PDA

View Full Version : shenandoah questions

fizz3499
02-23-2015, 23:47
My husband and I are planning on section hiking the Shenandoah nation park the beginning of September. I was wondering what the weather is normally like there in September. Where would be the best place to park our car and how could be arrange transportation back to our car. Is it easier to hike it north to south or south to north. Hubby doesn't hike much but he I willing to go with me so I want to make it as easy for him as I can. Any information on this section the trail would be appreciated.

Don H
02-24-2015, 10:23
ATC has a shuttle list here: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/at-shuttle-list.pdf?sfvrsn=0
Your shuttler can help you with parking.
I recommend you arrange with your shuttler to pick you up at your car and take you to your start point, then hike back to your car.
Assuming you're doing the entire SNP you can park at the old Howard Johnson's at Rockfish Gap or the 4H Center in Front Royal.

Enjoy you're hike.

Don H
02-24-2015, 10:26
Oh, and as far as weather goes, September can either be hot. It can also be chilly, especially in the evenings. Also water can be an issue if the summer was dry.
I like to hike in October, I enjoy cooler weather and the leaves changing.

Lyle
02-24-2015, 10:39
I've been very successful in getting rides along the Skyline Drive to return to my car. Not hitching in the traditional, thumb out sense. Just find the nearest popular overlook or facility, strike up a conversation with some likely candidates (big car, few people in group, heading the right direction) After some pleasant conversation, usually about your hike and their trip, casually mention "Well, I better get about hitching a ride back to my car". 7 out of 10 times you end up with a ride offer, without even having to ask.

Sneaky, yeah, but it often works, and most folks like hearing about a backpacking trip (try to have some interesting stories in mind to relate to them) so it's a win-win.

That said, there is the gamble that your tactic won't work, so if a sure bet is more to your liking, arranging a shuttle at the beginning of the trip is a better option. Also, carry a list of near-by shuttle drivers in case you need to call one if you have to cut your trip short for some reason.

Good luck, and HAVE FUN!

Coffee
02-24-2015, 11:09
I often notice that the weather near Washington DC gets much nicer right around Labor Day. September is usually very pleasant around the Potomac and more so up in the mountains. The leaves will not have changed yet early in the month so the hordes of tourists and motorcycles will not be as prevalent on Skyline Drive, the days will be longer, and nights should normally be warmer. That being said, the change of colors in the park makes it crowded for a reason. If hiking in October it is best to avoid weekends if possible and I'd also argue that it might be better to avoid the AT since it is close to Skyline drive, if noise pollution is a concern. There are many great side trails in SNP that go away from roads so even on an October weekend you won't have to listen to what seems like 1000 motorcycles an hour revving up their engines all over the place on Skyline Drive.

fizz3499
02-25-2015, 10:05
Thanks everyone for the help

Whistler80
03-03-2015, 21:35
Hey Keeping with the thread name. I have a planned trip from 66 sobo to 33. a 6-7 day trip. Wondering if theres any way to do a mail drop or place to resupply on that section. Its not the end of the world to carry 7 days of food but if avoidable I am for it.

Donde
03-04-2015, 00:06
Hey Keeping with the thread name. I have a planned trip from 66 sobo to 33. a 6-7 day trip. Wondering if theres any way to do a mail drop or place to resupply on that section. Its not the end of the world to carry 7 days of food but if avoidable I am for it.

Hitch into Luray on 211 at Thornton Gap resupply at the food lion/ or mail drop at the PO. They have an outfitter and a couple of cheapish motels if you need them, and get a crabcake sandwich at Mok-N-She's while your at it. Problem solved your welcome.

Whistler80
03-23-2015, 06:51
Hello again. I was looking at the ATC interactive map for parking. It only shows parking near route 33 on Skyline drive. The original plan was to park our car there. Then shuttle up to 66. This way avoiding a need to wait or try to time it right for a shuttle to pic us up. Is that a possible plan? Is there parking near there or do we need to change our plans? Thanks