PDA

View Full Version : New to backpacking and needing advice!

PA00
02-22-2015, 23:57
As the title says, I'm new to backpacking, in fact, although I've day hiked many, many trails on the west coast, I have never backpacked, so have a few questions for those more experienced then I, particularly about bear bagging and the specific section of the AT I want to hike.

I'm planning to take advantage of some time off in early June to backpack from Damascus, VA to either I-81 near Atkins, or to I-77 near Bland. It appears as if some of that stretch may be sparsely treed, and I was wondering if there are significant stretches where there may not be suitable trees for hanging a bear bag? If so, what do you do?

As an aside, is it worth saving the weight and hanging a bear bag rather then carrying a canister? I hate to add the weight of one, but it sounds as if hanging a bear bag is a PIA, and maybe that may make the weight penalty almost worth it... advice?

Second question... would the first week in June be long enough after trail days in Damascus (May 15-17) for those who attended to have moved on or would I still find a bit of a crowd?

Finally... for warmth that time of year, would a very light weight down jacket and a rain jacket be sufficient or should I pack a fleece too? What's the usual June weather in that area?

Thanks for your input!

illabelle
02-23-2015, 06:53
Welcome to WhiteBlaze PA00! Stick around and you'll learn a lot, maybe make a friend or two. :)
Except for some stretches in New Hampshire and Maine, the AT has plenty of trees. Yes, there are some bald mountains here and there,, including in Grayson Highlands Park just north of Damascus, but even those have trees close by.
Almost no one carries a bear canister. The black bears of the eastern US are timid and shy, and except for those who have learned to associate food with hikers, they usually hurry away when they see humans.
A lot of people hang their food, but if it's not done well and the wild creatures get into it, it teaches them to associate food with hikers. So if you choose to hang, please do it properly.
Those who don't hang their food sleep with it. The thinking is that if a bear isn't going to stop me on the trail and take my food, why would he come into my tent and take my food? My presence is the deterrent.
The Trail Days celebrants should have cleared out by early June. There will still be plenty of people about, but not an overload.
You will probably be fine with just the rain jacket and the fleece, but check the forecast before you head this way and adjust accordingly. These eastern mountains are a lot different from what you're used to. Enjoy your hike!

yerbyray
02-23-2015, 13:18
North of Damascus a few miles is the Grayson Highlands State Park in the Mt Rogers area. It gives off the appearance of being "treeless" but there are places to hang. I have never bear bagged there but you might pony bag. The wild ponies there are like pick pockets and hang around begging for a handout.
It is beautiful area but it can be crowded with local hikers and horse riders.

FlyPaper
02-23-2015, 14:14
We hiked that whole section and never hung our food outside. We hung food in the shelter to keep mice from getting it. I don't think bears are too much of a problem in that area.

hikernutcasey
02-23-2015, 14:35
I was wondering if there are significant stretches where there may not be suitable trees for hanging a bear bag? If so, what do you do? Nope, plenty of places to hang a food bag. As others have said even in Grayson Highlands you can find a tree.

As an aside, is it worth saving the weight and hanging a bear bag rather then carrying a canister? Yes. No need for a cannister.

Second question... would the first week in June be long enough after trail days in Damascus (May 15-17) for those who attended to have moved on or would I still find a bit of a crowd? Most of the trail days folks should be gone but you will still encounter a few thru hikers that time of year. I encountered some that ended up finishing the same time of year last year even further south around Roan Mtn.

Finally... for warmth that time of year, would a very light weight down jacket and a rain jacket be sufficient or should I pack a fleece too? What's the usual June weather in that area? You should be OK with no fleece if you have the down jacket. For summer hikes I usually just bring one or the other but not both.

Namtrag
02-23-2015, 16:23
I have been to Grayson Highlands for 4 or 5 backpacking trips and have never seen bear signs at all. One year a while back there was supposedly one harassing people at the Wise Shelter, but the guy who let us in at the gate said "they took care of him."

PA00
02-23-2015, 21:34
Thank you all for the replies... it sounds as if I'm worrying about nothing with the bear bagging.
As for my trail days/crowding question... I don't mind meeting a few hikers from along the way, just don't want to feel like I'm in line at Disneyland... sounds like it will be fine!
My down jacket weighs 12 oz, and is lighter then my fleece, so if I'm good with that and a rain jacket I'm happy to save the weight.
Thanks again!

Hangfire
02-27-2015, 20:06
When you reach Atkins don't forget to stop into the big red barn for a meal or two!!!!