people. Dear god, the people! The worst group of deviants. They should be all imprisoned and castrated immediately.

A modest proposal to improve the AT.

Sarcasm the elf
02-24-2015, 14:10
I'm thinking of being the 1st person to do a east to west thru AT thru hike. You could even get a Tshirt!

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/03/18/00/slideshow_1001835811_TRAVEL_UST-LAZYTRAIL_1_DE.JPG
http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/03/18/00/slideshow_1001835811_TRAVEL_UST-LAZYTRAIL_1_DE.JPG

Wülfgang
02-24-2015, 16:56
Great satire. You may have just single-handedly convinced to go SOBO!!

NY HIKER 50
02-24-2015, 17:18
I'm on to him. He is trying to make sure the hike sb is quiet for himself and to keep the start of the trail NB as crowded as possible. GOTCHA!

Deadeye
02-24-2015, 17:39
I'm thinking of being the 1st person to do a east to west thru AT thru hike.

OK, you beat me to it, but I say the heck with y'all, I'm going West Bound.. WEBO

Lone Wolf
02-24-2015, 17:45
Crazy Larry has over 100 EB/WB hikes

NY HIKER 50
02-24-2015, 17:46
OK, you beat me to it, but I say the heck with y'all, I'm going West Bound.. WEBO

I'm going diagonal. Don't steal my idea now. I'm going to copyright it.

squeezebox
02-24-2015, 18:12
With enough whiskey diagonal might be possible.

NY HIKER 50
02-24-2015, 18:14
With enough whiskey diagonal might be possible.

Hmmm, now that's an idea...

RockDoc
02-24-2015, 19:55
I think people hike NOBO just so they won't have to face the Priest from the North, at the end of a long, hot day.

CalebJ
02-24-2015, 22:04
Other than taking a long time, the Priest isn't really that bad. It's just a consistent grade for five miles with no great scenery. Push hard and you can easily knock it out in 90 minutes. Once you're on top, the views are pretty solid.

wdanner
02-26-2015, 10:49
Is it really a common NOBO experience for people to encounter others with little speakers playing their music out loud? I'm kinda dumbfounded at this if it is.

Lone Wolf
02-26-2015, 11:51
Is it really a common NOBO experience for people to encounter others with little speakers playing their music out loud? I'm kinda dumbfounded at this if it is.

sure is....

wdanner
02-26-2015, 12:14
sure is....

I don't understand. Why? Just to look cool?

Lone Wolf
02-26-2015, 12:22
it's the 20 somethings. not comfortable just walkin' through the woods without noise i guess

clayzoo
02-26-2015, 12:24
I understand that there is more connections and magic hiking north, but hiking south for me is the only possible way to do it with the school system. But now I just dont know

fernbeetle
02-26-2015, 17:44
I have only done nobo so far. Trying yo-yo starting Sunday. Never told a sobo they were going the wrong way. Never told a slackpacker they were wrong. Never judged another hiker. I hiked my hike they hiked theirs. I can see and did see how others just opened their mouths and pissed people off. The bubbles with gearheada are the worst.

bamboo bob
02-26-2015, 17:57
Gotta say I've done both ways (nobo 2x), enjoyed both ways, but having done NOBO first I got lonely going south. In the olden days 2000.2002. I guess there were fewer people.

SkraM
02-26-2015, 19:45
Poedog, Thanks for the laugh!

Joie Joey
02-26-2015, 20:42
I wanted to go SOBO anyways lol, glad I made that decision[emoji173]️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mic
02-26-2015, 20:48
Being from NH I went SOBO. Cause white mountains aren't a challenge they were my practice hikes. SOBO IS AWESOME until you get past Harpers Ferry. Then yeah people are worn out from NOBO's the insane trail magic you hear of is not there, and your like whhyyy am i still in virginia. And then your like oh i have to buy toilet paper now cause there are no leaves on the trees. and your hiking at night cause its dark. and then it's cold. (which is only because you don't see any snakes) and then there is like 4 feet of snow and Hurricane Sandy and you're at the foot of the smokey mountains like Whaat!?