PDA

View Full Version : Section Hiking on AT in PA, End of Nov 2006

Bestbugz
11-02-2005, 12:19
My question is, can you camp anywhere on State Game Land in PA or are you required to stay at one of the shelters or designated camp sites as in NJ?

stormin norman
11-03-2005, 17:05
I do believe that you cannot camp on state gamelands in Pa. so you will probably have to stay at a shelter or designated camping area. You may also want to consider that rifle season starts on the Monday after Thanksgiving and runs for two weeks. I would expect there to be a good many hunters out in the game lands so wear plenty of blaze orange to be safe. Hope this helps.

The Solemates
11-03-2005, 17:30
and PA probably has one of the highest percentages for any state of residents who hunt. be careful and wear plenty of orange.

Freighttrain
11-03-2005, 17:52
smallgame and or Bow is in season now.... hunters are everywhere turkey season will soon be here and there is no requirement to wear orange for turkey.

from Boiling Springs north... 15 or so miles there is no camping... and i think North a ways from HAwk mtn...

if you have a dog, keep it on a leash and put an orange bandanna on it...and put a few on yourself and top and rear of your pack ...
During Deer season, its legal to shoot dogs chasing deer as well as coyote

c.coyle
11-04-2005, 08:33
According to the latest (1998) Pa. AT Guide, "primitive camping" is permitted on Pa. Gamelands, which comprise 72 of 218 miles of Pa AT. No camping w/in 200' of the trail or 500' of a water source, one night only at a given site, and no open fires when so posted. I think this is still the policy.

You might want to Google the Pa. Game Commission

Freighttrain
11-04-2005, 09:21
i doubt camping is allowed on gamelands during any "open" hunting season... ill see if i can locate the info..

i know 200' and 500' are the norm "rules" but they are not followed by the hiking clubs... one example is Rousch Gap Shelter where the water is 5 feet in front of the shelter.. and i doubt the pirvy is 500' away.... another is Allentown Shelter... no where near 200' off trail... there are many more examples of do as i say not as i do RULES.
200' for camping would be off the Mtn in mostly all of Pa and the rest of the trail

c.coyle
11-04-2005, 11:40
i doubt camping is allowed on gamelands during any "open" hunting season... ill see if i can locate the info..

i know 200' and 500' are the norm "rules" but they are not followed by the hiking clubs... one example is Rousch Gap Shelter where the water is 5 feet in front of the shelter.. and i doubt the pirvy is 500' away.... another is Allentown Shelter... no where near 200' off trail... there are many more examples of do as i say not as i do RULES.
200' for camping would be off the Mtn in mostly all of Pa and the rest of the trail

I don't think shelters are considered "primitive camping". As I've always understood it, Rausch Gap Shelter is a special exception allowed by the Game Commission since it's in the remotest stretch of AT in Pa. The nearest shelter south is Peter's Mountain, I'm guessing at least 15 miles from RG. The next shelter north in William Penn, also about 15 miles from RG.

Could be wrong, but I think RG is the only shelter actually sitting on Pa. Gamelands.

Spirit Walker
11-04-2005, 14:37
End of November is the beginning of rifle season - not a good time to be in the woods. I suggest the Shenandoahs instead.

c.coyle
11-04-2005, 15:41
End of November is the beginning of rifle season - not a good time to be in the woods. I suggest the Shenandoahs instead.

Specifically, 2005 rifle season is Nov. 28-Dec. 10. But, I wouldn't worry about it. And I certainly wouldn't change my plans. Wear blaze orange and stay on the trail and you'll be fine.

Sly
11-04-2005, 16:11
Specifically, 2005 rifle season is Nov. 28-Dec. 10. But, I wouldn't worry about it. And I certainly wouldn't change my plans. Wear blaze orange and stay on the trail and you'll be fine.

There's a slim chance he'd get shot but I've hiked during hunting season and just hearing shots in the vicinity was a little unnerving.

SKCM
11-06-2005, 13:27
I live in PA and I would absolutely NOT hike during hunting season unless I had blaze orange and a bear bell on. The bear bell isn't for bear, it is for those "kids" that are 14 years old out hunting for the first time.

As far as camping goes, If it were me I would make the effort to stay at the shelters. I have hiked this section and there are plenty of stealth sites but few are near a reliable water source. All the shelters are in good condition... Rausch Gap, being the oldest, is the most run down... but it has running water right outside the shelter that is filtered through lime stone.

SKCM

Steve W
11-07-2005, 12:12
I hiked in PA during rifle season one time and I will never make that mistake again! I had some of the worst hiking experiences ever on that trip. It was the only time I ever was happy to get out of the woods. I have absolutely no problem with hunting, it's just some of the idiots on the other side of the rifle.

neo
11-07-2005, 12:19
i would say go for it:cool: neo