PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in Denver area - ~5 days, ~50 to ~70 miles, Mid May - Suggestions?

ChrisJackson
02-24-2015, 19:39
Well! Just found out I have about 5 days in Mid May to do some hiking in the Denver area! Does anyone know a good hike? I'm thinking approximately 10 to 15 miles per day. A loop would be ideal, but an out-and-back would work too. A 5 or 6 hour drive out of Denver to get to the trail is fine as well. THANKS!

mr_lasseter
02-24-2015, 21:28
4 pass loop. It's a a beautiful hike. Not sure what the conditions would be like mid May. We did it in the beginning of August and it was great.

Shutterbug
02-24-2015, 21:32
Well! Just found out I have about 5 days in Mid May to do some hiking in the Denver area! Does anyone know a good hike? I'm thinking approximately 10 to 15 miles per day. A loop would be ideal, but an out-and-back would work too. A 5 or 6 hour drive out of Denver to get to the trail is fine as well. THANKS!

Have someone drop you off at Kenosha Pass and hike the Colorado Trail back to Denver.

Mags
02-24-2015, 22:56
4 pass loop. It's a a beautiful hike. Not sure what the conditions would be like mid May. We did it in the beginning of August and it was great.

Probably snowy. :)

If you are willing to go further south, look into northern New Mexico. That's about a 5-6 hour drive from Denver and the snow pack is usually just about right in a normal year at mid-May. The Pecos wilderness comes to mind.

The stretch from Kenosha to Denver is pleasant, but there are more scenic options if you are willing to drive a little bit.

ChrisJackson
02-25-2015, 12:57
Thanks for the suggestions! I love the planning phase :) Looking into these now...

ChrisJackson
02-25-2015, 21:58
Everything I've read so far suggest mid May may be too early for the CT. Do y'all think the first 5 segments of the CT would actually be okay? A little discouraged about it now...was real excited. Would hate to slog through snow for five days :) Would trail markers be visible? Thanks guys. I appreciate your opinion and experience.

garlic08
02-25-2015, 22:10
There's a 25 mile or so loop in the Lost Creek Wilderness for starters, ideal in May. The CT goes near there. Depending on snow in March and April, the CT could be very passable with just a few icy and muddy spots. There almost certainly will not be enough snow to obscure the trail or blazes. I don't think creek crossings will be much of an issue there, either.

Mags' suggestion of northern NM is a good one. The climate and conditions in the mountains down there are much better that time of year.

Otherwise, there is some great "shoulder season" day hiking, with some long car shuttles and loops, in the county open space parks in the Denver/Boulder metro area foothills. Jefferson County and Boulder County Open Space have hundreds of miles of excellent trails. There are even some hike-in campsites available in the larger parks, like White Ranch in Jeffco. The Beaver Brook Trail outside of Golden is a personal favorite for a car shuttle or a long out-and-back.

Mags
02-26-2015, 01:09
The first 50 miles or so of the CT should be pretty snow free..but, again, are more pleasant that spectacular. At least IMO.

Garlics suggestion of foothills based day hikes works very well, too.

colorado_rob
02-26-2015, 05:40
Perfect time of year for lost creek wilderness loops. No way on the aspen 4 pass, sorry. Ct from kenosha to denver should be fine, but deep in lcw better hiking. More later, in Oz right now, tapping on phone with lousy wifi....