PDA

View Full Version : It was 10 years ago today...

Cookerhiker
02-25-2015, 09:19
...that I joined an AT-oriented website that I had recently heard about. After ramping up my section hiking in '04, I learned of trailjournals.com and subsequently some other site named whiteblaze.net. Out of curiosity and wanting to make connections with other AT aficionados, I lurked a short while and joined on February 25, 2005.

At that time, WB only had a few thousand members but then, as now, it was a helpful and informative site for all things backpacking and AT. Yes, there has been trolling and some overheated discussions but none of that detracts from WBs pluses and benefits. I'm pleased to see new members joining all the time and getting involved with their questions and contributions.

And I've made a lot of friends through WB, some of whom I've hiked with. It's always nice to put a face with a (trail) name - just last fall at the ALDHA Gathering, I met some WBers in person for the first time.

Thanks to all the mods for their dedication on what's often a thankless task, especially those mods who have been serving for years. And here's hoping that WB goes strong for another 10+ years!

illabelle
02-25-2015, 09:26
Congratulations to one of the early members! And wow, just noticed your age:66 your posts: 6665. You need one more!!

johnnybgood
02-25-2015, 10:25
I too can say that this forum has allowed me to meet/ hike with great folks like yourself Bill.

Speakeasy TN
02-25-2015, 10:30
Congrats on 10 years! That's a lot of people you've helped over a long time. And you're one of the few old timers that don't ever remember having to say " What's this guy thinking?". There's worse ways to be known than thoughtful and even-keeled. Just thank you doesn't seem enough......

Kerosene
02-25-2015, 11:32
This prompted me to figure out when I joined: Sept. 2002, or about 12.5 years ago! Add perhaps another year on the forerunner of WhiteBlaze (I forgot the name, but I'm sure SGT Rock recalls) and it just reminds me of how old I'm getting.

I had the good fortune to meet CookerHiker in person, along johnnybgood and a number of other WhiteBlazers, on a McAfee Knob dayhike back in February 2011. It is good to put a trailname with a face!

Cookerhiker
02-25-2015, 21:43
I too can say that this forum has allowed me to meet/ hike with great folks like yourself Bill.

This prompted me to figure out when I joined: Sept. 2002, or about 12.5 years ago! Add perhaps another year on the forerunner of WhiteBlaze (I forgot the name, but I'm sure SGT Rock recalls) and it just reminds me of how old I'm getting.

I had the good fortune to meet CookerHiker in person, along johnnybgood and a number of other WhiteBlazers, on a McAfee Knob dayhike back in February 2011. It is good to put a trailname with a face!

It was really nice meeting you guys at the get-together arranged by Hikerhead and J5Man. And as I recall John, wasn't it your 50th birthday too?

Cookerhiker
02-25-2015, 21:45
Congrats on 10 years! That's a lot of people you've helped over a long time. And you're one of the few old timers that don't ever remember having to say " What's this guy thinking?". There's worse ways to be known than thoughtful and even-keeled. Just thank you doesn't seem enough......

Thanks! Never thought of myself as an oldtimer (although I know I'm old) because I's regard WBers like Kerosene who joined before I did. But I suppose compared to most on WB these days, I am "senior."

capehiker
02-25-2015, 22:09
Congrats on a decade. I came over after another popular site closed its doors (or rather that incarnation) and drifted thru a few other sites before finding WB.