PDA

View Full Version : Jetboil Sol versus Zip

JaketheFake
02-23-2015, 21:41
If this has been covered off on another thread, I am sorry (I thought I saw something a while ago, but can not located now).

I am planning a 2016 thru hike and I am holding in my hands a Zip and a Sol... the Zip being $75 and the Sol being $159. I can not tell the difference other than the zip weighs 12 ounces and the Sol weighs 8.6 ounces and has an auto ignition?

I have also been told the Sol I have in my hot little hands is the last avaialble as it is no longer offered (and it is no longer listed on Jetboil's web-site).

Can the Jetboil experts shed some light on this for me. Serious, the Zip and the Sol are the exact same size.. can it be the cos of the titanium in the Sol?

Thanks.

MyName1sMud
02-23-2015, 22:19
I've always been a fan of Jetboil's products..

I also have strongly been thinking about picking up a solo stove just to give it a shot.

Turtle-2013
02-23-2015, 22:44
I use the JetBoil TI, I guess that is the Sol and really like it ... my daughter uses the Flash which is a bit bigger and likes it as well. I do think the difference between the ZIP and SOL is just the Titanium, which of course means weight and price.

4eyedbuzzard
02-23-2015, 23:49
The original Jetboil was a 1 liter aluminum version weighing around 13 oz I think, followed by the Flash, if my memory serves correctly, and then the Zip. Also available were the group cooking system and fry pan pots. Then came two versions of the SOL, an aluminum one at 9+ oz, and the SOL Ti, a Titanium version about an ounce lighter. Both were .8 liters, and there was also a Sumo companion cup with 1.5 liter capacity I believe, in Aluminum only. JB had welding/brazing issues with the Aluminum flux ring on them, especially the Ti version. They've had some valve issues with many models over the years as well. Both SOL models appear to be discontinued. JB has pretty consistently changed their product line over the years. I still have an original and a SOL Ti. Both have always worked fine. Hey, maybe they will become a "hot" items (pun intended) on the used market someday ;)

Connie
02-24-2015, 08:04
My JetBoil Zip has no spark device and no thermo-regulator technology.

The JetBoil Sol Ti has the spark device and the thermo-regulator technology good to 20 F.

The problems were with boiling food over onto the "fins" at the base, or, turning it ON "dry" with nothing inside: like burning up cookware at home.

It isn't really clear "people" did this. I read all the "posts" on the internet of self styled "testing" that did this to their JetBoil demanding replacement under warranty, when, in fact, every JetBoil is for "hot water right now".

Recently, now, "simmering" has been added with the MiniMo model, especially, now recommended for preparing food in the MiniMo.

Nooga
02-24-2015, 10:28
You should be able to find a much lower price for the Sol than $159.

JaketheFake
02-24-2015, 11:35
What is a good price for a Sol?

RED-DOG
02-24-2015, 11:54
I have a sol-ti and i love it, automatic ignition, it boils water fast, and i love the fact it's one system, the cook pot and everything as one, but they quit making the SOL-TI a few months ago, right know if i wanted to buy a jetboil it would either be the Minimo or the flash.

RED-DOG
02-24-2015, 11:55

i got mine on sale for $140.00 plus shipping and handling and tax.

4eyedbuzzard
02-24-2015, 14:16
Just do a google shopping search. Moosejaw has it for 126.99 w/free shipping

Allshookup
02-24-2015, 18:32
Sierra Trading Post has it for $119.00 and you can normally find a 20-40 percent off coupon for their site online searches, facebook, or sign up for their email stuff.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/jetboil-sol-ti-premium-cooking-system-stove~p~8346u/?filterString=s~jetboil%2F&colorFamily=01

JaketheFake
02-25-2015, 00:53
Oh man that's a deal!!! Thank you!!!

q-tip
02-25-2015, 12:37
Another option is the Olicamp XTS pot (6.7 oz) and the Soto OD 1R stove. Saves 6 oz. And with the fins on the bottom of the pot water boil in 2+ min. Stove, wind sheild, pot will run $100 total. Just an option.

RED-DOG
02-25-2015, 12:48
if it's just the SOL it's the aluminum version if it's the SOL-TI it's the Titanium version expect to pay more for the SOL-TI.

Kulliman
10-22-2017, 13:38
The original Jetboil was a 1 liter aluminum version weighing around 13 oz I think, followed by the Flash, if my memory serves correctly, and then the Zip. Also available were the group cooking system and fry pan pots. Then came two versions of the SOL, an aluminum one at 9+ oz, and the SOL Ti, a Titanium version about an ounce lighter. Both were .8 liters, and there was also a Sumo companion cup with 1.5 liter capacity I believe, in Aluminum only. JB had welding/brazing issues with the Aluminum flux ring on them, especially the Ti version. They've had some valve issues with many models over the years as well. Both SOL models appear to be discontinued. JB has pretty consistently changed their product line over the years. I still have an original and a SOL Ti. Both have always worked fine. Hey, maybe they will become a "hot" items (pun intended) on the used market someday ;)
I have a JetBoil Sol (Aluminum) and it weighs 12 ounces (343 grams to be more precise) It boils water fast (about 1 minute for 2 cups) and has an igniter that has never failed. Usually starts with one click, sometimes two. Iv'e been using it for three years on over two dozen weekend trips. I was looking into what I would have to get if I needed to replace the one I have, so I contacted Jetboil. this was their answer:

"The Jetboil Sol is most comparable to the MicrMo. The vessels (cup) are both .8L and bother burners have the Simmer control and regulator.The MiniMo and Sumo have the same burner as the MicrMo, the only difference between are the size vessel’s.
I hope this was helpful information for you, if you have any additional questions please feel free to contact us."

KDogg
10-22-2017, 14:17
I used a Flash Light on my thru hike. Two packs of ramen, add some seeds and meat, fill with water, ready to eat in just a few minutes. When looking into what to get I read a bunch of negatives on the titanium version (don't think they make it anymore?). If you heat the Ti version without water the heat exchanger will fall off. I know, don't do that, but many people apparently did.

Venchka
10-22-2017, 18:17
I have a JetBoil Sol (Aluminum) and it weighs 12 ounces (343 grams to be more precise) It boils water fast (about 1 minute for 2 cups) and has an igniter that has never failed. Usually starts with one click, sometimes two. Iv'e been using it for three years on over two dozen weekend trips. I was looking into what I would have to get if I needed to replace the one I have, so I contacted Jetboil. this was their answer:

"The Jetboil Sol is most comparable to the MicrMo. The vessels (cup) are both .8L and bother burners have the Simmer control and regulator.The MiniMo and Sumo have the same burner as the MicrMo, the only difference between are the size vessel’s.
I hope this was helpful information for you, if you have any additional questions please feel free to contact us."

Thank you for that detailed and helpful information.
I scored the aluminum SOL at my local Gander Mountain Store before they closed. It was new old stock, but the universal pot support was missing. I called JetBoil and they sent me the support. $65.00 out the door. I’m a happy camper!
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk