PDA

View Full Version : Accurate Fitness or Activity Tracker for A.T.

shelb
02-26-2015, 16:02
I am looking at purchasing one of those new fitness trackers. In the past, my cheaper pedometer was very inaccurate with elevation climbs. Can anyone suggest a fitness trackers around $170 or less that would accurately track steps on the A.T.?

Thanks!

Poedog
02-26-2015, 16:16
Isn't there an app for that? Seems expensive for something that counts your steps. Are you thru hiking?

Shutterbug
02-26-2015, 16:34
I am looking at purchasing one of those new fitness trackers. In the past, my cheaper pedometer was very inaccurate with elevation climbs. Can anyone suggest a fitness trackers around $170 or less that would accurately track steps on the A.T.?

Thanks!

I use Fitbit. When you say that your pedometer is "very inaccurate with evelation climbs" I wonder if you are talking about the steps or the distance. Any pedometer that I know about estimates the distance you have traveled by multiplying the number of steps you take by your stride (you enter the length of your stride during the setup). When you do either a steep climb of a steep descent, you take shorter than normal steps. That is what causes the distance to be inaccurate. No device that simply counts steps will solve that issue.

I have the kind of fitbit that goes in my pocket. I also have a Garmin devise that is in a wrist band. I find that the Fitbit I more accurate.

zepphead80
02-26-2015, 18:03
I have a Garmin Forerunner that is extremely accurate with both distance and elevation, and I use it on all of my day hikes - but I can only imagine the hassle that would go into keep it charged on a thru hike. The thing can usually only go eight to ten hours before it dies.

shelb
02-27-2015, 00:50
Thank you Poedog, shutterbug, and zepphead80,

I am not a thru-hiker, and I generally carry my phone in my purse (or it is left in my desk during the day), so an app would not work.

The main purpose of my fitness tracker would be to track my daily activity OFF the trail; however, I figured I might as well get one that would work ON the trail too!

I don't do well with the kind that attaches to my belt (somehow they always end up in a toilet or lost). I want one of those wrist things....

Lone Woof
02-27-2015, 05:59
The Garmin vivofit would work great in the trail. It has two batteries that hold a charge for up to a year. Data must be downloaded to your Garmin app at least once a week. It provides steps, calories burned, tracks sleep, and miles (not the most accurate bc it isn't GPS).

The Garmin vivosmart or most fitbit products have to be charge all the time.

Pretty nice tool, I am currently not using mine.

Boo8meR
03-01-2015, 09:32
I'm considering taking my Fitbit Surge just to track steps on a thru-hike. But, I really don't know if I want the added hassle of charging it, keeping it relatively dry, etc. But, I think it'd do what you're asking as long as you had a phone to back it up every few days.

egilbe
03-01-2015, 09:35
Thank you Poedog, shutterbug, and zepphead80,

I am not a thru-hiker, and I generally carry my phone in my purse (or it is left in my desk during the day), so an app would not work.

The main purpose of my fitness tracker would be to track my daily activity OFF the trail; however, I figured I might as well get one that would work ON the trail too!

I don't do well with the kind that attaches to my belt (somehow they always end up in a toilet or lost). I want one of those wrist things....

My GF clips hers in her bra. No falling into toilets that way. We have noticed that its not very accurate if we are hiking up and down hills because, as was said, she takes shorter steps. It could be as much as 20% off in distance.

Superbugz
03-01-2015, 20:47
I have a Fitbit Charge and have been very pleased with it. It's accurate with steps (you set your own stride) and counts elevation accurately. It also has a clock and a silent alarm which comes in handy when you don't want to make a lot of noise getting up in the morning. It's water 'resistant' but not proof, and holds a charge for about 7-9 days. Uses the same port as a iPhone 5 or above. I've been pleased, you might want to check it out

Superbugz
03-01-2015, 20:48
I've had the kind your GF has too, it doesn't count elevations and you can't set the stride, so I do like this one better