PDA

View Full Version : Studded Overshoes

Chair-man
02-26-2015, 16:24
I'm a seriously considering getting a pair of these studded overshoes (http://www.tingleyrubber.com/catalog/04.pdf) instead of microspikes for my late Feb start next year and I want to know what you guys think.

I see the microspikes as having only one purpose and that is traction where as these studded overboots would add waterproof and some extra warmth.

OK, so here's the downside. The large size weighs 2.25 lbs:eek: & the XL size weighs 2.37 lbs. I know that's a deal breaker for most of you. I figure I'd only have to carry them for a month or so.

Do you think they would last a few hundred miles of hiking? They're made for construction work.
Do you think the studs would provide enough traction on the trail?

Here's is another link to the same overboot. They are the Tingley model 1350, the rubber comes all the way up to your ankle. (http://www.amazon.com/Winter-Traction-Rubber-Stretch-Overshoe/dp/B009SRO6JC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424982022&sr=8-1&keywords=tingley+1350)

They use to call these galoshes years ago:D.

Tipi Walter
02-26-2015, 18:04
Excess redundancy. And they're only waterproof in a couple inches of water, and do nothing for creek crossings. I can barely get myself to carry the weight of Kahtoola microspikes on my winter trips but have found them mandatory on certain trails in certain conditions where they perform great. Why add an extra lb with Tingley when the spikes work well??

Chair-man
02-26-2015, 18:57
Excess redundancy. And they're only waterproof in a couple inches of water, and do nothing for creek crossings.
Actually, they are hi top overshoes. They go up about 4 or 5 inches and I don't believe they're any creek crossings on the AT in GA or NC.

Why add an extra lb with Tingley when the spikes work well??

I feel that my feet would be warmer and dryer in snowy slushy conditions with the rubber overshoes.

I'm also considering bringing my waterproof gaters (http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/catalog/product/view/id/32448/s/mens-verglas-gaiters-3511abff230740db1fb3e907a98cc655/category/2158/) that way I won't have to wait at a hostel just because there's a foot of snow on the ground.

Malto
02-26-2015, 19:17
I'm not sure your approach will keep you out of a hostel more than trail runners and microspikes. If there's a foot of snow then usually I have no need for microspikes. There will then be other issues such as drifts or collapsed "trail" that you may have to crawl under. I would never take 2.25 extra pounds. You might as well take snowshoes, at least you would have flotation.

kayak karl
02-26-2015, 19:17
i don't remember any crossings in the south. i just wore mid-boots and hiked in 12" snow. i just figured if i was hiking in jan and feb my feet would be cold and wet at times. i think those boots would get heavy real quick.

Chair-man
02-26-2015, 20:54
i don't remember any crossings in the south. i just wore mid-boots and hiked in 12" snow. i just figured if i was hiking in jan and feb my feet would be cold and wet at times. i think those boots would get heavy real quick.

I bet a pair of soaking wet boots and socks weighs about 2 pounds too and you'll have to put em back on in the morning.

I don't know how hikers deal with hiking in the slush all day.

Malto
02-26-2015, 21:12
I bet a pair of soaking wet boots and socks weighs about 2 pounds too and you'll have to put em back on in the morning.

I don't know how hikers deal with hiking in the slush all day.

One thing that helps is either bread bags or similar. I made a pair of nylon booties. It keeps cold water from exchanging with water is your shoes. Even if your feet sweat it is warm. I used these on a spring hike in Vermont. Even with a 40 mile day my feet were comfortable all day long in the rain/snow/muck etc.

rocketsocks
02-26-2015, 21:20
Personally I'd go with micro spikes, those studs don't look bad ass enough to do much in the way of purchase...just my 2 cents.

Gray Bear
02-27-2015, 05:50
If you're looking for some rugged overshoes check these out. Not my thing for doing big miles but they totally rock for other applications. A guy I know that works on the power lines in Canada swears by them.

http://www.neosovershoescanada.com/?gclid=CjwKEAiAyMCnBRDa0Pyex-qswB0SJADKNMKAYcD6ORXXnEKt-k7_rynoZ7HsneLzzmIjW2Z7-TeCvhoC91_w_wcB

garlic08
02-27-2015, 09:18
One thing that helps is either bread bags or similar....

This is a good answer to your question about hiking in slush all day. I call it "Bagtex."

Personally I'd go with micro spikes, those studs don't look bad ass enough to do much in the way of purchase...just my 2 cents.

I agree with this--nothing like microspikes when faced with hard, water ice. Though my backcountry ski poles have the same carbide tips and they actually do OK when I have to pole across a frozen lake. Still, I wouldn't trust them on sloped ice on a trail, like I do with the 'spikes.

To the OP, the good question is whether the rubber boots would really hold up to rocky trail. I bet they'd at least hold up enough to give you traction for the trip, but you might have a leak or two and there goes the whole reason you carried the extra weight. Since I have the microspikes and plenty of bread bags, that's what I'd carry.

I actually tried light galoshes for backcountry use a lifetime ago, and only did that once--it just wasn't worth the weight and I didn't like the way they felt over a whole day of hiking.

Traveler
03-01-2015, 09:10
Actually, they are hi top overshoes. They go up about 4 or 5 inches and I don't believe they're any creek crossings on the AT in GA or NC.

I feel that my feet would be warmer and dryer in snowy slushy conditions with the rubber overshoes.

I'm also considering bringing my waterproof gaters (http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/catalog/product/view/id/32448/s/mens-verglas-gaiters-3511abff230740db1fb3e907a98cc655/category/2158/) that way I won't have to wait at a hostel just because there's a foot of snow on the ground.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind. Good luck!