PDA

View Full Version : Jansport Katadin 50L

wamodr01
02-27-2015, 03:24
I have found the Jansport 50L pack and found a good deal on it. I have used and LOVED a much heavier Jansport while I was in scouting and went to philmont. While reading through the pack lists of other hikers i don't think I've seen a single Jansport, is there some obvious reason Im missing?

wamodr01
02-27-2015, 11:31
The pack weighs 2lbs 1oz. Getting close to being UL while still having a frame, and much less expensive than other packs of similar features/capacity.

damskipi
02-27-2015, 12:53
I'm interested in the same pack. The reviews online are mostly positive although most people say they aren't using them for long term backpacking trips. I'm considering this purchase to use when doing training hikes and as a spare for a friend to borrow.

Walkintom
02-27-2015, 13:20
I think Jansport has mostly branded themselves away from the thruhiker crowd though I know that they made some really good gear 30 years ago. It might actually be decent; I wouldn't rule it out automatically.

My neighbor across the street used some Jansport stuff back in the 80's that he still has - of course the pack was 8 pounds.

wamodr01
02-27-2015, 13:42
I went ahead and bought it through the deal site I found it on. The pack + shipping came to $50! The site has a good return policy so if I don't like it, I can get my money back. I will post my review of it once it arrives! Im looking forward to it!

CalebJ
02-27-2015, 14:05
Hard to go too wrong for that price. At first glance it doesn't look like it has the frame support you'd get from one of the upper end ultralight mainstream packs (Exos for example). If you're keeping your total weight low though, it would probably work pretty well.

damskipi
02-27-2015, 15:14
Great price! Better than I've been able to find. Mind sharing your source?

CalebJ
02-27-2015, 15:36
http://www.campmor.com/jansport-katahdin-50-internal-frame-pack.shtml

He might have gotten it elsewhere, but that looks about right. You'll need a filler to get over $50 for free shipping.

Bronk
02-27-2015, 16:01
I've got the Jansport Klamath 75 and have had it probably 4 or 5 years. Zero complaints. I made my buying decision based upon their warranty. I bought a backpack for my books my freshman year of college. After 17 years the backpack was still in great shape...in fact it still looked almost brand new when I washed it and sent it back to their warranty department. The only thing wrong with it was that the zippers didn't work. They sent me a brand new backpack. All I had to pay was to ship the old one back to them...they paid shipping on the new one.

wamodr01
02-27-2015, 16:20
I had a 10% off/Free Shipping coupon with campmor.

damskipi
02-28-2015, 00:26
I bought it as well. Thanks for the info!

Maui Rhino
02-28-2015, 02:44
I have a Jansport Klamath 65 that I bought probably 15 years ago. At 6#, it's not ultralight, but it is still comfortable loaded up with 60+# of gear. I used it on my JMT hike last summer, because I knew I'd be over 40# fully loaded leaving some of my resupply points. Comfort is king, when you got a load to haul. Good pack.... You won't be disappointed.

wamodr01
03-06-2015, 10:53
The pack arrived yesterday. The pack seems to be great quality, made of good durable materials, however when they say its made for an 18" torso they need to get a new measuring tape. This pack is VERY short, too short for my use, so I will be returning the pack. I would recommend this pack for the small/slight hikers or maybe for ladies. For the price/weight its basically a steal, if only I was a smaller individual!

damskipi
03-12-2015, 00:18
Well I finally got my pack in. I agree with wamodr01, this is a very short torso pack. Luckily, I have a very short torso! This will serve my purposes perfectly. There are a few quirks, like the water bottles pockets seem designed to make it as difficult as possible to get a water bottle out while wearing the pack, but I've been wanting to get into modifications anyway so this will be a cheap, fun way to start that. Overall, pleased with the purchase.

Singto
05-30-2015, 08:33
I bought one (Green) of these recently off of Campmor. I'm not at home right now so I can't comment upon fit but, according to everything I've read and videos I've watched, it is a pretty nice lightweight pack for the 49.97 I spent. I'm only 5' 6" with a torso just under 18" so hopefully it will be good for an AT pack.