PDA

View Full Version : What's the best pack for the AT?

trailrunner
11-02-2005, 18:42
I'm looking at some packs, and I was wondering what people recommend/ what has worked. Specific size in sq. in. and certain brands? Thanks!

Footslogger
11-02-2005, 18:51
You're gonna get a lot of different answers to this one. But I'll share my experience with you.

For most of my thru in 2003 I carried the Granite Gear Vapor Trail. Not a big pack by any measure. Designed to carry less than 30 lbs. It's rated at around 3600 cu in and weighs 2 lbs empty. I found it to be a super comfortable and durable pack. It's still going strong, althought I did have to upsize my hip belt. It "shrunk" since my thru hike ...or is it that my waisline grew ??

'Slogger

Peaks
11-03-2005, 07:47
There is no one pack that works for everyone. I suspect there is an article on buying a pack under the articles section. Read that, then do you own research to find out what works best for you.

tlbj6142
11-03-2005, 10:15
Check out ULA's larger two packs (Catalyst and Circuit) at www.ula-equipment.com (http://www.ula-equipment.com). The old P-1 is a great pack, so I'd have to assume the new models are better. I'd go with the Circuit (maybe the Conduit), but some folks think they need more than 3700ci, would go with the Catalyst. I personally own a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone (~3800ci) which is more than enough for any thru-hike. Buy the optional top-lid if you are a pocket freak and you are set. It has a fully adjustable torso length and removable/replacable shoulderstraps and hip belt to fit any body. All for just 3#.

Spirit Walker
11-03-2005, 11:15
Which pack works for you depends on how much you are carrying and your body shape/size and what kind of options you want. If you are ready to go ultralight your choice will be different than if you are just starting out and plan to carry 40 or 50 pounds. Some hikers need pockets, others hate them. Some want the waterbladder option; I wouldn't consider it. I've tried on packs that others loved that hit me absolutely wrong on the tailbone or collar bones. You will have to go to a good gear store and try on several, fully loaded, to get some idea of what works for you. And even then, it's iffy. I've had packs that were fine for training/short trips and then midway on the thruhike I found that they weren't nearly as comfortable as I thought. But it really didn't matter.

Singe03
11-03-2005, 11:31
If I were planning the AT again, I'd buy every other piece of gear that I planned on carrying first, then post a gear list here for folks to pick apart, they love to do that from what I've seen.

When you have the final list of everything your going to carry, throw it all in a box (do not forget you will be carrying food and water as well, so make sure you account for that volume and weight) and drive to your local outfitter. Get a pack that fits you well and is just large enough to accomidate all of your winter gear, having the right weight lets you get a really good feel for how comfortable the pack will be when loaded.

Personally I used a Gregory Forester and loved it, but I'd go a little smaller and lighter next time around.