PDA

View Full Version : Water Treatment Options

MarcnNJ
11-02-2005, 13:23
Option #1: Carry katadyn mini-filter and iodine tablets as back-up.

Option #2: Is it possible to install an inline filter on the hose for my platypus 2L so i could just fill my reservoir with untreated water, and have it be filtered as i drink it??

Option #3: Gravity fed filteration using 2 platypus reservoirs (1L & 2L) and an inline filter inbetween the 2. Fill 1L reservoir with untreated water. Then raise filled reservoir and have gravity feed the water through the filter and ultimately into 2L clean reservoir.

Im currently thinking of going with option #3, but would like to know if option #2 is possible. Im trying to not have to deal with worrying about and carrying a pump style filter. Either way i go, i plan on carrying chemical treatment as backup.

fiddlehead
11-02-2005, 14:38
why not boil it too, then you'll really feel safe.

MarcnNJ
11-02-2005, 15:09
why not boil it too, then you'll really feel safe.
Is that what you do??

Seeker
11-02-2005, 16:01
i'd go with chemical as primary and skip the filter. have done it both ways. filter is for sale.use a bandana to filter crunchy/chewy/gritty, if needed. add Aqua Mira to purify. No filter mess, no filter weight, no funny iodine taste (though my brother claims he can taste 'something'). yeah, it takes about 20 minutes, start to finish... but i'm never in a hurry on the trail.you can get a filter bottle for about $10 at campmor for those times when you just can't wait to get a drink.

Skidsteer
11-03-2005, 19:44
Option #1: Carry katadyn mini-filter and iodine tablets as back-up.

Option #2: Is it possible to install an inline filter on the hose for my platypus 2L so i could just fill my reservoir with untreated water, and have it be filtered as i drink it??

Option #3: Gravity fed filteration using 2 platypus reservoirs (1L & 2L) and an inline filter inbetween the 2. Fill 1L reservoir with untreated water. Then raise filled reservoir and have gravity feed the water through the filter and ultimately into 2L clean reservoir.

Im currently thinking of going with option #3, but would like to know if option #2 is possible. Im trying to not have to deal with worrying about and carrying a pump style filter. Either way i go, i plan on carrying chemical treatment as backup.

Re: #2- Yes! Check out http://ula-equipment.com/. The cartridge filter for the H2O Amigo will also work inline with a Platypus:D

soulrebel
11-03-2005, 20:04
I went insane with this one. I'll let you do the same :).

(j/k-ula is nice however it's more like 3-5mins per liter) unless of course you are sucking it thru then it's more like the 1.5l a min they advertise.

Their in-line filter weighs 4.1oz.

We've come down to a 2L generic bladder each (2.9oz) and a 12oz plastic bottle (1oz)(used for carrying some jim beam-hehe). We share the ula amigo (8.9oz w/ sil-net bag-this is also good for carrying much spirits) and a 4l platy bag w/ handles (2.7oz). It has provided us with a lot of versatility.

neo
11-03-2005, 21:40
i carry the ula h20 amigo inline water filter and polar pure also:cool: neo

MarcnNJ
11-05-2005, 16:32
i carry the ula h20 amigo inline water filter and polar pure also:cool: neo
Neo, do you use the H20 amigo as advertised? what are your overall impressions??