PDA

View Full Version : Early May NC advice needed in trip planning

Namtrag
02-23-2015, 14:14
I already got a great idea for my group trip in July from you guys, and we are doing the section from Erwin to Mountain Harbor Hostel for that.

I now turn to my anniversary. We want to go somewhere in NC as we have not hiked in the mountains out there ever. My anniversary trip will be the first weekend in May. We want to do something where we can arrive Friday around midday, then do a circuit where we camp for two nights and finish up Sunday. We then were going to try to go to an Inn somewhere and spend Sunday night celebrating, eating and recovering, and drive back home Monday.

I saw a trip in Hot Springs which is a loop using the AT and then another trail goes back to Hot Springs, and it looks like a nice trip, except we are worried it will be inundated by through hikers at that time.

We have also contemplated just going to Linville area and car camping and do a few day hikes, but would prefer to backpack.

If anyone has some ideas for any 2 day and 2 night loops, or has any input on the Hot Springs area, I would be grateful!

Mobius
02-23-2015, 14:47
A section of the Foothills Trail might work well for this, though it would require a shuttle/ride. I was there late May 2014 with a group and though we passed a few folks, we had our campsite of choice to ourselves each night. Something like Oconee to Whitewater Falsl or Whitewater Falls to Table Rock could be quite nice.

illabelle
02-23-2015, 15:06
It's 230 trail miles from the Smokies to Damascus. Excellent chance that this section of trail will be loaded with thru-hikers in early May. A few options - the first two puts you among the thru crowd, but you can choose to embrace it. Maybe you'll talk with someone who's keeping a trail journal, and you can follow them all the way to Katahdin:
1. You could stick with your Hot Springs plan. If you're doing a loop, the non-AT portion of that loop will be empty.
2. Max Patch is in the section just north of the Smokies, and it's really a neat place. You can drive to within a half-mile of the mountain if that helps you logistically.
3. There's a bunch of AT miles in NC south of the Smokies. You might consider doing the 30-mile stretch from Fontana to the NOC.
4. With all acreage in national forest in NC, you're not limited to a choice of car camping or AT backpacking. I'm sure you can find backpacking options besides the AT.

Namtrag
02-23-2015, 15:15
A section of the Foothills Trail might work well for this, though it would require a shuttle/ride. I was there late May 2014 with a group and though we passed a few folks, we had our campsite of choice to ourselves each night. Something like Oconee to Whitewater Falsl or Whitewater Falls to Table Rock could be quite nice.

I will take a look at that! It's been on my list to through hike, but section hiking would be fun as well.

Namtrag
02-23-2015, 15:18
It's 230 trail miles from the Smokies to Damascus. Excellent chance that this section of trail will be loaded with thru-hikers in early May. A few options - the first two puts you among the thru crowd, but you can choose to embrace it. Maybe you'll talk with someone who's keeping a trail journal, and you can follow them all the way to Katahdin:
1. You could stick with your Hot Springs plan. If you're doing a loop, the non-AT portion of that loop will be empty.
2. Max Patch is in the section just north of the Smokies, and it's really a neat place. You can drive to within a half-mile of the mountain if that helps you logistically.
3. There's a bunch of AT miles in NC south of the Smokies. You might consider doing the 30-mile stretch from Fontana to the NOC.
4. With all acreage in national forest in NC, you're not limited to a choice of car camping or AT backpacking. I'm sure you can find backpacking options besides the AT.

The drive to SW NC is about 8 hours from here, but if it's a great hike, it still might be worth it!

I like the Max Patch idea...maybe park in Hot Springs and get a shuttle and hike back to the car. I think it's about 20 miles or so as I recall.

Also was looking at a Nat Geo map, and saw an area called Brown Mountain with lots of trails, but I found no trip reports when I googled it.

saltysack
02-23-2015, 15:55
Always the standing Indian loop on the AT outside Franklin NC....great 24 mile loop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigcranky
02-23-2015, 16:15
+1 on the Standing Indian Loop.

Have you hiked at Mt Rogers in Virginia? That's pretty awesome. You could get dropped off at VA 603 and hike the AT ~40 miles southbound to Damascus in 2 nights then spend the third night at The Lazy Fox Inn. (For a shorter hike take the Pine Mountain trail cutoff -- has better views too.) I'll PM you the details if you want.

Namtrag
02-23-2015, 16:34
Hey Ken! Yeah, we have done Mt Rogers quite a few times, the first time was on our first anniversary, and you pm'd me a great secret campsite north of Wise Shelter.

This will be our first or second weekend of backpacking in 2015 (I am a CPA so I get zero exercise from 1/1-4/15 every year), so we are going to do a very low mileage hike for sure. Maybe 20 tops!

saltysack
02-23-2015, 16:38
+1 on the Standing Indian Loop.

Have you hiked at Mt Rogers in Virginia? That's pretty awesome. You could get dropped off at VA 603 and hike the AT ~40 miles southbound to Damascus in 2 nights then spend the third night at The Lazy Fox Inn. (For a shorter hike take the Pine Mountain trail cutoff -- has better views too.) I'll PM you the details if you want.

603 sobo to Damascus is my favorite section....

LittleRock
02-23-2015, 17:02

I wouldn't even bother with the first 20 miles north of Damascus. Start at VA 603, hike the good part through Grayson Highlands, and get picked up at US 58/Summit Cut Gap. If you have extra time, you can rent a bike and spend an afternoon on the Virginia Creeper Trail, which parallels the AT route north of Damascus and is much nicer IMO.

Alleghanian Orogeny
02-23-2015, 17:25
I saw a trip in Hot Springs which is a loop using the AT and then another trail goes back to Hot Springs, and it looks like a nice trip, except we are worried it will be inundated by through hikers at that time.

We have also contemplated just going to Linville area and car camping and do a few day hikes, but would prefer to backpack.

Howdy "neighbor",

Good to see you working up the big annual trip, and now working on an anniversary trip! You'll have a full hiking calendar for 2015!

I can't say I know anything about non-AT trails in the Hot Springs area, but I can say my wife, age 59 in a couple of weeks, LOVES Hot Springs. You could do much worse than using Hot Springs as your base camp for day-hikes instead of Linville. You can still camp at the riverside campground on the edge of town, have access to the restaurants and bars in town, and have daily access to the hot springs tubs themselves. When we spend a weekend there, we're generally out and about all day, and by early afternoon all my wife can talk about is getting back in time for our hot spring tub reservation. In the event you haven't been there or don't know about the setup, the natural waters are piped into about a dozen privacy-screened, clothing-optional jacuzzi-style tubs. About half of them are along the river, the others are along Springs Creek right where it enters the river. There are overhead heat elements for cool/cold days or nights, and overhead misting tubes for hot weather. You can bring your own beverages of choice and sunset is a great time to relax with a couple or three of them in some 100 degree water for an hour or so. On your last day, you can venture the 45 minutes to an hour down to Asheville for your evening of finer dining and more upscale overnight accomodations.

AO

bigcranky
02-23-2015, 17:50
Hey Ken! Yeah, we have done Mt Rogers quite a few times, the first time was on our first anniversary, and you pm'd me a great secret campsite north of Wise Shelter.

This will be our first or second weekend of backpacking in 2015 (I am a CPA so I get zero exercise from 1/1-4/15 every year), so we are going to do a very low mileage hike for sure. Maybe 20 tops!

Oh, yeah!

OK, then I will +1 on the Standing Indian loop though it might be kind of a long drive for you at ~8 hours. That said, checking Google Maps it looks like any hike in the NC mountains will be at least 7 hours from your home. Standing Indian is a great 24 mile loop using the AT, Long Branch, and Kimsey Creek trails. Not sure about an inn or B&B but there should be some in the Franklin area.

Namtrag
02-23-2015, 18:10
Mt Rogers is doable, but I have gone out there in May three times, the first was on my 1st anniversary. We suffered through horizontal, driving rain and sleet on Friday May 3, 2013 into Saturday. Another time, my meetup group went and tried to do that trip Big Cranky talked about above, and it rained every single day. One of our friends on the trip with us said it was better to go in the fall up there, as it is always wet in the spring! lol

Looking back, I think I have hiked that loop that starts at the AT Connector Trail and comes back around through Rhododendron Gap about 6-7 times since I started backpacking 3 years ago. It's a great trip for sure, but not thinking I want to do it again in early May.

AO, the particular loop I am speaking of is pretty short. You take the AT NB out of Hot Springs, up to Rich Mountain, then go back south to Hot Springs on the Roundtop Ridge Trail...it's only 13 miles, but maybe that's ok...it's our anniversary!

Car camping there might be fun as well, we could do some good day hikes and enjoy the springs!

Namtrag
02-23-2015, 18:13
Oh, yeah!

OK, then I will +1 on the Standing Indian loop though it might be kind of a long drive for you at ~8 hours. That said, checking Google Maps it looks like any hike in the NC mountains will be at least 7 hours from your home. Standing Indian is a great 24 mile loop using the AT, Long Branch, and Kimsey Creek trails. Not sure about an inn or B&B but there should be some in the Franklin area.

I will google map some of the destinations and see what the driving time difference is. I have always wanted to do the Standing Indian Loop.

You guys have so much to try down there that I want to start including trips there in my itinerary each year. I am getting tired of going to Dolly Sods, Mt Rogers and Cole Mountain/Mt Pleasant all the time!

I do want to thru hike the Foothills Trail too. So many hikes, so little time! lol

Namtrag
02-23-2015, 18:28
Standing Indian Campground is 503 miles from my front door.

The Hot Springs Resort is 455

Blowing Rock is 369

Joyce Kilmer Slickrock Wilderness is 555 eek!

saltysack
02-23-2015, 18:39
Standing Indian Campground is 503 miles from my front door.

The Hot Springs Resort is 455

Blowing Rock is 369

Joyce Kilmer Slickrock Wilderness is 555 eek!

It's lil over 450 miles for me.....done many times..its a great 2-3 day hike...worth the travel time!

bigcranky
02-23-2015, 21:45
You guys have so much to try down there that I want to start including trips there in my itinerary each year. I am getting tired of going to Dolly Sods, Mt Rogers and Cole Mountain/Mt Pleasant all the time!

We lived in Richmond for about ten years, and Cold (or Cole) Mountain and Mt Pleasant were our go-to day and overnight hikes. Good memories -- the Cold Mtn loop was our daughter's first overnight when she was 4. I remember being up on top there on Mother's Day (mid-May) and getting heavy sleet and snow one time.

Have you done the Ramsey's Draft loop? Is that still even a thing? It's been 20 years....

Alleghanian Orogeny
02-24-2015, 07:22
AO, the particular loop I am speaking of is pretty short. You take the AT NB out of Hot Springs, up to Rich Mountain, then go back south to Hot Springs on the Roundtop Ridge Trail...it's only 13 miles, but maybe that's ok...it's our anniversary!

Car camping there might be fun as well, we could do some good day hikes and enjoy the springs!

Namtrag,

At least as far as the overnight camping goes, Hot Springs is well under 2,000' elevation, so you may enjoy something of a break from bad weather up high.

Last Fall, we "black blazed" the trail up to Rich Mtn (drove the diesel pick up truck up there), and there are nice views from the tower.

Be aware of the hiking and soaking available in the vicinity of Warm Springs, VA. The NF campground at Hidden Valley is very nice and remote, lots of hiking along the Jackson River and adjacent Allegheney ridges, and the Jefferson Pools are only 5 miles from the CG.

AO

Alleghanian Orogeny
02-24-2015, 09:51
Forgot to mention the Nature Conservancy has a many thousand acre tract generally on top of Warm Springs Mountain just east of the village of Warm Springs. Their tract has some nice ridgetop hiking trails in addition to the various trails on Nat Forest land around and near Hidden Valley. There are also trails at Doughtat SP not far east of Warm Springs. There is a little restaurant/inn in Warm Springs (The Inn at Gristmill Square). The Omni hotel/resort The Homestead is 5 miles south of there in the town of Hot Springs, and that's a high luxe anniversary spot if there ever was one.

Also right there at Hidden Valley is an antebellum mansion now in business as a B&B. It's "Warwickton" and their on the Interwebs at hiddenvalleybedandbreakfast.com. Website looks pretty cool, and it definitely fills the bill if remote is one of the desired parameters.

In August 2014, passing through from a wedding in the WV Panhandle, we overnighted one night at the NF CG there at Hidden Valley. It's in woods right on the edge of large open hayfields along the Jackson River bottomland. A series of riverside trails offer 10-12 miles of hiking (or more?) right from the CG. Fresh water and vault toilets only, so it's rated "primitive". We placed it high on the list of a spot to use as a base camp for a hiking, cycling, trout fishing, soaking, and entertaining our grandson vacation.

AO

jonrocmtn
02-25-2015, 00:55
My wife and I were AT Trail Maintainers with NHC in the Nantahalas for over ten years, primarily the segment north of Standing Indian, Winding Stair Gap to Siler Bald Shelter. Indeed there are many wonderful trails in the Standing Indian Wilderness Area; however, I would like to share an idea out of the box.

3.8 mile Art Loeb Trail Section 4 from the Boy Scout Camp Daniel Boone to Cold Mountain Trail US Forrest Service 141 at Deep Gap, 1.4 miles to summit and 1.4 miles return to Deep Gap for camping. There is only one piped water source and it is on USFS 141. Second day hike out on Art Loeb Trail Section 3 to paved FSR 816, 6.8 miles. This is a 13.4 mile hike. Don't let that fool you.

The first mile of Art Loeb Section 4 is brutal, the second mile is level. The second mile is without doubt the most beautiful and varied example of vegetation I have ever seen. You do not want to leave but after taking an hour or so you must move on. A mountain stream crossing is refreshing.

USFS 141 trail to the 6,030 foot summit of Cold Mountain. You will want to spend some time their enjoying the views from a spur trail. Return to Deep Gap for camping.

Hiking out the next day on the 6.8 mile Section 3 takes you through the Shinning Rocks, huge quartz boulder field that can be seen from the Blue Ridge Parkway several miles away, and over the ridge of Tennant and Black Balsam Mountains, both over 6,000 feet.

Second night camping at the Pisgah Inn about 10 miles down the Parkway. You can camp at the campground or reserve a room at the Inn. Rooms are very clean but austere. Local TV channels only and only pay phones outside when we were there.Some rooms have fireplaces for that chilly evening. All rooms have rear balcony's looking out over the Davidson River Valley and the beautiful rock monoliths, Looking Glass, Jon Rock and Cedar Mountains. The restaurant has glass exposure to the Valley. Occupants have the privilege of reserving tables along that wall.

Parking at Daniel Boone is reasonably secure. You would have to arrange a shuttle from the end of your hike to the Inn. That should not be a problem since Inn employees live in a dorm at the Inn and I am sure you could prearrange with one of them to shuttle you to the Inn and back to your car the next day.

If you desire some more hiking, Buck Springs Trail extends for U. S. 276 to the back of the end. Again, you would need a shuttle to the trail head for the return hike.

This unusual hike is so worth it for the anniversary!

http://campdanielboone.org/
http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/shining_rock_wilderness.htm

http://www.romanticasheville.com/art_loeb_trail.htm
http://www.pisgahinn.com/

illabelle
02-25-2015, 05:18
Sounds like a winner! One clarification: the suggested trail is near Asheville NC, not near Standing Indian, in case that wasn't clear.

My wife and I were AT Trail Maintainers with NHC in the Nantahalas for over ten years, primarily the segment north of Standing Indian, Winding Stair Gap to Siler Bald Shelter. Indeed there are many wonderful trails in the Standing Indian Wilderness Area; however, I would like to share an idea out of the box.

3.8 mile Art Loeb Trail Section 4 from the Boy Scout Camp Daniel Boone to Cold Mountain Trail US Forrest Service 141 at Deep Gap, 1.4 miles to summit and 1.4 miles return to Deep Gap for camping. There is only one piped water source and it is on USFS 141. Second day hike out on Art Loeb Trail Section 3 to paved FSR 816, 6.8 miles. This is a 13.4 mile hike. Don't let that fool you.

The first mile of Art Loeb Section 4 is brutal, the second mile is level. The second mile is without doubt the most beautiful and varied example of vegetation I have ever seen. You do not want to leave but after taking an hour or so you must move on. A mountain stream crossing is refreshing.

USFS 141 trail to the 6,030 foot summit of Cold Mountain. You will want to spend some time their enjoying the views from a spur trail. Return to Deep Gap for camping.

Hiking out the next day on the 6.8 mile Section 3 takes you through the Shinning Rocks, huge quartz boulder field that can be seen from the Blue Ridge Parkway several miles away, and over the ridge of Tennant and Black Balsam Mountains, both over 6,000 feet.

Second night camping at the Pisgah Inn about 10 miles down the Parkway. You can camp at the campground or reserve a room at the Inn. Rooms are very clean but austere. Local TV channels only and only pay phones outside when we were there.Some rooms have fireplaces for that chilly evening. All rooms have rear balcony's looking out over the Davidson River Valley and the beautiful rock monoliths, Looking Glass, Jon Rock and Cedar Mountains. The restaurant has glass exposure to the Valley. Occupants have the privilege of reserving tables along that wall.

Parking at Daniel Boone is reasonably secure. You would have to arrange a shuttle from the end of your hike to the Inn. That should not be a problem since Inn employees live in a dorm at the Inn and I am sure you could prearrange with one of them to shuttle you to the Inn and back to your car the next day.

If you desire some more hiking, Buck Springs Trail extends for U. S. 276 to the back of the end. Again, you would need a shuttle to the trail head for the return hike.

This unusual hike is so worth it for the anniversary!

http://campdanielboone.org/
http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/shining_rock_wilderness.htm

http://www.romanticasheville.com/art_loeb_trail.htm
http://www.pisgahinn.com/

RED-DOG
02-25-2015, 15:18
I RECCOMEND SINCE YOU WANT TO END WITH A NICE TIME go to Ashville NC and hike the Linville Gorge Loop this is a super sampler of the southern half of linville gorge this is a 3 day backpacking trip it's 22 miles with awesome views of waterfalls vistas and also wildlife you will start at Wolf Pit Road Parking area then you will ascend the wolf pit trail and turn right onto the Mountains To Sea trailthen your great adventure will begin and you don't have to worry about thru-hikers and hords of people.