PDA

View Full Version : Permits

njgramm
02-24-2015, 19:26
I was just wondering, if anyone felt free to share, how many have thru hiked without obtaining a "permit" through the park areas? Follow up question is, if so, what were your experiences in doing so?

10-K
02-24-2015, 19:30
It's easy enough to just get the permits - why wouldn't you?

DLP
02-24-2015, 19:36
I've been stopped three times and asked to show my permit - twice in Yosemite and once in the Desolation Wilderness. I had a permit all 3 times.

The Desolation Wilderness permit was off by a few days, but the ranger was awesome and understanding and didn't give me a ticket or even a hard time.

johnnybgood
02-24-2015, 19:37
Why risk getting fined if caught. Like 10k stated , a permit is easy enough to get.

njgramm
02-24-2015, 19:58
The question of why not can get wallowed into a long debate. That's why I just stuck to others experiences here. As far as easy to get maybe I am missing something. I planned my thru hike a few years back and couldn't go. This year I am looking up that it is supposed to be done online or by phone. Well that works great if you use a credit card. I don't. Don't believe in the credit system of everyday finance. Which again is not a topic I am attempting to debate. If you can still pay as you enter then yeah I agree it would be easier to get the permit.

10-K
02-24-2015, 20:00
To each his own and I totally get that people have different worldviews.

I would suggest a prepaid Visa giftcard purchased at CVS or Walgreens with enough on it to purchase the permit and then toss it in the trash as soon as you complete the transaction.

njgramm
02-24-2015, 20:05
Have you ever read the fees on those prepaid cards? I guess if it's true they eliminated the drop boxes and don't accept cash upon harassing people I will deal with it then. But again I digress... lol Just curious what others experiences were if they cared to share.

Sly
02-24-2015, 20:13
The question of why not can get wallowed into a long debate. That's why I just stuck to others experiences here. As far as easy to get maybe I am missing something.

What you're missing is any subject on illegalities is forbidden on Whiteblaze.

You may not have a credit card but you can hook up with a hiker on the trail that does have one, pay them and obtain a permit legally.

With that said, case closed.