PDA

View Full Version : PA Late April Gear

woodsman
02-26-2015, 10:25
Southern PA and heading north on April 24. 20 degree or 40 degree bag at time of start?

Just curious if winter gear still needed this late.

linus72
02-26-2015, 10:33
on a similar note, will be in northern section of NY AT at this time and only have a 30 degree mummy bag... so will watch answers here as well!

Coffee
02-26-2015, 10:34
I was in PA toward the end of April last year as part of a 260 mile section starting at the south end of SNP. By the time I got to PA, the weather was much warmer and well above freezing at night. I had my Marmot Helium 15 degree bag and my Montbell parka but I didn't need the parka after Harpers Ferry. The bag was overkill but I think that if I had to choose between a 20 and 40, I would go with the 20 just to be on the safe side. I did experience a lot of rain on the final day of my trip but it was probably in the 50s, not a cold rain. I think that chances of snow at that time of year are pretty low.

Malto
02-26-2015, 15:19
I would take a 20 deg over a 40 degree any day. With infinite options I would like take a 30deg that time of year.

illabelle
02-26-2015, 15:42
Southern PA and heading north on April 24. 20 degree or 40 degree bag at time of start?

Just curious if winter gear still needed this late.

We did PenMar to Duncannon in mid-April two years ago. I don't recall any cold weather. Looking back at our pictures from that trip, I see that one day we were hiking in shorts and short sleeves, another day in long sleeves and rain pants. I kinda vaguely remember hiking the last mile or so before one of the shelters in a light drizzle and getting a bit chilly. Soon after we arrived, there was a big downpour, and a storm with the threat of tornadoes. But we were comfy and dry at one of the best shelters I've seen on the whole trail, Quarry Gap. Make sure you spend some time there!
The only bag I have is a 15*, and I'll carry it this spring when we return to PA to do the next section. If I get too hot, there's a zipper.