PDA

View Full Version : I hate the Goat's Thread: Griping thread

SGT Rock
11-02-2005, 21:34
If you hate the Goat's thread, have a fun time beating it up right here.

The Old Fhart
11-02-2005, 22:30
Under the guise of humor this thread continues the distortion of the ideas and practices of The Goat. But of course it was not The Goat’s comments that turned the thread ugly. His responses were always pleasant, even humorous. It was the vicious repetition of distortions, in part by those who seem to think the Goats efforts are so hilarious. All kidding aside, this thread would be even funnier if it didn't come on the heals of one where a few people were intent on damaging the reputation of a trail icon like The Goat who was posting with sincerity.

I don't hate The Goat, I just don't think he should run rough-shod over the trail ruining it for us bipeds.

hikerjohnd
11-02-2005, 22:54
what i meant to say was: hikerjohnd- Don't be an internegator!

He called me a made up word :( and i think he's a internegator for calling me one. So There :p ! I'm made of rubber and he's made of glue...

Sgt Rock - do we really need this thread? Some people take stuff way too seriously!

SGT Rock
11-02-2005, 22:55
Yes. And those serious people need a place to be seriously funny. :welcome

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-03-2005, 07:30
I just sooooooo upset with Goat's Thread

because I didn't think of it first. :datz

I haven't read all of the original thread and imagine I'll have to take a few people off ignore to be able to tell what went wrong in the thread. It seems the same people muck-up threads over and over that mention or have the participation of those who are well-known on the trail and considered experts by some. :rolleyes:

Tha Wookie
11-03-2005, 12:42
Yes. And those serious people need a place to be seriously funny. :welcome

At the expense of whom?;)

Youngblood
11-03-2005, 14:10
At the expense of whom?;)
It looked to me like vigilante justice, internet style... a web lynching if you will where WhiteBlaze.net got highjacked for a while by a group high on hate to deal out their version of justice. Apparently this thread is to make what was done okay in some way? ... it doesn't for me, but that is just my humble opinion.

Youngblood

Bolo
11-03-2005, 14:19
I will continue to read the Goat's Thread, but I will categorically refuse to let him "get my goat."

orangebug
11-03-2005, 14:45
That was baaaaaaad.

Tha Wookie
11-03-2005, 16:51
It looked to me like vigilante justice, internet style... a web lynching if you will where WhiteBlaze.net got highjacked for a while by a group high on hate to deal out their version of justice. Apparently this thread is to make what was done okay in some way? ... it doesn't for me, but that is just my humble opinion.

Youngblood

No, I figured it out, if you missed it in the Goat thread:

They are the Swift Canoe Veterans.

They usually don't like to talk about the Kennebeck, but when they do it gets real nasty.

The Old Fhart
11-03-2005, 17:02
Tha Wookie-"No, I figured it out......." "They are the Swift ....." So it's no surprise that would make you the not so swift. :D

One Leg
11-03-2005, 18:41
*~PLEASE STAND FOR THE GOSPEL OF GOATEE~*

Billy the Kid and I were watching the Goatrix together, and decided that we'd rather watch the Goatfather insead. While we were watching the Goatfather, Billy's Princess Goat came in, offering us a goatbeer float. I opted for the Diet Goat instead.

While I was there, the landlord stopped by and gave Billy an eviction goatice.

So, that got us to thinking about hiking-uh-hooving the A.T., and Billy advised me that he's done it before, and has a wealth of wisdom when it comes to hooving the trail, and that he was going to start a wise-goat thread on WB. I thought it was a wonderful idea.

So, now he tells me about this negative aura floating in the air surrounding his thread. I tried to tell him that, perhaps, it was because he failed to clean out his stall, but he wouldn't hear any of it. He was going on and on about how goats get the short end of the stick.... I said "Yeah, Billy, because you ate the end that was offered. That's why it's short." I might as well have been speaking to the hoof, as he wouldn't hear any of it.

What really shocked me was hearing Goateemore Mack chime in with his $.02 worth in agreement with Billy. And, since Goateemore's so revered amongst hoovers of the A.T., I took notice of what he was saying, and now I'm convinced that goats aren't the bad guys here..... I'm so convinced that I started an online petition to save the goats. Won't you help? http://www.ipetitions.com/campaigns/Poor_Goats/

It's about goatdurn time someone steps up to help these poor guys.

Signed:
Lone Goat
Damnasskiss, Va.

smokymtnsteve
11-03-2005, 18:44
Thanks Be To The Goatman!

Tha Wookie
11-03-2005, 22:18
So it's no surprise that would make you the not so swift. :D

Taht's a stretch there, fart. don't hurt yourself:D

the goat
11-03-2005, 23:25
so this is the place for people who think that nasty goat is an a$$hole, huh? where do i sign up?

warren doyle
11-09-2005, 22:34
#1 Sgt. Rock With the start of this thread, it is now apparent whose side you are on.

#5 Frolicking Dinosaurs Nice interpretation.

#6 Tha Wookie An important question.

#7 Youngblood Excellent. Right to the point. It doesn't for me either.

#10 Tha Wookie Thanks again.

Happy trails to all!

Lugnut
11-10-2005, 01:21
It is too bad that when Warren Doyle started a serious thread with apparently honest intentions it was hijacked by the "usual suspects". It's even worse that now that same thread is being mocked. I doubt I'm the only one to notice this. :(

Sly
11-10-2005, 01:38
It is too bad that when Warren Doyle started a serious thread with apparently honest intentions it was hijacked by the "usual suspects". It's even worse that now that same thread is being mocked. I doubt I'm the only one to notice this. :(

I have a feeling when Warren started his post he knew full well what was coming.

There's plenty of people on this website that can answer ANY question a potential thru- or section hiker will have. It doesn't take but one thru- or section hike to know what's going on, if that.

Hubris at work. Although many have tried for the title, there is no one authority for hiking the trail.

SGT Rock
11-10-2005, 05:04
#1 Sgt. Rock With the start of this thread, it is now apparent whose side you are on.

I ain't on anyones "side"

The Old Fhart
11-10-2005, 08:26
SGT Rock-I ain't on anyones "side"Don't take it to heart, Sarge. Have you ever noticed how some people will blame everyone around them for their problems rather than accepting blame themselves?

Tha Wookie
11-10-2005, 08:33
Don't take it to heart, Sarge. Have you ever noticed how some people will blame everyone around them for their problems rather than accepting blame themselves?

Blame for what? the same three or four people comprising the SWIFT CANOE VETERANS?

Who else is there to blame? If it was said once, then fine, but 1000 times?

Everyone else wanted to hear what he had to say.

Except the usual suspects, who just want to hear themselves.

justusryans
11-10-2005, 08:36
I ain't on anyones "side"

That's not true! You're on our side! (America's) Happy almost Veteran's Day.
Friday, November 11th. Let's remember those who served and those who continue to serve on that date:clap

SGT Rock
11-10-2005, 08:36
the SWIFT CANOE VETERANS?

Now that is funny. I don't care who you are, that there is funny.:clap

Swift Canoe Veterans.:jump

If you can't laugh, you may as well just go start working for KBR. :D

justusryans
11-10-2005, 08:48
Now that is funny. I don't care who you are, that there is funny.:clap

Swift Canoe Veterans.:jump

If you can't laugh, you may as well just go start working for KBR. :D

Bless dem pygmy's in New Guinea!:D

Actually Sarge, I applied for a job with KBR as a truck driver. I figured I'd let them insurgents shoot at me all they wanted for $100,00.00 a year.
They told me they couldn't accept anyone who's on anti-psycotic drugs. Imagine that! Discrimination!!
I'm going to work for Blackwater when I get back though. Evidently I'm too crazy to drive a truck but they'll let me carry a gun! Figure that one out!

The Old Fhart
11-10-2005, 08:53
Tha Wookie-Who else is there to blame?So I see you agree that he should accept blame for his pontification. :D

SGT Rock
11-10-2005, 08:54
Bless dem pygmy's in New Guinea!:D

Actually Sarge, I applied for a job with KBR as a truck driver. I figured I'd let them insurgents shoot at me all they wanted for $100,00.00 a year.
They told me they couldn't accept anyone who's on anti-psycotic drugs. Imagine that! Discrimination!!
I'm going to work for Blackwater when I get back though. Evidently I'm too crazy to drive a truck but they'll let me carry a gun! Figure that one out!
Yea, I figure if I wanted too, I could work for KBR for a year after I retire and pay off my house. I have a friend that went to Afghanistan to do basically the same job he was doing for the Army (HHC First Sergeant) and they were offering him $167,000 - and that is in a tax free combat zone (I know at that rate, there are some taxes) in addition to his retirement. For one year I could do that and pay off my house, cars, and have a good chunk for a thru-hike.

But then again, my belief is we will be into, or done with the majority of troop reductions by the time I retire - so no big war job for me. I reckon I'll just have to make money just like everyone else.

TJ aka Teej
11-10-2005, 09:01
With the start of your "Warren Answers" thread it was obvious whose side *you* were on, Warren.
In the last few weeks some Whiteblaze threads you could have participated in but choose not to were about: stream fords in Maine, trails in North Carolina, sleeping bags, ground sheets, Thru-hiker surveys, Box Turtles, favorite quotes, mice, hostels and hiker behavior, ALDHA, wearing safety orange, New Jersey, first aid kits, Baxter, Springer, the trail's steepest mile, the SoRuck, raccoons, seam sealing, dogs, footwear, using gear at home, fear of darkness ghosts and heights, physical prep for an AT hike, homemade gear, LNT, water filtering, car camping, food options, stoves, Thanksgiving, health insurance, trail names, thru-hike definitions, inexpensive gear, questions for past thru-hikers, sleeping bags, tents, books, hike recommendations and questions on trails shelters towns and parks in your own area, bears, one pot meals, and car access to the trail.

I asked you early in your "Warren Answers" thread to contribute to the Articles Section here on Whiteblaze. You didn't. There's also an amazing photo gallery here you haven't participated in.

Warren, please consider the differences between participating and pontificating. We all make choices, but the cool part about being human is one can always change.

Tha Wookie
11-10-2005, 09:08
Ok, so we have two SWIFT CANOE VETERANS drawn back to the thread.

The others must sill be tossing in bed, dreaming of Warren.

Lugnut
11-10-2005, 09:43
We all make choices, but the cool part about being human is one can always change.

"I am a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess" ... Red Green :banana

shades of blue
11-10-2005, 10:03

Wook, you can disagree with someone, call them on it...without being slash and burn, smear tactics. Did TJ say anything that wasn't basically true? Has Warren participated in any other threads except for the one he started, and the humor goat threads or anti goat thread? (since he has returned to WB) Warren's thread has the feel of "come sit at the teacher's feet and I will educate you". While Warren has a lot to offer, and he really does....there are scores of others who have similar long term experience with the trail. I don't see them setting a thread saying I 'll answer all your questions. Jack Tarlin will offer to help people, but it's usually through his articles, or PM's and his interaction on a variety of threads. Warren could do the same.

Nean
11-10-2005, 10:28
Geez ums. It doesn't take long to fall out of the loop here on WB. Goats informative thread hijacked? And who is this Warren Doyle guy anyways- some backpacker I haven't heard about? It's no wonder Eric Ryback doesn't post here, word jugglers!

weary
11-10-2005, 10:28
Wook, you can disagree with someone, call them on it...without being slash and burn, smear tactics....Warren's thread has the feel of "come sit at the teacher's feet and I will educate you". While Warren has a lot to offer, and he really does.....
Well, these parts of the blue ones post are certainly true. Now if someone would explain why a few seemed driven to employ slash and burn, smear tactics to silence Warren.

Wingfoot censors a bit more elegantly than White Blaze, but the result, in this case at least, is the same.

Nean
11-10-2005, 10:33
What? Thread jugglers?!?

the goat
11-10-2005, 11:12
Wingfoot censors a bit more elegantly than White Blaze, but the result, in this case at least, is the same.

weary, you are like the sphinx in that this makes no sense.

you are unlike the sphinx in that no one will waste any time trying to decipher it.

The Old Fhart
11-10-2005, 11:22
The Goat-post#34 Right on!!:clap :clap

max patch
11-10-2005, 11:33
post deleted

Tha Wookie
11-10-2005, 12:05
Wook, you can disagree with someone, call them on it...without being slash and burn, smear tactics. Did TJ say anything that wasn't basically true? Has Warren participated in any other threads except for the one he started, and the humor goat threads or anti goat thread? (since he has returned to WB) Warren's thread has the feel of "come sit at the teacher's feet and I will educate you". While Warren has a lot to offer, and he really does....there are scores of others who have similar long term experience with the trail. I don't see them setting a thread saying I 'll answer all your questions. Jack Tarlin will offer to help people, but it's usually through his articles, or PM's and his interaction on a variety of threads. Warren could do the same.

I'm not smearing ANYONE's name. Do you see any names being smeared in my post above? If so, please tell me those names.

I'm commenting on those smearing Warren's name. I don't need to name them. Everyone here how's seen the reaction to naytime Warren posts knows what I'm talking about, except the SCV's who live on an alternate planet.

They can say what they want, and I'll keep calling them on it as I want. There's no excuse for it.

The Old Fhart
11-10-2005, 12:25
"I'm not smearing ANYONE's name. Do you see any names being smeared in my post above? If so, please tell me those names....I'm commenting on those smearing Warren's name." LOL! Sorry you get so easily offended by someone calling your master on facts. And you can't complain about this post because I didn't use any proper names! Pathetic attempt by you to obscurate.

weary
11-10-2005, 12:42
weary, you are like the sphinx in that this (Wingfoot censors a bit more elegantly than White Blaze, but the result, in this case at least, is the same.) makes no sense.
Well, as Old Fhart commented, and then forgot, "Just what part of 'closed' don't you understand?"

The Old Fhart
11-10-2005, 12:50
Weary-"Well, as Old Fhart commented, and then forgot, "Just what part of 'closed' don't you understand?" The Goat answered your post best when he said:
The Goat-"weary, you are like the sphinx in that this makes no sense.
you are unlike the sphinx in that no one will waste any time trying to decipher it.:D

Nightwalker
11-10-2005, 13:15
I have a feeling when Warren started his post he knew full well what was coming.
It was quite possible that it was even the intent. To increase his victim quotient.

The Old Fhart
11-10-2005, 13:19
Nightwalker-VQ, Bullseye!:)

Nightwalker
11-10-2005, 13:20
And with that stupid @ss comment, you probably helped a lot of folks decide a few things theirselves.

Happy trails, internegator.

:D

Nightwalker
11-10-2005, 13:26

Quit it. Being a jerk, even if you're accusing other folks of the same, is still being a jerk.

You're capable of contributing a lot more here than Boosh-bashing, Jack-bashing, TJ-bashing or bashing period. Basically, if you'll listen to yourself, you're saying "you're an @ss, so I'm one too." Let that be beneath you.

TJ aka Teej
11-10-2005, 16:32

Can't manage a response to the post, so you attack the poster?
How very Karl Rove of you, Wook.

Jack Tarlin
11-10-2005, 18:56
Wook, your whining today is even more laughable than your usual contributions.

You're missing the point, which is that nobody was driven away from here, muzzled, or censored in any way.

Mr. Doyle has precisely the same opportunity to contribute here as anyone else. There are thousands of other folks who visit this website, and they read and contribute to the threads that interest them, and ignore the rest.

Mr. Doyle still has this option, and in fact, he's always had it.

I find it interesting that his only contributions here in recent months were on his "own" private section of the website, and when this section ceased to be, so did his interest in contributing here. It's patently obvious that he was only interested in helping folks and "educating" prospective hikers if he could do so on HIS terms, from his own section, and from his own pulpit. Contributing as just another guy, just another voice, evidently wasn't good enough for him. When forced into being merely one other not-that-special contributor, he wished us happy Trails......but not missing the opportunity, I notice, to once again remind folks that he offers for sale the type of information that other trail veterans happily offer for free.

In short, Wook, it's very simple: People that wish to seek out Mr. Doyle's wit and wisdom can do so at his own website. People can also attend his so-called "Institute" and pay for his advice if that is their wish.

And of course, he's welcome to come by here anytime he wishes, and is welcome to speak on any topic that interests him. If he chooses not to do so, or chooses not to participate in Whiteblaze if he has to do so on the same level as everyone else, well that's HIS choice.

Repeat, it's HIS choice, Wook. So stop whining about it.

rickb
11-10-2005, 19:00
Good thing Earl Shaffer never found Whiteblaze.

the goat
11-10-2005, 19:06

i agree, someone would probably assert that he didn't walk the ENTIRE trail for one reason or another:cool:

rickb
11-10-2005, 19:10
He didn't Goat. Not on his first hike, anyway.

He failed to have his White Mountain maps mailed to him in a timely manor, and as a direct result took some alternative trails to that of the AT.

Some of today's purists hold themselves to a higher standard.

the goat
11-10-2005, 19:13
Some of today's purists hold themselves to a higher standard.

a higher standard, or a different standard?

rickb
11-10-2005, 19:21
Good point, Goat.

Jack Tarlin
11-10-2005, 19:22
Actually, Rick, were he computer literate, Earl might have enjoyed contributing here. Every time I ever met him, he was always enthusiastic about talking to prospective or former hikers; answering any or all questions; telling wonderful stories, and giving sage advice to anyone who asked..

And he did it in a very down-to-earth, extraordinarily modest fashion. He didn't want or expect to be up on a pedestal or pulpit, and he never ever talked down to people. Too much attention embarassed him.

Oh, and he never, to my knowledge, offered his advice, wisdom, or experience for sale, either.

He was a great man and I miss him.

rickb
11-10-2005, 19:30
I think you missed the point, Jack.

The question is whether or not some of us would have driven him off with our lack of sensitivity, and bull headed commentary. Repeated ad nausea.

Sad to think that we would have. After our shamelessness of late, I think that may well have been the case. Perhaps it would have started with an innocent conversation about Grandma Gatewood, or hardboiled eggs. Who knows.

Its our loss. But for his sake, I am glad he never experienced WB.

weary
11-10-2005, 19:37
It was quite possible that it was even the intent. To increase his victim quotient.
Nightwalker. Please explain. Because frankly I don't know what you mean by your suspicion that Warren Doyle sought to increase his "victim quotient."

Warren strikes me as one of the most successful long distance hikers in modern times. 27,000 miles on the AT; a succesful parttime business peddling AT information: fulltime employment teaching "appalachian studies;" and at least a break even business of leading mostly successful thru hikes.

His hikes, Nightwalker, may not be ones you or I would prefer, or dream of accomplishing -- though with my medical malpractice diminished lung capacity, I'm increansingly tempted -- that is no reason to condemn the man as several on this list persist in doing. Certainly it is not a reason to speculate that he posts simply to increase his "victim quotient" whatever that may mean. Sorry. if I'm wrong. I'm not skilled at psychobabble.

Like him, or hate him. But let's not distort what he is telling us or speculate on his pschological motives without at least some evidence, or at least a bit more than a simple accusation.

Weary

Jack Tarlin
11-10-2005, 19:46
Actually, Earl was pretty thick-skinned, and a lot tougher than any of us here.

I don't think he'd have "been driven off" by the dialogue here, Rick, just as no one else has been. There are thousands of members here at Whiteblaze, all of who can contribute as equals any time they wish to. And if they choose NOT to do so, well that's their choice, too.

The Old Fhart
11-10-2005, 20:17
Rickboudrie-"The question is whether or not some of us would have driven him off with our lack of sensitivity, and bull headed commentary. Repeated ad nausea." The person most likely to offend him, who continually repeated his oulandish claims has...all I'll say is: "Elvis has left the building." ;)

Weary-"But let's not distort what he is telling us or speculate on his pschological motives without at least some evidence, or at least a bit more than a simple accusation." Try reading the posts, Weary, quoting the exact words of the master isn't "speculation", unless you are claiming he's lying! :D

SGT Rock
11-10-2005, 21:01
You know, it strikes me as odd that we are now using arguments about what someone that is dead might of thought of something as fairly childish in some sort of attempt to win a verbal chess game. You might as well ask what would Jesus think of the WhiteBlaze.:rolleyes:

Anyway, how about this?

Stop your personal bickering.:cool:

Stop bickering about who did what to whom, when, how, and for what reason. See, there is also the possibility that Earl would never have come to WhiteBlaze because it wouldn't interest him in the first place. :eek:

Seems that the folks arguing this one are the same folks that argue a lot of other points to the ground, and then below it (and I do include myself in some of that at times). It seems they would rather beat everyone about the head an neck with their opinion on things than to get off of subjects and let them die a natural death. Imagine this: there are a lot of multi-thru hike guys out there that post on the WhiteBlaze and there are a lot that don't even come here that know about it, and there are those that have come here that quit. There are a lot of all sorts. All are equal on the WhiteBlaze including the novice that just started with 2 miles (CynJ please stand up):D And part of joining a group with social norms, like this one, is you can cause yourself to be the target of resentment when you appear to be playing by different rules. Go figure that people see someone setting themselves up on a thread like Warren did a break with the informal social norms of the board. But anyway, I'm sure that will only cause some of y'all to see that as me cutting on Warren when it is simply a statement of fact.

Warren is more than welcome here. I think he and I agreed at one time in a talk about fording rivers although I wouldn't recommend it for everyone. To think I am not on his side is to assume I even see him as a side. I just see him as another hiker here posting on the WhiteBlaze, just like Jack, just like someone such as Seiko if he came here, just like Brian Robinson if he ever came here, just like Ray Jardine if he ever came here, just like any other famous backpacker or multiple thru-hiker. It is just that this is a forum with it's own culture and cultural norms. No one is sacred or special here, hell, not even the Admins. To come here and expect you will be special or to want someone to be special has never been the way all of you have acted in the past. I find it hypocritical that some of the same one that find the bickering objectionable are the same ones that have told me or others to lighten up in the past, or how sacred cow tastes better, or whatever quip you thought was cute until your personal territory got stepped into.

You may think Warren has been "run off" but that is only if he allows himself to be run off. He can still post here and I would hope he does. Of course I would hope I am not labeled as being "against him" because I find it patently silly to imagine I have it out for anyone in particular in the first place, well at least on the forum. There have been some officers in the Army, but that is a whole nother subject :p but anyway....

And for those that dog Warren and challenge him to answer and drag on every comment simply because of whatever reason, I personally feel he showed great restraint by simply ignoring people and staying focused on topics. In fact, there is a function on the forum called "ignore this user" where anyone can chose to ignore all posts made by any specific person. If Warren chose to put someone on Ignore, then he will logically never respond to your posts because ---- He cannot read them! To keep at him because he doesn't respond seems sort of like yelling at a wall to acknowledge your presence - sort of foolish to continue after the first couple of times.

Anyway. I probably just wasted 5 minutes typing that. I'm sure it will be ignored and the fray will continue.

Kerosene
11-10-2005, 21:14
At least my daughter thinks I'm special... :rolleyes:

smokymtnsteve
11-10-2005, 21:21
to die a natural death,,,

ah, what a unique and refreshing idea ;)

warm here today..temps in the low teens :cool:

Nightwalker
11-10-2005, 21:33
Anyway. I probably just wasted 5 minutes typing that. I'm sure it will be ignored and the fray will continue.
(Clapping hands repeatedly over ears while going la-la-la-la.)
What's that? Can't hear you. :bse :jump :D

weary
11-10-2005, 21:37
The person most likely to offend him, who continually repeated his oulandish claims has...all I'll say is: "Elvis has left the building." ;)

Try reading the posts, Weary, quoting the exact words of the master isn't "speculation", unless you are claiming he's lying! :D
Well, old Fhart, I've read Warrens posts, chatted with him in person, and talked with a few of those who have hiked with him over the decades.

I see nothing that strikes me that the visious attacks on Warren as a leader, and Warren as philospher of the trail are warranted. It is not up to me to prove a negative, which as honest people will agree is impossible. I suggest it is his distractors duty to cite where they think Warren Doyle has been destructive of the trail and of the trail environment.

And no, a recitiation of the distortions of warrens previous comments proves nothing to the few of us still able to both comment as well as think. I truly am fascinated by the ability of otherwise rational people to fall into "group think," whenever it helps obscure their prejudices.

Weary

Jack Tarlin
11-10-2005, 21:52
What you want cited, Weary, has BEEN cited time and time again, here and elsewhere, and I see absolutely no reason for us to go down that road again.

Perhaps you find the subject of the lamentable and un-lamented Mr. Doyle "fascinating," but I assure you that most folks here would much rather discuss something else.

weary
11-10-2005, 21:54
Well, Sarge. My comments have been an attempt to head off a new trend on White Blaze, a trend that you participated in for reasons I can only speculate about.

But it is not wise for White Blaze to cancel a perfectly legitimate thread because a few distorted what was being said, for reasons they never made clear.

Nor is it wise to replace a perfectly legitimate, but hijacked thread, with a parody of the hijacked thread. Especially if the goal is a forum that mostly discusses legitimate trail issues.

Weary

Jack Tarlin
11-10-2005, 22:07
It's Rock's site, unless you hadn't noticed, Weary.

It's legitimate for him to administer it in any way he sees fit.

People unhappy with this can learn to deal with it, or they're welcome to go elsewhere.

You're missing the crucial point, Weary, that if Warren Doyle wishes to discuss "legitimate trail issues" he's more than welcome to do so anytime he wishes to, anywhere on this site. If he doesn't want to, or if he only deigns to participate on his "special" section of the site, well that's HIS decision. He's welcome to participate here as an equal, along with the thousands of other Whiteblaze members who don't expect special privileges or personal sections of this site. And if that's not good enough for Mr. Doyle, that's HIS problem.

What Rock did was perfectly reasonable, and perfectly well explained.

Deal with it.

SGT Rock
11-10-2005, 22:14
Well, Sarge. My comments have been an attempt to head off a new trend on White Blaze, a trend that you participated in for reasons I can only speculate about.
Well dang, if you have an issue, dirctly address me with it if it bothers you. I have no thin skin. But I do have things I do where I feel it is in the best interests of the site, and then again, sometimes I let myself get drawn into verbal chess games. I am making an attempt to stay out of them now.

But it is not wise for White Blaze to cancel a perfectly legitimate thread because a few distorted what was being said, for reasons they never made clear.
Well if you read my maybe three of four posts in that thread, one welcomed Warren back, one said I wish I could take the chaff from the wheat when I came back to the mess it had become, one was a rebuke of something someone else (not Warren) said something that made no sense, and the last one closed the thread that I found would probably just put people off of the whole mess and took it off the board because it was so ugly. I never had a hidden agenda or an agenda against someone.

Nor is it wise to replace a perfectly legitimate, but hijacked thread, with a parody of the hijacked thread. Especially if the goal is a forum that mostly discusses legitimate trail issues.

Weary
And I don't feel that this thread you mentioned did replace it. Just humor. I even moved it there to make it known how it was perceived. And that humor forum has been here a while without a complaint. So your issue is with how you perceive I treated Warren?

The Old Fhart
11-10-2005, 22:27
Weary, As usual, your post #61 completely missed the point, I suggested you should read OTHER people's posts, your reply is totally meaningless (see post #34 for explanation).

As far as distortions you mentioned, I have tried to clear those up with direct quotes, but you obviously missed or ignored all those as well.

And, Sarge did not "replace a perfectly legitimate, but hijacked thread, with a parody of the hijacked thread", He reclaimed the thread and restored order. I've heard he actually knows something about stoves also! :D

sierraDoug
11-10-2005, 22:30
Thanks to all of you here for providing such a great alternative to daytime TV programming. This is like a reality soap opera. Great fun.

sierraDoug
11-10-2005, 22:32
BTW, who's this "Warren" guy?

Tha Wookie
11-10-2005, 22:33
.......I see absolutely no reason for us to go down that road again.

Cheers, Jack. I'm with you.

:clap

TJ aka Teej
11-10-2005, 22:35
I suggest it is his distractors duty to cite where they think Warren Doyle has been destructive of the trail and of the trail environment.

The detractors haved cited such. Whereupon the distractors attacked them for responding to the very topics, history, and opinons Warren has introduced here.
Weary, I'm willing to accept that you, Wook, and Rick approve of theft, fraud, childish grudges, tantrums, boorish behavior and pomposity. I hope you're all willing to accept that I, and many others, do not.
Let's just agree to disagree.

Heater
11-10-2005, 22:55
This thread has turned into a clone of the original.
:datz

SGT Rock
11-10-2005, 23:00
This thread has turned into a clone of the original.
Ain't that the truth.:o

rickb
11-10-2005, 23:06
I agree.

My "vote" (even though I recognize this to be a benevolent dictatorship) is that this thread be killed/locked and then moved out of the humor category and place in the off topic category.

It deserves to be with its clone.

SGT Rock
11-10-2005, 23:10
I agree.

My "vote" (even though I recognize this to be a benevolent dictatorship) is that this thread be killed/locked and then moved out of the humor category and place in the off topic category.

It deserves to be with its clone.

LOL. OK I can agree with that. But since we have "sides" lets hear from both of 'em that they agree to let this crap die with this thread, and then I'll send it off to the thread graveyard. :p

The Old Fhart
11-10-2005, 23:16
I hate to say I agree with Rick but I vote to kill it as well as the "Final thread post - #1377" thread which is even more blatant and serves no purpose (or dolphin). :D

SGT Rock
11-10-2005, 23:19
Since we are into naming posts LOL. (God, what the hell is going on in this world?) I must amend my post #65. I think I had more like 5 or 6 posts. And one was to say that I checked the records and the dead thread (rhymes, funny ain't it) was indeed the longest thread ever on WhiteBlaze.

God, now y'all have me doing it. Maybe I should resign as an admin and turn into a troll for the site just to make y'all happy.

SGT Rock
11-10-2005, 23:21
And to clarify my position in post #76. I was kidding about quitting and becoming a troll. This is the humor forum y'all. Lighten up - OR ELSE! :(

The Old Fhart
11-10-2005, 23:23
(click heels together) YAS SIR! :D

rickb
11-10-2005, 23:24
I'm not sure if we will get a quorum tonight. Perhaps Ambassador Fhart and I could contact our respective sides, and we could sit down and discuss the matter.

I mus insist on a round table, however.

SGT Rock
11-10-2005, 23:27
BTW, I have become so confused as to who is on what side, which side where you on again rick :D

Ain't this freakin' ridiculous for adults to be acting like this :datz

And someone remind me which side I was supposed to be on here too. I have forgotten :p

dixicritter
11-10-2005, 23:28
Y'all can all be on my side and find something funny to say now. ;)

Heater
11-10-2005, 23:37
And someone remind me which side I was supposed to be on here too. I have forgotten :p

The good side... or was it the right side? :confused:
No, the right sounds too political.
Better stay with the "good" side. :cool:

rickb
11-10-2005, 23:40
I'm from the North.

SGT Rock
11-10-2005, 23:41
I'm from the North.
Oh damn, I agreed with a yankee. Just wait 'till the boys in the 278th hear about this, I won't be able to get in the door anymore.:rolleyes:

smokymtnsteve
11-10-2005, 23:57
And to clarify my position in post #76. I was kidding about quitting and becoming a troll. This is the humor forum y'all. Lighten up - OR ELSE! :(

dont worry sarge I light'em up all the time :eek:

Tha Wookie
11-11-2005, 00:17
Oh damn, I agreed with a yankee. Just wait 'till the boys in the 278th hear about this, I won't be able to get in the door anymore.:rolleyes:

Say it ain't so! :p

Lugnut
11-11-2005, 01:28
...most folks here would much rather discuss something else.

Then why are we still discussing it? I am probably like most everyone else here in that I have never met Warren Doyle and wouldn't know him if I saw him. So, I am not a shill. It just seems that perception-wise (is that a word) he came out the good guy. He came in peace, as they say in the movies, and was jumped on without apparent reason other than some old, worn accusations that may, or may not, be true. He took the high road and made his detractors appear as whinners. Even though Warren Doyle may be the devil his accusers claim I doubt that many were convinced. You continue to embarrass yourselves. It's become like kids on the playground. That's the really sad part.

justusryans
11-11-2005, 03:15

And I thought so well of you too...:D

justusryans
11-11-2005, 03:17
dont worry sarge I light'em up all the time :eek:

light im if ya got em:D no, wait ! i ain't got im:eek: :(

Lone Wolf
11-11-2005, 09:22
NO S**T! Imagine the ass kissing that would go on. And Jack you know damn well you'd be at the front of the pack.

weary
11-11-2005, 10:10
BTW, who's this "Warren" guy?
For an impartial look, see:

http://www.aldha.org/doyle.htm

CynJ
11-11-2005, 10:28
Figured I'd kick in my nickel's worth from the "newbie" perspective if you will.

I am relatively new to WB but I belong to several online communities - and I gotta tell you that sniping and snarking are the biggest turn off to new members and lurkers in all forums.

I don't know anyone here on WB personally - and it really took me a while to get all the players straight in the whole WD thread. My take on it? To set up your own thread like that felt a little egotistical to me. Then I read his bit on "internegators" and I rolled my eyes and said to myself "oh he's one of those". Meaning people that fade in and out of forums if they don't like people disagreeing with them. But I read on.

Then the sniping & snarking started - not just at WD, it was two sides squaring off. lol....duck!

So here's the deal - I think everyone here at WB has something to contribute (even Dashwartz has contributed a couple of posts that were useful and non-snarky). I never turn down a source of information. But it is up to me as an free thinking being to decide for myself if that information is useful or bunk.

I can be just as steadfast and stubborn on my own personal opinions as the next person -for examples see the closed "dogs on the trail" thread. But the trick is to not make it personal. We can all argue points/issues without the name-calling and hurtful remarks.

Someone commented to me that they were amazed that the threads I start don't get hijacked and that people answer the question. I think that is in part to the fact that I ask a specific question looking for answers. Most of them are on pretty non-inflammatory topics.

I would advise people that post threads that are potentially inflammatory to expect them to go off track and to also expect that they can get nasty. WD set himself up in many ways for the sniping by posting that thread. He is an intelligent person and had to know that it would. And I hope he decides to post in other threads that are asking specific questions, because I do think he has something to contribute. As do we all.

BJ has been very welcoming to me here on WB, along with many others. And I am really looking forward to meeting him and other WB people in person. :) And who knows - the folks I get along well with here online may not be folks I get along with in person. lol....

But for now I suggest that everyone quit yer snarking, go back and look up some threads by newbies looking for help and answer their questions. :D

SGT Rock
11-11-2005, 10:30
Outstanding post CynJ!

Thanks. :D

Almost There
11-11-2005, 10:40
And to clarify my position in post #76. I was kidding about quitting and becoming a troll. This is the humor forum y'all. Lighten up - OR ELSE!

Trolls are cool, they have waterfront property under bridges!

Oh and as Jester's capering little monkey I fling poo at you all!http://www.allemoticons.com/Animals/Animals_888.gif

Almost There
11-11-2005, 10:44
Oh, yeah and Old Phart here is an emoticon just for you!

http://www.allemoticons.com/People/OldFart.gif

D'Artagnan
11-11-2005, 11:43
Since this is on the humor site and in the hopes of cleansing the palate a bit, I offer the following:

A cabbie picks up a Nun. She gets into the cab and notices that the very handsome cab driver won't stop staring at her. She asks him why he is staring. He replies, "I have a question to ask you, but I don't want to offend you." She answers, "My son, you cannot offend me. When you're as old as I am and have been a nun as long as I have, you get a chance to see and hear just about everything. I'm sure that there's nothing you could say or ask that I would find offensive."

"Well, I've always had a fantasy to have a nun kiss me," he said. She responds, "Well, lets see what we can do about that: #1, you have to be single and #2, you must be Catholic." The cab driver is very excited and says "Yes, I'm single and Catholic!"

"OK" the nun says. "Pull into the next alley." The nun fulfills the cab driver's fantasy with a kiss that would make a hooker blush. But when they get back on the road, the cab driver starts crying. "My dear child," said the nun, "why are you crying?"

"Forgive me but I have sinned. I lied and I must confess, I'm married and I'm Jewish."

The nun says, "That OK. My name is Kevin and I'm going to a Halloween party."

Dances with Mice
11-11-2005, 12:29
Dammit, D'Artagnan, that's the last time I'm giving you a ride. You promised me you'd never tell anyone else that story.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-11-2005, 12:38
Goat is enjoying the humor
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/prinier/happygoat.jpg

Almost There
11-11-2005, 13:59
Dangit, Dances I thought you kept looking at my knee under my kilt Saturday while you were shuttling me, thank god Skidsteer was there!

Dances with Mice
11-11-2005, 14:08
Dangit, Dances I thought you kept looking at my knee under my kilt Saturday while you were shuttling me, thank god Skidsteer was there!Watch it, buddy. I've got pictures of you in a skirt and I know which wrestling team you coach...

Almost There
11-11-2005, 14:16
Watch it, buddy. I've got pictures of you in a skirt and I know which wrestling team you coach...

You are truly evil!!!http://www.allemoticons.com/Evil/flame.gif, so I guess it's Mum's the word and Flame on buddy, Flame on!!! BTW what kind of dancing do you do exactly with mice?

the goat
11-11-2005, 14:34

i'm usually more photogenic than this....really.....this was taken early in the a.m. & i'm not a morning person.......******* paparazzi.....

CynJ
11-11-2005, 14:58
i'm usually more photogenic than this....really.....this was taken early in the a.m. & i'm not a morning person.......******* paparazzi.....

shouldn't that be spelled "goatdamn paparazzi"?!?

http://www.geocities.com/cynjendrejcak/smilies/brainfart.gif

Dances with Mice
11-11-2005, 15:01
BTW what kind of dancing do you do exactly with mice?.........Contra.

Mags
11-11-2005, 15:29
Y'all can all be on my side and find something funny to say now. ;)
Don't know if it is funny... :)

Why did the goat cross the road?

PAT BUCHANAN:
To steal a job from a decent, hardworking American.

DR. SEUSS:
Did the goat cross the road? Did he cross it with a toad? Yes! The goat crossed the road, but why it crossed, I've not been told!

ERNEST HEMINGWAY:
To die. In the cold rain. Alone.

MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.:
I envision a world where all goats will be free to cross roads without having their motives called into question.

ARISTOTLE:
It is the nature of goats to cross the road.

KARL MARX:
It was a historical inevitability.

RONALD REAGAN:
What goat?

CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK:
To boldly go where no goat has gone before.

FOX MULDER:
You saw it cross the road with your own eyes. How many more goats have to cross before you believe it?

SIGMUND FREUD:
The fact that you are at all concerned that the goat crossed the road reveals your underlying sexual insecurity.

BILL GATES:
I have just released egoat XP, which will not only cross roads but will eat your trash, file your important documents, and balance your checkbook-and Internet Explorer is an inextricable part of egoat.

ALBERT EINSTEIN:
Did the goat really cross the road or did the road move beneath the goat?

BILL CLINTON:
I did not cross the road with THAT goat. What do you mean by goat? Could you define goat please?

AL GORE:
Were you aware that I invented goat way back in 1978?

DAN QUAYLE:
I believe it's actually spelled g-o-a-t-e.

LOUIS FARRAKHAN:
The road, you will see, represents the black man. The goat crossed the "black man" in order to trample him and keep him down.

GOAT FARMER:
I missed one?

I just realized, I'll be accssed of slamming of great philosophers, great presidents and great writers now. There should be enough to tick off the liberals and conservatives among us equally. ;)

D'Artagnan
11-11-2005, 16:24
Ahhh, an equal opportunity offender -- the bliss! ;)

CynJ
11-11-2005, 16:37

Is it me or does this fine fellow look like he's had either a little too much SoCo or maybe he ate one too many "special" brownies? :eek:

:jump

rhjanes
11-11-2005, 16:41
my version of xGoat just locked up and.......................... :confused:

the goat
11-11-2005, 16:44
goats love special brownies.......in fact if you ever encounter the goat on the trail please share any special brownies you might have with him.....just make sure he walks in the right direction when starts hiking again:D

justusryans
11-11-2005, 19:53
special brownies ....... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ...

sierraDoug
11-11-2005, 20:13
"He who does not seek advice is a fool."

Kahlil Gibran

Obviously this is your passive aggressive, underhanded way of criticizing the great wise man Warren Doyle.

(Sorry, couldn't resist. :D )

Almost There
11-11-2005, 20:19
Wisdom is subjective, as is foolishness.

Oh and Dances, you and I would never work, I don't Contra.

justusryans
11-11-2005, 20:26
"He who does not seek advice is a fool."

Kahlil Gibran

Obviously this is your passive aggressive, underhanded way of criticizing the great wise man Warren Doyle.

(Sorry, couldn't resist. :D )

oooh, you hurt my widdle feewlins, and I'm soooooo sensetives!!:bse

I define passive aggressive damnit! , or do i:banana

Dances with Mice
11-11-2005, 20:36
Oh and Dances, you and I would never work, I don't Contra.Well, it's your call. (That's an inside joke among contrarians.)

Tha Wookie
11-11-2005, 22:24
Is it me or does this fine fellow look like he's had either a little too much SoCo or maybe he ate one too many "special" brownies? :eek:

:jump

Lol... maybe he's been nibbling around the back of Steve's cabin

Nightwalker
11-12-2005, 12:17
BTW, I have become so confused as to who is on what side, which side where you on again rick :D

Ain't this freakin' ridiculous for adults to be acting like this :datz

I remember a time very recently when I didn't have a side. I think I'd like to go back to that one.

Just got my feelings hurt and took it personal when folks started whopping on my friends. Not like they couldn't take care o' theirselves or nothing...

Blister
11-12-2005, 14:34
#105 Mags - I loved your entry, however when hiking with van support you must contribute to gas money.
#102 Cute goat - pass the SoCo over here.
#109 Special Brownies - be sure that I send you my next mail drop list.
#114 Hee hee, ha ha that was cute
#116 to hell with sides, although sex is better on the dark side, why be a purist.
What the hell is this post about - absolutley nothing.

Jack Tarlin
11-12-2005, 14:41
Various Whiteblazers respond to "Why did the Goat cross the road?"

Sgt Rock: "Because he was ORDERED to cross, that's why, and he'll keep
crossing it until relieved."

Weary: "He crossed it in order to give to the Maine Land Trust. And so should all of you!"

Lone Wolf: "Who gives a **** about a ******* goat anyway? Get a life!"

Ferryman: "According to our records, this was the four hundred and ninth goat to cross this year in that direction, down 24% from last year's figures."

Smoky Mountain Steve: "He crossed it to attend a Legalize Weed rally in
Juneau. With Edward Abbey!"

Neo: "He crossed it to go buy a Jet Boil!"

Rocks 'n Roots: "In his insistence on travelling by road, he's proven once and for all time that he doesn't really know what Benton MacKaye intended or expected when one arrived at a road, and this further shows his contempt and ignorance about what the Trail really means."

Wingfoot: "Having been previously warned about how goat-hikers should cross the road, and due to your insistence on ignoring this advice, you are no longer welcome at Trailplace."

Wookie: "The mindset here, and the arrogance of crossing here, is merely another wretched example of the naked puppet thuggery of our jackbooted, greed-driven, arrogant, tabloid-reading, fascist administration, and displays yet again why the rest of the world hates us."

Warren Doyle: "I'm glad to see the goat conquering his fears and making up is own mind, free from the ties and constraints of those who wish to control our every waking moment. Oh, and there's another reason he crossed there. That's where the van was parked for the night. Happy Trails!"

Old Fhart: "The Goat is irrelevant and you don't know what the hell you're talking about, Doyle!"

Rick Boudrie: "The incivility displayed in the above post is sad to see; it's a pity to see this tone of language, and it's just another attempt to hijack a well-meaning and well-intended thread. By the way, what were we talking about, anyway?"

Jack T. "Did you know that this road was crossed by men under the command of John Singleton Mosby, on the night of 22 April, 1864, just before the skirmish at Fiskerton Ford? There were sixteen causualties, mostly from spider bites and indigestion. And concidentally, I have no degree in history and no expertise in the subject. I just enjoy making this s*** up."

And on that note, it's my birthday, and it's a beautiful afternoon. I'm going for a walk and will see you guys later.

Lumberjack
11-12-2005, 15:46
It was that goats fault.....

weary
11-12-2005, 15:50
And on that note, it's my birthday, and it's a beautiful afternoon. I'm going for a walk and will see you guys later.
Happy birthday walking Jack. And thanks for the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust plug.

Weary www.matlt.org

the goat
11-12-2005, 16:55
Jack- your "why did goat crossing the road" post has this goat laughing his goat-a$$ off! that's truely priceless, man.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACK!!!

TJ aka Teej
11-12-2005, 17:56
it's my birthday

Many birthday blessings, Jack!

Tha Wookie
11-13-2005, 03:45
Various Whiteblazers respond to "Why did the Goat cross the road?"

Weary: "He crossed it in order to give to the Maine Land Trust. And so should all of you!"

Lone Wolf: "Who gives a **** about a ******* goat anyway? Get a life!"

Ferryman: "According to our records, this was the four hundred and ninth goat to cross this year in that direction, down 24% from last year's figures."

Smoky Mountain Steve: "He crossed it to attend a Legalize Weed rally in
Juneau. With Edward Abbey!"

Neo: "He crossed it to go buy a Jet Boil!"

Rocks 'n Roots: "In his insistence on travelling by road, he's proven once and for all time that he doesn't really know what Benton MacKaye intended or expected when one arrived at a road, and this further shows his contempt and ignorance about what the Trail really means."

Wingfoot: "Having been previously warned about how goat-hikers should cross the road, and due to your insistence on ignoring this advice, you are no longer welcome at Trailplace."

Wookie: "The mindset here, and the arrogance of crossing here, is merely another wretched example of the naked puppet thuggery of our jackbooted, greed-driven, arrogant, tabloid-reading, fascist administration, and displays yet again why the rest of the world hates us."

Warren Doyle: "I'm glad to see the goat conquering his fears and making up is own mind, free from the ties and constraints of those who wish to control our every waking moment. Oh, and there's another reason he crossed there. That's where the van was parked for the night. Happy Trails!"

Old Fhart: "The Goat is irrelevant and you don't know what the hell you're talking about, Doyle!"

Rick Boudrie: "The incivility displayed in the above post is sad to see; it's a pity to see this tone of language, and it's just another attempt to hijack a well-meaning and well-intended thread. By the way, what were we talking about, anyway?"

Jack T. "Did you know that this road was crossed by men under the command of John Singleton Mosby, on the night of 22 April, 1864, just before the skirmish at Fiskerton Ford? There were sixteen causualties, mostly from spider bites and indigestion. And concidentally, I have no degree in history and no expertise in the subject. I just enjoy making this s*** up."

I love you man. No man I REALLY love you!

SGT Rock
11-13-2005, 16:25

And he better know his three General Orders if stopped by the Commander of the Relief!

1. I will eat everything within the limits of my post and quit my post only when properly relived.

2. I will eat anything with special odors and perform all my duties in a goat-like manner.

3. I will report any "violations";) , special odors, emergencies, and anything not eaten at my post to the commander of the relief.

warren doyle
11-14-2005, 00:23
#57; #65 SGTRock - very good posts. You do have a difficult job helping to administer this website.

#30 shadesofblue68 - Good post. However, I've been down this road several times and have gotten the same results. I was hoping it would be different this time but it wasn't.

To Lugnut (#17; #87); Tha Wookie (#21; #28; #37); weary (#32; #54; #61; #63); rickboudrie (#53):
A heartfelt thanks for your continued wisdom and/or support. I appreciate your contributions to these threads.

Happy trails!

Tha Wookie
11-14-2005, 01:52
To Lugnut (#17; #87); Tha Wookie (#21; #28; #37); weary (#32; #54; #61; #63); rickboudrie (#53):
A heartfelt thanks for your continued wisdom and/or support. I appreciate your contributions to these threads.

Happy trails!

You're welcome, Warren.

But I want to be clear that I'm not on any side in this. I realize I don't have, no do I want to have, all the facts. When people say certain vile and cruel things about my friend Jack, I also speak up on his behalf. I respect highly just about everyone on this site. No one deserves to be hounded consistently with such negative lashes as you and he get some time. People who do that really have problems.

In general, I think the personal smearing of other hikers on internet forums is about the most lame activity I could dream of. Such people either have big problems getting girlfriends/wives or they have really sad ones. Saying things about Bush or Michael Moore is fair game IMOP, but we all know each other here, generally, and I think it's reasonable to treat each other with at least a shred of class (at least that's how I learned it in Georgia).

I always have the back of anyone getting personally drilled like that. Not only is it unescesary, it's repugnant.

It's funny to me how the men with the greatest contributions to the hiking community also are the most ridiculed.

By the way, thanks for creating ALDHA, and thanks for encouraging Ray to create the west chapter.

We all owe you a debt of gratitude.

The Old Fhart
11-14-2005, 08:24
Tha Wookie-"In general, I think the personal smearing of other hikers on internet forums is about the most lame activity I could dream of." You immediately followed this quote by a personal smear at all those posters who you disagree with: "Such people either have big problems getting girlfriends/wives or they have really sad ones." But even this isn't as lame as the poster who tried to drag a 1972 "Swift Canoe" smear into the thread- oh wait, that was you also!

Hope you resolve your big problems and have better luck in the future getting girlfriends/wifes! :D You can't preach about taking the high road from the gutter. Not only is it unnecessary, it's repugnant.

Lumberjack
11-14-2005, 10:09
Get a room .......

Almost There
11-14-2005, 10:10
You immediately followed this quote by a personal smear at all those posters who you disagree with: "Such people either have big problems getting girlfriends/wives or they have really sad ones." But even this isn't as lame as the poster who tried to drag a 1972 "Swift Canoe" smear into the thread- oh wait, that was you also!

Hope you resolve your big problems and have better luck in the future getting girlfriends/wifes! :D You can't preach about taking the high road from the gutter. Not only is it unnecessary, it's repugnant.

Phart, you need to take a seat on the toilet and get it out! Anyone can see from above that there is no personal smear involved. In order for it to be a personal smear, the smear has to target someone in particular, like the specific attacks on Warren or Jack. Come on man you are a better debater than this. I actually thought Wook made a good point....and I believe the Swift Canoe thing was a joke in a humor forum.

I'll stop now because defending people makes the monkey in me angry...and you wouldn't want to see the monkey angry!

Almost There
11-14-2005, 10:12
Oh yeah! and I spelled your name wrong!!! I meant to do that! (Not really, but it's fun to say so!)

The Old Fhart
11-14-2005, 11:19
Almost There-"In order for it to be a personal smear, the smear has to target someone in particular................" If you're also a good debater than you have to agree that when "anyone" posts that "no hiker" is above the law and can't cheat people up and down the trail, they are referring to any hiker and "no one" should assume it is directed at any one person. Also no one person's activities or comments can be considered off limit to criticism as your post directed at me would indicate.;)

And no one can take a seat on the toilet and then post it here saying it smells like a rose like a "previous poster" did.;) You can't have it both ways.

I hope this post was impersonal and generic enough to pass your litmus test! Please also note this is a post in a humor forum. :D

Almost There
11-14-2005, 11:32
Also no one person's activities or comments can be considered off limit to criticism as your post directed at me would indicate.;)

I gotcha man, and I'm not suggesting that you can't criticize someone, all I was saying is that I don't think that Wook was trying to make a personal attack with his last post, now as far as past posts that may be something else entirely. I was merely classifying what a personal smear is. I also no where said you cant personally go after someone, that is entirely your choice, and if that is what you want to do, then by all means do so.

I prefer to do it with tongue-in-cheek humor, but you can do it however you want.:banana

The Old Fhart
11-14-2005, 12:44
Almost There-"all I was saying is that I don't think that Wook was trying to make a personal attack with his last post" OK, so he was targeting a small group (smaller than an ethnic group, granted), or a few people he dislikes, but the point is that he criticizes attacking others then in the next sentence attacks others-DUH! Don't get hung up on the word "personal". I didn't take it personally anymore than I take a mosquito bite personal, doesn't mean I'm not going to swat the little bugger.:D
Almost There-"I prefer to do it with tongue-in-cheek humor, but you can do it however you want." I'll stick to direct quotes. hard facts, and tongue-in-cheek humor. If others want to ignore or distort facts, "someone" will call them on it!;)

Tha Wookie
11-14-2005, 12:46
I gotcha man, and I'm not suggesting that you can't criticize someone, all I was saying is that I don't think that Wook was trying to make a personal attack with his last post, now as far as past posts that may be something else entirely. I was merely classifying what a personal smear is. I also no where said you cant personally go after someone, that is entirely your choice, and if that is what you want to do, then by all means do so.

I prefer to do it with tongue-in-cheek humor, but you can do it however you want.:banana

You're right, I didn't mean anything personal, but was rather expressing what I think about personal attacks. That's exactly why I didn't name any person, but rather the general act carried out by persons.

You just have to remember, that some people get very emotional when others stand up to the smearing. It interferes with their personal agendas.

You'd think that some people are running for office.

Nean
11-14-2005, 13:10
I laugh so hard here on WB!:jump Many thanks to all.:clap Interesting the difference between smear and humor. I think I have it figured out.
If something said is personal, then its said to be a smear and we wax pathetic about how mean those name callers are, get angry, even threaten to take our toys home. Maybe make some insinuations.:dance I've been AMAZED at how low people can go. I'm told it's human nature!:eek:
If it's not taken personally; then we can sit back and LOL!:banana
BTW Wookie, the ALDHA franchise "Western States Chapter" began and ended with RJardine. Myself and about 100 others started another, the ALDHA-West (no chapter) of today. In fact, Mr. J refused to help in any way AND went out of his way to hurt us. Giving him credit is void of any truth but worth a good laugh! WDs ALDHA inspired us. Actually Rays Western did inspire us... not to have an organization like his. Unfortunatly, IMHO, it hasn't worked out that way. One could argue RJ and WD both created pedestals.orgs given their over the top egos.:datz
I'm also a bit confused when you talk about people ridiculing Benton, Myron and Earl. Ive seen none of that.:confused: Yes, yes WD has revolutionized slackpacking and some self serving attitudes that we see on the trail. I'm not sure that he has had a positive effect on the backpacking community. God bless the man, I hope he has a wonderful life. He is welcome at my home anytime.
As for RayJ, yes he has had an impact, and like many in the climbing community where he also made an impact, it's considered a negative one. Yes, he was the first to market UL, but he didn't invent it. I credit Mr. J w/ revolutionizing the rat race mentality on the trail. A true champion of getting from point A to point B as quickly and efficiently as possible. IMHO, the trail would be a better place today w/o him. I don't dislike Ray, but I really don't have a reason to like him. God bless him, hope he has a wonderful life, but if he shows up here I'll tell him the same thing he told us when we asked him for help/advice for the new/current aldha-west, don't darken my doorway. :(

Tha Wookie
11-14-2005, 13:26
Nice use of emodicons, Nean, I commend you.

Nean
11-14-2005, 13:44
Thanks Wook, I worked hard on those.:o